Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcitybcity

Urgent bathroom advice needed, is this vanity too long?

Jen Osborne
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This Monday the plumber
is removing the laundry tub/column basin combo in my small bathroom and installing the
new vanity with countertop running atop the washing machine.
I have chosen a long vanity so it does cover holes in floor and new piping as well as to provide much needed storage.

Just now I have moved it 'in situ' in front of the old tubs to get an idea of what it will look like and now worry that it is too big for the space.

Another concern is water damage as it is so close to the shower, altho I am very careful and do have a shower curtain lining.

What do you all think?? Is it ok or should I run to ikea to get something smaller?!

PS: A glass shower screen would be great as well as redoing the floor and taking down the wall between bath and toilet, I know, I know...But I am on a very tight budget and can only offer the vanity work for now!

When I first moved in...

Comments (28)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Not certain where you live, but I would drive seventy miles to do laundry before i'd have the laundry machine in my bathroom. Not sure how you will clean the floor alongside it either. Shorter would be better

Jen Osborne thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    7 years ago

Yes.......the vanity definitely needs to be shorter.

Jen Osborne thanked Annie Santulli Designs
  • Najeebah
    7 years ago
    Hi Jen. I think it's fine as is, provided you keep the curtain in the bathtub while using it (bathtub) to prevent water splashing out.
    I like long vanities, in bathrooms large enough. I find the counter and storage space useful.
    Jen Osborne thanked Najeebah
  • lostinreno
    7 years ago

The first comment is not very useful is ir? Not all of us have the means to have the perfect house with a laundry etc

I like long vanities too, you are making the best of that space and that vanity is lovely.

Later when you have a bit more cash you can have a pony wall abutting the vanity and a screen panel on top of it.

All the best.

Jen Osborne thanked lostinreno
  • gustaviatex
    7 years ago

I think it looks lovely and a bit of care with the shower curtain and/or liner will be fine. Hang a short towel off the side of the vanity when you shower if you think it might splash.

Oh, I see you have a liner. I wet the tile a bit and then stick the liner to the tile during a shower for extra protection. I once had a bathroom with carpet and never got it wet.

Jen Osborne thanked gustaviatex
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    7 years ago

It looks like you have legs on these cabinets that hold the cabinet off the floor and therefore away from any water that gets on the floor. You can use a PVC board for the toe kick cover (can get at Home Depot) which is water resistant. Another option is to continue the top down the side of the vanity (waterfall application) and it will protect the side and bottom of the vanity.

On another note, I don't know how much smaller the next size down would be but I would consider at least another 6" reduction. Are you trying to center the sink on something? A wider size doesn't necessarily mean better storage when you are talking about vanities.

Jen Osborne thanked Scott Design, Inc.
  • Jen Osborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, the cabinet will be on metal legs and the PVC kicktoes is a good ideas as quite a bit of the piping will be showing. This vanity was given to me, and considering how much they do cost, I was very grateful.

The sink will be centered above the doors, is that ok?

• PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    7 years ago

Centering the sink above the doors is typical. I was only wondering if you had a center of the mirror situation going with your sink.

5" is indeed close but manageable. You are to be commended in making this transformation on such a tight budget using the limited options available to you.

Jen Osborne thanked Scott Design, Inc.
  • Kris Mays
    7 years ago

It's common for the laundry to be in the kitchen or bathroom in the UK, which is where I'm assuming the OP is.

I think you'll be fine, Jen. But the next thing on my list would be a glass panel to sit on your tub between when you have the funds.

Jen Osborne thanked Kris Mays
  • Jen Osborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kris, yes the screen is definitely on the next to do list ! and a total reno of the space in a few years. Just couldn't live with the laundry tub and sad column basin any longer!

Scott, the old shaving cabinet was another reason to extend the vanity so their outer edges correspond . I plan on removing it and replace it / cover the hole with a large mirror that cover the all wall.

Another option would be to have a tiled niche with shelve and a a mirror adjacent

Altho if I can somehow patch the wall, a simple round or square mirror above the sink would be my preferred option.

• Najeebah
    7 years ago
    not sure what needs repairing on the wall, but I think with the long vanity, you won't need the storage of a niche shelf. also, the lack of shelving and large mirror will give the bathroom a great clean lined, expansive look
    Jen Osborne thanked Najeebah
  • Jen Osborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sounds good to me! I Very much dislike shelves that are for displaying stuff only anyway.

Once I remove the current shaving cabinet, there will be a hole in the wall as it is semi recessed :/

• ker9
    7 years ago
    Spray the bath side of vanity with Thompson Water Seal, it's clear and will help.

I wonder if the vanity is the correct height for a sink on top.
    Jen Osborne thanked ker9
  • lostinreno
    7 years ago

Nautical grade varnish.

• Jen Osborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good point, but I rarely take baths so I don't think it will too bad. A plumber did suggest to move the taps under the window.

• ker9
    7 years ago

We we put the water seal on our wood cabinet next to dishwasher. Test a spot first. Easier to apply than varnish.

Jen Osborne thanked ker9
  • Jen Osborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And it's done!

I did not run to ikea to get a shorter vanity, I used what I had and here's the result, ta daaa!

It
    still need some tweaks (tiles, pull too low, push back washing machine
    etc) and lots of cleaning (are bathroom renovation messy or what) but
    I'm content with it, it's an 100% improvement! And the plumber didn't
    think it was too long, nor too high..

Now onto some decoration, I do fancy some pops of coral in there, what do you think?

Oh , and should I have the kick-board to hide the feet? Maybe one that's clip on like the ikea ones, so easy to remove if needed.

Ps: Sorry about the bad photos, my phone doesn't want to focus anymore.

• ker9
    7 years ago

Looks great looks great and coral would pop!

Jen Osborne thanked ker9
  • PRO
    Magda Interiors
    7 years ago

I like how it turned out. Vanity is the perfect lenght. you have your sink, and plenty of counter space. I assure you live somewhere in europe, where you don't have laundry room or dryer machines, so washing machines are located in bathrooms or even kitchen:) I would put a toe kick, cause not all the dust will hide under the cabinet. Great job!

Jen Osborne thanked Magda Interiors
  • lostinreno
    7 years ago

It looks great Jen!

• Jen Osborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Brinie, wrong post I guess?!

• Jen Osborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Eurostyle! I'm actually in Australia, my unit is too small for a laundry, it happens even here :)))

• brinnie
    7 years ago
    BTW- I love how your project turned out! Glad my post accidentally ended up here, so I could enjoy your post:)
    Our washer is in a closet close to bathroom and bedrooms which is where 90% of our laundry is generated. I'm sure you will love the convenience of having it in your bath, and will enjoy doing the wash in such a charming space.
    Jen Osborne thanked brinnie
  • PRO
    Closed
    7 years ago
    It looks like you've done a great job at maximizing the functionality of a very tough space to design in. My concern would be more focused on the water at the floor and not the vanity itself. As mentioned by several other helpful pros, a simple pvc splash panel would do the trick until further remodeling can be done. An experienced tile contractor could build a knee wall between the vanity and tub and place glass block on top of that.
  • PRO
    KHB Interiors
    7 years ago
    HI

It came out nice using your limited space. I would still consider some sort of waterproofing on the side.

Best of luck !

KHB Interiors in New Orleans

Please do me a huge favor and follow us on Houzz!

https://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors
    Jen Osborne thanked KHB Interiors
  • Jen Osborne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks guys for the lovely comments and helpful advices!

• Lisa Williams
    7 years ago

Jen, great job! I know this post is a few months old, but I had to say nice work! The room looks much more polished and functional with the long vanity and counter covering your washer. Is it a washer/dryer combo?

I think it looks great as a combo bath and laundry...and sensible for washing towels, etc. If it is a combo, you could always use the dryer feature to warm up a towel or two while bathing/showering. Or even your pjs or robe, on a cool night :)

I value "inside laundry" and would do most anything to have it in the house, not on the porch, in the garage, in a shared apartment laundry room. Inside my house or condo, for my family's use only...if at all possible :)