Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstark

Thermador Freedom Induction cook top vs. Bosch Benchmark

jstark
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

We are getting ready to remodel our kitchen and selecting appliances. I was sure I would get the 36" Bosch Benchmark Induction cook top with the bridge section. But then I saw the Thermador Freedom Cook top. It looks amazing, but I wonder if it is worth the extra money.

Comments (81)

• hwr68
    6 years ago

Hi Lisa Kristel -- the Yale article about Viking vs Freedom induction cooktops is from 2014; I think the Freedom is better reviewed now? It was when I was making my choice. (I think that Yale no longer even sells Viking products due to unreliability issues.) My Freedom is being installed this week (moving in in 2 weeks); I'll post an update then about how well it actually works/how many big pots I can fit/cook with! Good luck with your choices!

• Lisa Kristel
    6 years ago
    Wow, tedbixby , I’m surprised that you couldn’t put more than two large pots on the freedom. So 4 burners goes to 2! My appliance shop does have many working stovetops to try. But not the Viking—I do have the older Viking as I said but have had no problems with it. I guess I just lucky? I’m going to ask again about service. Also I think I should check out the wolf with it’s one 11” burner plus 4 others that bridge. I found a top ten article after I posted and neither thermador nor Viking made the list! Thanks for the tip about cookware. Interesting that it works faster.
  • tedbixby
    6 years ago

Well, my 13" saute pot is huge and pretty much it only would fit in the middle and then finding a place for the handle to go where I still could grab it and not interfere with the control panel... This pot may only end up being used for one pot meals! All these little things that I think about as I'm at the age that practicality & function wins over beauty :)

Viking was purchased some yrs back and there was hope that the new owners, who have a excellent track record on the commercial side of appliances would turn Viking around, but they pretty much have disappeared instead IMO. When was the last time you saw any advertising on Viking? I sure haven't seen anything with them promoting their brand. I also read in the last yr that they were bringing a person in to try and turn around the company. To me all the signs are pointing that Viking is still a problem child.

hwr68- looking forward to hearing your feedback on your new Freedom once you get some play time with it.

• Lisa Kristel
    6 years ago
    hwr68 hope you like the freedom! I’ve got a car full of pots on my way to the appliance store soon...!
  • Design Girl
    6 years ago

Lisa Kristel - Please let us all know what you discover - how many pans can you fit, can they straddle the center, is there noise, etc. Thanks!

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Lisa- here is another discussion on induction if you haven't seen this one. Though it isn't about the Freedom the last entry might be of some help as far as experience with Wolf induction.

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/should-i-choose-a-gas-or-induction-cooktop-for-our-new-kitchen-dsvw-vd~793701[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/should-i-choose-a-gas-or-induction-cooktop-for-our-new-kitchen-dsvw-vd~793701)

• Lisa Kristel
    6 years ago
    Brian S and everyone: the freedom worked just fine with my two largest pots (11”, 12”) and two mediums. Pots on the median line work, but the boost is better if you stay on one side. it heated fast, even though only one pot can use boost at a time. It gets much hotter, faster than my older 6-burner Viking (not that I ever complained but it’s better). One negative was the surface remained much hotter for a longer time after removing the pot. You can place your hand flat in my current Viking as soon as you lift the pot. However, my skin didn’t melt, and besides I don’t make a practice of palming my stove. When I have grandchildren I’ll be careful, but I don’t think it’s dangerously hot. The salesman loves his freedom. He sort of said Viking is more reliable these days, but you can’t beat a stove that accommodates xl pots. The other salesperson said “I’d go with thermador over Viking everyday, all day long”.

I didn’t like the set up on the wolf. One large burner, yes, but the four others are quite small, and he told me: with the bridging you get an oblong shape with uneven heating (from burner to bridge to burner).

So freedom: 1 pt big pots, 1 reliability, -1 for only 4, -1 for weird gray that doesn’t match my counter-TTL: 0
    Viking: 1 pt for six burners 1 for beautiful look -.5 for no 11-12” burner -1 for sketchy reliability (tho I’ve never had an issue). TTL: .5
    (it never really bothered me that some of my pans are bigger than the burners; it’s been fine. And the new one has 6 9”, not 2-9”, 2-small, 2-medium)
    I think the message is Thermador, but I WANT the Viking. They suggested I purchase $299 5 year full parts and service warranty from the store and go with my heart. I don’t need an appliance salesperson; I need a psychologist. (Sorry for the long message. Sheesh.)
  • hwr68
    6 years ago

Lisa -- get what you want, that's the bottom line! No product is perfect but it sounds like you'll be very happy with the Viking :-)

• Design Girl
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lisa K - Thank you so much for your input. I am leaning toward the Viking myself. I do think it is the best looking induction cooktop out there. Although I have a while before my renovation begins, I need to know the appliances before I start. I have currently been cooking on electric for 20 years so either gas or induction will be better than what I have. There is no gas in my area of CT, but I can always get a propane tank. That being said, although I love the look of a gas range top, I don't want to be dealing with cleaning heavy grates. I am planning on a classic white kitchen with marble counters and feel the Viking induction is the best look for that type of kitchen. I LOVE the knobs on the Viking. I don't want to be pushing buttons on my stove, like I have to do on my phone. Thanks for the info on purchasing the 5 year warranty. That will be a great insurance policy in case there are problems, and something I will most certainly do. Did you notice any noise on the Viking? Also, it seems you have already had an older Viking induction. Have you had problems and do you like it? Thanks - PLEASE update us as to how you are doing when you get your new Viking. I know we would all like to know how you're feeling once you are using it on a daily basis.

• williann
    6 years ago

We just finished our kitchen and put in the Bosch Flexinduction cooktop where you can combine 2 cooking areas into a large one and it also has 2 separate cooking areas.

We also were debating between Thermador and Bosch. There were some other Bosch appliances we like better (like the oven door that opens from the side like a door, not from the top) so we just went with Bosch. We also like their dishwashers.

But, I agree with everyone who told you to get what you really want. No brand produces perfect appliances all the time. And, I can research anything to death. Then is turns out to be "paralysis by over analysis". So, just get what you really want and no regrets! You'll be happy!

• Lisa Kristel
    6 years ago
    Analysis paralysis has set in! I think I’ll break it and get the Viking. It is much more attractive than the thermador, and I don’t want buttons on my stove like I have on my phone either. Brian S, I have had no trouble with my Viking. It’s much better than regular electric. I can give you insight into the propane tank for gas: we have that set up in a summer home. It’s not as good as my induction, and yes, harder to clean. It doesn’t seem to get as hot as a regular gas stove ( the pot handles sure do!), but I’m not sure if that’s a function of the type of gas or my GE stovetop. Induction works just as well and for quick heating better/faster than gas, yet it’s safer. I was a hard sell, too, for my first induction stove. Now I’m a convert.
  • Lisa Kristel
    6 years ago
    Oh! The 5yr warranty is not from Viking; it’s offered by my appliance store.
  • Design Girl
    6 years ago

Lisa Kristel - Thanks for clarifying about the warranty. I will make sure I purchase from a store that has that option. I get about the anaylsis/paralysis - I still have some lingering doubts regarding the marble countertops (but I love them so). I'm glad you love the induction and since I have never cooked on gas, I'm sure I will love it too. Please update us when your Viking arrives as to how you feel it is performing. Being that you have had no issues with your current Viking, I can only guess that you will love this one as well. It certainly is the nicest looking one I have seen.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Lisa- I've read through my research that some appliances stores will throw in or give a discount on their warranty that they offer, especially if they are not able to discount the appliance. So it may be worth just asking as all they can say is no. How soon do you plan to purchase? I'm rooting for you that this cooktop will work like a dream as I know there are many of us that are in love with its style and will seriously consider it if we hear good news about it.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago
  • Marci
    6 years ago

I'm so glad I found this thread about the configuration of the 36" induction range! These seem to be the exact things I'm struggling with for my kitchen. I'm so glad to know I'm not alone. It makes me feel far less crazy. Now that it's been a few months, does anyone have an update or new info?

I am like tedbixby in that I often cook with 2 larger pans and am working hard to find the right configuration. Like Lisa, I really like the look of the Viking but I still feel concerned about the distribution of heat with the 9" burners. I also feel somewhat concerned about the quality. I've been cooking on a 30" Electrolux induction for about 10 years, and the issue with the pan size is so annoying.

Thanks tedbixby for the info on the all clad. I hadn't given any real consideration to which pans work better when I'm oversizing the burners... I'm definitely going to be more attentive and consider picking up the kind you suggested.

So has anyone made a decision, and what tipped you? Have you gotten to cook in your new kitchen yet?

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

My kitchen remodel is on hold but hubby, what a dear of a partner!, says I should go ahead and just replace my electric cooktop with an induction so I can play around with it and see if I like it. And when the remodel happens I'll have better idea what I really need. And hopefully the manufacturers will improve their product during this time. In my current kitchen I will not be able to go to a 36" so for the time being I'll settle for a 30". I keep circling back to GE Monogram as it has an 11" burner that is the largest single burner I've come across. I think the Profile also has an 11" but I have to check that out. An important factor for me is the location of the large burner and would the handle of the pot be an issue with other pots on the stove. The other burners are smaller. I also had the opportunity to try my 13" large coppercore All Clad on it at the store and it heated up very fast and the 11" burner overall worked well with that size. I have to check if the 30" configuration would allow me to use the bridge with a larger pan and at the same time use the 11" burner if I got in a pinch.

As I still keep doing my research as I'm still question if Viking has their act together.

The big Kitchen/ Bath show is next week and this is the show that many appliance manufacturers introduce their new products. So maybe we'll see something new. If not, I'll probably go and purchase a GE induction cooktop soon.

• hwr68
    6 years ago

Just an update post about my Thermador Freedom... I've been cooking on it for about a month now and there are no issues. I really like it. The controls are very intuitive and easy to use. It is very easy to clean. I can fit my four largest pots on the cooktop. (Full disclosure: I have not tried to get four pots on including my lobster pot, which is actually the largest pot I own, but I won't drag that out till summer.) I used to have a 5-burner electric cooktop and never used the 5th burner, so for me the Freedom is working out great. I LOVE being able to put the pots anywhere on the cooktop. Plus I really love the look of it! Good luck to everyone with your choices!! (And please forgive the not-perfectly-scrubbed pots! My cookware gets a lot of hard use; I just wanted to show that the 4 biggies fit fine :-)

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

hwr- thanks for your up-date and visuals. Glad that you are enjoying your new cooktop. Seeing yours makes me want to get my electric one replaced sooner than later :)

• Marci
    6 years ago

hwr68-- What a beautiful space! You must be overjoyed!! I would love to snoop your kitchen some more. :) Can you direct me to where you posted other pics/ details of your other choices? I'm assuming the counters are real marble (but what?) and the backsplash is so pretty with the way it catches the light. I'd love to know what it is. Thank you so, so much for posting the pots on the cooktop. That is exactly the info I needed. The funny thing is that I think I have those exact same pots and pans as my go to's! You are finding the cooktop gets hot enough for a sear, as well as cool enough for a low simmer? thanks again for your help!

• Design Girl
    6 years ago

Gorgeous space - exactly the same as I am planning (white cabinets, marble, and subway tile. I am so glad you are enjoying your induction - I'm still trying to decide between the freedom and the viking. I just feel I need knobs. Keep us all informed as to your continued use and any problems or good things you encounter.

• williann
    6 years ago

We bought a Bosch Induction. We have a small kitchen and it's only a 30" with 2 round burners and a long rectangular area to the left where you can put a pot(s) on any part of the area. It can hold 2 large pots. So far, we are really enjoying cooking on an induction oven. The controls on the top right are for the downdraft.

One of my favorite things that I wanted to mention is that the induction oven is so shallow that we were able to put a full size drawer underneath it. So all my cooking utensils (big spoons, ladles, spatulas, tongs, etc) are stored there. Very convenient!

• hwr68
    6 years ago

That is cool to have the slim drawer right underneath. We had to go with a false drawer right under the Thermador unit because it was several inches deep.

• hwr68
    6 years ago

Hi Marci -- thanks for the nice words! I am loving my new kitchen space. The counters are Calacatta Vagli marble, honed & sealed. I got the marble through a stoneyard in CT. The backsplash tile brand is Equipe; the style/color is "Masia, Gris Claro" -- it was an in-stock item at my local tile place and very inexpensive. I posted a few more pics in the idea book "White Kitchen in Connecticut" if you want to see a few other pictures :-)

• Lisa Kristel
    6 years ago

tedbixby c6h5oh Marci Brian S hwr68 : I may have posted this, but looking through the new posts of others, I thought I'd update. I went with the Thermador Freedom, listening to the advice about service issues from my salesperson, and after cooking several big meals, realizing I DID NOT LIKE that my larger pans were unevenly heated by the 9" burners on my current Viking 6 burner induction.

Caveat: I have not cooked on it yet! Our build has been delayed (surprise), but the kitchen will be installed tomorrow! I won't be moving in until June. I'll repost with some real experiential anecdotes about cooking with the Freedom then.

I will deal with missing the aesthetics of the knobs on the Viking--I don't mind, but don't really enjoy removing the knobs now to clean the panel beneath them properly. After a while, things we obsess over are forgotten. I know I'll get used to those electronic controls, especially when I can run a damp paper towel over the whole thing and get it to shine. (By the way, c6h5oh , your soapstone counter sounds lovely, and glad you love the Wolf...just wondering, is it ok to use windex? I just use a soapy sponge and rinse/dry with a paper towel, or for tough spots, glass cooktop cleaner. Maybe I'm mixing it up with my microwave whose instruction manual says No Windex!)

As far as noise, I never noticed more than a pleasant hum when the magnets get rolling, at home, or testing at the store.

Induction is far and away the better choice over electric, for safety and function. Do not get electric.

I can't have gas in my neighborhood. We have a propane tank in our summer house and a GE stovetop--it takes a long time to boil a kettle for tea. It makes it easier to decide to get induction, but truthfully, even if we did have gas, I believe induction is the better choice. (Hard to admit, for an old-schooler like me.)

Dismayed to hear that the Freedom is too deep for a drawer beneath it. That was one of the best things about my current Viking induction--two big drawers for utensils beneath it--wonderful! Oh well.

Our build has been delayed (surprise!) but the kitchen is being installed tomorrow--yay! However, I won't be using it until we move in sometime in June (not July, I hope). Once I get cooking, I'll let you all know how it goes!

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Thanks for the up-date, Lisa. Look forward to hearing how you like your new Freedom when you finally get cooking on it. Good to know that the 9" burners don't work well for heating evenly on larger pots.

• Design Girl
    6 years ago

Thanks for the update - my plans have been delayed as well. I'm still leaning towards the Viking, although BlueStar has now come out with a 5 burner induction that has knobs. I just don't like the look as well as I like the Viking. I liked the greyish color of both the Viking and the Thermador. When I looked at the Thermador (between the panel and the edging), it looked small to me. I will look again. Please update when you start using. Thanks.

• Marci
    6 years ago

Hi Lisa! Please keep us updated once you get cooking. At this point, my plan is the Thermador Freedom, but I haven't committed yet. I'm eager for more info!

That is disappointing about the tool drawer underneath! I have had an electrolux induction for about 10 years and having the shallow spatula drawer as well as 2 Pots and Pan drawers underneath the cooktop has been awesome!

Since I feel like you guys are "my people" (haha), what ovens did you guys choose? I was a bit overwhelmed by all the push towards wifi appliances when I was shopping this week.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Since my remodel is on hold, I can only give you an idea of what I was thinking of purchasing 8 months ago for my ovens after doing extensive research on upper-end ones. I am not a "techi" so the Wi-Fi wasn't something I was looking for. I currently have in my home 18 yr old GE Profiles- very basic but have been very happy with the performance. If I were to buy today, I'd buy the GE Monogram French Oven double oven. Of all the ovens out there, this one or the GE Cafe has the least negative reviews for ovens with a lot of happy owners. They also like the French door as it makes it easier to take items in and out. I think this could be a plus as we age and shrink-lol.. There were other things that I took into consideration that were important to me such as, convention bake, broil elements layout and did the broil offer different temps, how heavy duty are all the racks and how easy do they slide in and out, and how solid is the roller system that the racks roll in and out on. I also looked for ovens that didn't have too many bells and whistles ( more chance of repair issues down the road) as I just wanted an oven that kept its temp consistently and did a fine job of baking. I seriously considered Wolf but last I read, their interior oven cavity flaking (like any of the ovens with blue interior) still was an issue that they were not addressing and I wasn't going to take a chance.

I would just start you search by determining what are the things that you use on your current oven all the time, what you wish you had now and what things do you like or don't like about your current ones. And then look at the ovens that offer what you want. I visited a lot of local and not so local appliances stores (not big box) to pick their brains and learn as much as I could since it is an investment. I took away a lot of good info from each one I spoke to.

Keep us posted.

• Design Girl
    6 years ago

Tedbixby - Thanks for the info on the ovens. My renovation is also on hold (although hopefully not for much longer). I was going to get WOLF double ovens as I was also thinking of getting the SUBZERO built in fridge - I had not heard about the blue chipping off so I am glad I saw your comment. My current kitchen is 20 plus years old and I have all GE profile and monogram in it (with the exception of the dishwasher). I must say that I have had very few repair issues (knock on wood) with anything. My 42 inch built in refrigerator has given me the most problems, but even that has not been horrible. The worst thing is that they don't make some of the parts to repair it anymore. Since I have just turned 60, your comment on the french door oven is a valid one. I have trouble getting some of my Le Creuset pans out of the oven because of their weight. Sometimes I have to get my husband to do it. I don't like the look of the french door oven as well as the regular, but it is one thing to consider. In addition, I don't care about WIFI stuff. It's all too complicated for me to get involved with. I guess I just wanted to get some "higher end" appliances than the ones I've had in the past. Perhaps I should rethink. Any other advice you can give is greatly appreciated as you seem to have done extensive research. What other items had you decided on? Let us all know. Thanks.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

The limited comments/reviews that I've come across on how owners like the configuration of having a french door oven over the regular has been nothing but positive. I was concerned about having to walk around the open door going to the counter as I pulled stuff out of the oven but those that own these ovens say it is a non issue and to remember that the door is half the size of the regular one that we have to lean over. I then went to the appliance store and played with the doors open and it appears that it won't be an issue for me. It also has a large capacity. I took my largest baking sheets to make sure they fit when I was shopping so I'd recommend doing the same with any of your favorite pots/baking sheets that you use on a regular basis.

I also suggest this when shopping for dishwashers. Take your plates and big things that you will want to put in it. I currently have a Bosch, which came with the house, and I don't like it as I can't fit as much into it as my previous Kenmore Elite dishwashers. I hear that most people who are dissatisfied with the Bosch dishwashers is because of their small capacity or that they don't dry well. Any dishwasher that does not have a heating element aren't going to dry well (especially plastic) except if you let the steam stay in the dishwasher for a long time. I start my dishwasher just before heading to bed to insure that things get dry. And yes, today's dishwashers take forever to do a load. It is the nature of the beast mainly because of the cycle needing to dry. Right now, I don't have one that I'm leaning towards. I'd probably look at Kenmore Elites again. I've had a few of those in different houses and have been happy as family members have, too. Even if Sears goes belly-up, I don't think repairs will be an issue. But I think I'd revisit the Kitchenaids as they seem to hold more than most and have a good rack configuration (another thing to consider). I'm not sure about the Samsung's. I think at this point, they need to prove themselves a bit more as far as performance based on what I had read previously. But when I'm back in the market would review them again as they seem to be the most innovative which I don't know if that is good or bad.

In previous homes, I've had motion sink faucets and really miss having one in this house. I would highly recommend having one of those. I also have had 1 HP garbage disposals. Highly recommend. Can throw anything down those suckers without any problems. I saw one You Tube that showed a guy taking a tree branch and shoving it down the disposal. He wanted to know if you really could. You could!-lol.

The plans are for 30" column freezer and a 30" column fridge. I was in the deciding stage on these when the remodel was put on hold ( truthfully, I can't decide if I want to live where we currently are) and was looking at Sub-Zero and the GE Monogram. I have a side by side Monogram and have had a Sub-Zero side by side. No problems with either and current one is 18 yrs old and the SZ was 24 yrs old with no problems when I sold the house. SZ told me that their fridges last about 20 yrs which I heard is about the life of the Monogram. There is a houzzer here who highly recommends the Fridgadair columns ( I believe that is the one) but I looked at it and I felt there was a big difference in quality. Just opening it, it felt flimsy. But at more than half the price it is what it is.

I think I covered everything but if I missed anything or if you have any questions, just shout out.

• Design Girl
    6 years ago

Thank you tedbixby, I currently have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher and am very happy with it. My friend has a Bosch and doesn't like it because she says she can't get anything in it. She had to buy another when hers died because she still wanted to use her old panel. They have made adjustments to make the tines wider but it still doesn't fit as much as my Kitchen Aid. I did have to have a carpenter chisel out some of the studs behind the dishwasher to make my Kitchen Aid flush (it's deeper than the built ins) as the Bosch would have been, but I am very happy with the capacity and performance. Thanks for the info on the refrigerators. I am glad to know you were happy with your Subzero. I like the overall look and the interior configuration of that one. I am NOT getting the columns as I am only 5'3" tall and found the upper shelves harder to reach. I currently have a 42inch monogram side by side and sometimes have a hard time with large lasagna pans etc. Not sure if I will go to a French door, but may do a 48 inch side by side to give me the extra room. Either way I will do a SZ as people in my area (45 minutes outside NYC) want the higher end appliances. Good to know that you like both the GE and the SZ. Pricing seems to be about the same. So I feel I have the fridge and the dishwasher down. Just debating about the double ovens now (what brand) and of course the induction cooktop. I am still drawn to the Viking as I like the looks as well as the knobs. I did check out the Thermador Freedom in my local showroom and with the control panel at the bottom and the part along the edges that didn't work it actually felt small to me. I know that Blue Star has come out with an induction top with knobs but I don't like the looks as well. I will keep looking. Good luck and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

I would go with Thermador as they have such great brand recognition and have been in the appliance business forever! My girlfriends parents redid their kitchen in the early 60's and did all Thermador......it was gorgeous of course and I think they still are gorgeous.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Unfortunately, now a days appliances aren't built like they use to and they have a lot more bells and whistles than ever before so their performance is different than in past yrs. So purchasing an expensive appliance based on a brand name, it's beauty or the length of time that they've been in business, which most have been around for a very, very long time, really isn't the only reasons one should consider a specific brand unless the person is brand name driven rather than performance driven. Really wish it was that simple like the good ol' days when the biggest decision was do you want that in autumn gold or avocado green.

• Lisa Kristel
    5 years ago

tedbixby c6h5oh Marci Brian S hwr68 : Update! I'm horrified to see almost a year ago I posted that I'd move in to my new home in June. 2018. Well, my move in date is May 3, 2019. At least I have an answer for friends asking when. For a while I just let the static breathe on the phone.

I can only tell you now that my Thermador Freedom looks fantastic on our Dekton countertop. That info is buried somewhere since it was chosen almost TWO YEARS AGO. I'll dig it up soon. Alas, I still don't know how it works! Something new probably came out since then. And tedbixby , I didn't know about the color flaking in the Wolf oven!

Well I'm getting old, waiting for this house. My appliances will likely outlast me.

I'll keep you all posted!

• Marci
    5 years ago

I feel ya Lisa. Our project has had delay after delay as well. We are looking at a June move in date--but I'm not holding my breath! The good news is that we will finally be able to give some feedback on our decisions. I feel ashamed to say, I can't even remember which oven I chose at this point. If only I knew then what I know now!

• Donna Reed
    3 years ago

@hwr68 I'm so glad you shared that pic! I have that exact blue pot (though mine is 14Q I think is yours?) that was the one I wanted to see how much space it takes up! I"m between the induction freedom and the wolf. How do you like your freedom now that you've been using it? Any input on other appliances you went with? I'm just starting but wanting to order in next month or so. thanks!

• hwr68
    3 years ago

I still really like the Thermador Freedom induction top. It has worked well — I’ve had it for over three years now. I love being able to put my pots anywhere on the cook surface. All my appliances are Thermador. I love the fridge/freezer but the doors are very, very heavy— I think they come with doors you can push to auto-open now. I wish I had that on mine. Note that I had to pay a special installer to install the doors— our builder tried but they were tricky. The appliance store warned me this would be the case.

The drawer microwave is terrific. Dishwasher cleans very well but the wheels on the lower rack are flimsy and have broken. I have the topaz model so perhaps the more expensive models are better. The double ovens are okay — nothing special but they work perfectly well. Overall I give my suite of applilances a B+ (not an A, due to dishwasher and fridge doors). Good luck with your choice. I have to say I made my decision on the overall “look“ of the appliances and for the freedom cooktop. I think both brands make great products!

• JJ Mekai
    3 years ago

hwr68, do you find even heat distribution in your Thermador wall ovens? Are the cooling fans very loud?

• JJ Mekai
    3 years ago

@Design Girl, what ovens did you purchase and are you happy with them?

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@JJ Mekai - It's been 3 years and we've finally decided on a plan. We are waiting on permits and will begin in the next month. I haven't bought anything yet, but have decided to get Wolf ovens.

• JJ Mekai
    3 years ago

@Design Girl, would love it if you would post a review once you're up and running. I realize it may be a while.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@JJ Mekai - Will do - Because we are also doing an addition it will be a while. Not scheduled to be finished until November.

• lenorae11
    2 years ago

@hwr68 One concern that I've read about with the Thermador Freedom (and Bosch) is that an adjacent burner turns completely off for 15 seconds when you go into boost mode. Has this caused problems for you? Also, I read that with Bosch Benchmark, it's cumbersome to set the temp because the controls were not individual by "burner". Is this the case with the Thermador? Do you find it easy to work with?

• Teresa Wagner_Williams
    last year

i’m curious if there are any updates on appliances, specifically induction cooktops? We are building and I have to choose appliances soon. i narrowed down between Monogram and Thermador (we get better builder deals if we go with packages). I want an induction cooktop and ironically the package deal with Thermador is cheaper even with the Freedom cooktop. But i love the look of the Monogram, just concerned about the quality of the refrigerator (and Monogram dishwasher which would be free).

• Design Girl
    last year

I've never been a fan of packages because not every company makes the best of every appliance. I don't like GE dishwashers as I feel they don't do an adequate job cleaning (my daughter just got rid of hers). That being said, I had a monogram fridge for 28 years and was pretty happy with it. I just got done with a huge renovation where I did a ton of research and opted for a SubZero fridge (same price as a Monogram), Wolf double ovens, a Bosch dishwasher, and a Fulgor Milano Induction range top. I was going for a more classic look and didn't like the induction cooktops that required you to scroll to set the temp. It was such a pain, I just wanted to be able to quickly turn a knob. Fulgor was the only one that had a RANGE TOP and so far I am VERY happy with it. I'd suggest you see what the prices look like without a package. It may not be much different and will allow you to pick and chose what you want. A free dishwasher isn't really any good if it doesn't clean you dishes well. Monogram is now owned by Haier, a Chinese company and I'd prefer to throw my support elsewhere. I've also heard that Thermador discontinues their parts after 7 years, but haven't done a deep dive on that. Good luck.

• Teresa Wagner_Williams
    last year

No, I'm not typically a fan of packages either but this is a second home and with Thermador, we would get not only a free dishwasher but also a free wall microwave. If I went with the best in each appliance category I would be way over budget. For the induction cooktop, I don't want any kinds of knobs- I'm looking for clean lines and low maintenance! We've had a Thermador refrigerator and professional range for over 16 years and have only had repairs on the range once (definitely outside the 7 year range too, so parts are available). Good point about Monogram now being owned by Haier, though!

• Design Girl
    last year

Understood - if those are your choices, I'd go with Thermador.

• r
    9 months ago

Hello Design Girl, did you consider at the Gag 400 vario series induction 36 in cooktop with knobs?

• Design Girl
    9 months ago

@r - I did but the knobs were odd and the whole thing was too modern for my space.