Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Asian style bathrooms. Yes or No?

Jeannie Nguyen
9 years ago
What's your take on the Asian style bathrooms? Does it relax you or is it not your taste?

Vote for your choice below! If you have an Asian inspired bathroom, tell us about it and post your photos too.

Zen Paradise · More Info
YES - It's so calming.
NO - I don't find zen in this style.

Comments (67)

• lindakhughes
    9 years ago
    One of the most beautiful bathrooms I have ever seen!
  • Rosanne
    9 years ago
    Photo example is beautiful, but I am a more simple, down to earth person with simple, down to earth tastes. I'd rather have a beautiful property and a plain bath :)
  • Roula Georgiou
    9 years ago
    Asian style has a beautiful warmth sometimes. In real life not many Asian homes have bathrooms like that. Although the design is appealing the gods and the buddas are out of place and totally unnecessary. No budda or statue can give you that kind of peace.
  • cyndela
    9 years ago
    I think you should know that putting a Buddha in a bathroom shows a complete lack of understanding and respect.
  • PRO
    clh9Design
    9 years ago
    I think it is a calming design, but I don't see what is Asian about it. It also looks very large, which is great if you have the space, but most people don't.
  • PRO
    All Tile & Marble Design, Inc.
    9 years ago
    If you can afford this type of lifestyle I doubt you need to worry about how to clean it. That would be what you pay your cleaning service to do!
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Smilesimply, you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder for some reason, why is that?
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think it's awful. All those different textures of stone, nothing serene to my eye.
  • joycealaina
    9 years ago
    is the floor travertine, marble? how does it hold up when wet. I love marble and had it in the bathroom. It was beautiful, with an inset of river rocks. However, with wet feet, it was far too slippery.
  • dooenmabest
    9 years ago
    tw123456, I think your comment about never having Asian décor in your home may have been taken on a personal level. You may have simply meant that you don't prefer Asian décor, but it could have been taken the wrong way. Smile simply... keep smiling. :)
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    Yes - if it makes sense in the house and with the homeowners. Otherwise it will look gimmicky.
  • joycealaina
    9 years ago
    in my experience as a retired Interior Designer with a degree in fine art, I find wherever there is art we have not seen before we get critical. I have no idea why this is so. I am thinking about this when I read the comments. (this is not so in this case, because a solid question has been asked, so of course it requires an response.)

I am creative in everything I do, and I follow my vision for my place as it unfolds. When I design someone else's home, I follow their v
  • PRO
    Meg Blu Home
    9 years ago
    It's a bit misleading because that particular bath looks busy- not zen at all.
  • Blake Gassaway
    9 years ago
    SOOOOO Beautiful, serenity! Open clean lines
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    dooenmabest, my post was very clear, "will never have Asian decor in my home". What makes you think that I meant something other than what I posted? Also, is it wrong for someone to express his/her decorating preference?
    Oh by the way, I think you forgot to post your criticism of smile's preference in decorating her home.
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Yes let's smile simply, I think it is a good idea too, but why did you DELETE your (challenging) post which stated that Indians have no problem with cleaning their homes? Also, demanding of me "tw123456 ..........do you understand?", that I respond to your explanation of that post which sounded very (contrived, and insincere).
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    It's not my favorite style for a bathroom but it does relaxes me.
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Ok smile simply, or Sujatha Smitha, or, whoever you are, and who you are going to call your self next. You need to grow up, and quit playing games. First you insult through your posts, you then delete those insulting posts, then you play the part of the sweet peace loving person, and lastly, you change your name, but now it is time to grow up because, this is a grownups site!!
  • sally78
    9 years ago
    Not for me (answering the posted question). I want to stretch out in a tub, not sit up straight. It's a space saver, but I wouldn't find such a tub relaxing.
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hmmm,,,, thus far, this has not been a calming, zen-like bathroom thread;))
  • User
    9 years ago
    I guess I missed the drama....
  • armygirl1987
    9 years ago
    HMMMMMMM
  • User
    9 years ago
    baaa baaa bye black sheep;))
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Bye bye Sujatha ;0)!!
  • gracey999
    9 years ago
    another easy one!
  • patatas
    9 years ago
    Stop saying Zen. It's totally misused in the field of decorating and makes its users sound dumb.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Masters, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't call this bathroom "Asian" either. It's more a Contemporary style enhanced with some Asian elements like the statue and lanterns. It's actually a fairly neutral space and could lend itself to a variety of styles depending on how you accessorize. All in all, very nicely done!
  • Jean
    9 years ago
    Buddhas should not be in a bathroom-FYI
    http://feng-shui.lovetoknow.com/Feng_Shui_Buddha_Location
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    jeananncs, hy shouldn't buddhas be in a bathroom?
  • SUJATHA
    9 years ago
    tw123456, would you wish to keep Jesus idol in the bathroom?
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Hey sujatha, where did you come from, I thought you said you were leaving this thread for good, and not coming back, hmmmmm ;0(.
  • SUJATHA
    9 years ago
    Hi tw123456, how are you? I could not stop myself commenting when i saw your post.
  • Jean
    9 years ago
    The first thing you want to do when placing a Buddha statue or any statue of a deity is to make sure the location is truly one of reverence. This means you should never place one in a bathroom or kitchen. Also, you want the height of the Buddha to be at least eye level. Looking down at a deity is considered rude and irreverent. Avoid placing near electrical outlets, elect or equipment with moving parts and motors. This type of activity disturbs the surrounding energy.
  • SUJATHA
    9 years ago
    Every nook and corner of a house is meant for particular activity. I really wonder how can one think of placing a deity in a bathroom. It make no sense to me. One should learn from Indians, the common sense of using things in the right place and right way....
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Sujatha, I guess you really didn't MEAN what you said about LEAVING this thread huh! LOL
  • krf9
    9 years ago
    Not for me. 'Asian style' or whatever this is just doesnt float my boat.
  • SUJATHA
    9 years ago
    Some people are pain in the neck, but have to bear with them....
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Sujatha, is this TRUE CONFESSIONS time? It seems you know the first step to recovery of being a PAIN IN THE NECK, which is, 1 recognizing that you are, and you have done that, good for you ;0)!
    Sujatha, keep up the good work, now on to the next step which is, 2, putting other people down to prove to your SELF that you are BETTER than they are, really does not change the BAD SELF IMAGE which you very obviously have of your self.
    You need to realize the way you have posted, and also (DELETED) in the past was, offensive to other people. I have never seen anyone post just to be offensive.
    Sujatha, work on step two, I know you can do it, if you really try ;0).
  • SUJATHA
    9 years ago
    I pray god to bless tw123456 forever.
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Thank you Sujatha ;0).
  • SUJATHA
    9 years ago
    ThAnKs a LoT
  • tw123456
    9 years ago
    Every time I see the skylight over the tub in this bathroom, Star Trek comes to my mind, "beam me up Scotty right through this porthole".
  • SUJATHA
    9 years ago
    Hello tw12345, thanks for liking my comment
  • PRO
    Cast Glass Images Inc.
    9 years ago
    It looks spa-like but I wouldn't classify it as "Asian". I think it's beautiful though, it's definitely an acquired taste/style. Definitely feeling some "zen" as it reminds me of a spa-like atmosphere
  • Roula Georgiou
    9 years ago
    beautiful but unnecessary and unpractical
  • SUJATHA
    9 years ago

Roula, could you explain what is unnecessary and unpractical in this bathroom according to you,,,,,............

• User
    8 years ago

Well, All Tile and Marble Design, I would think about how to clean it, whether I was doing it, or a cleaning service was. I would have paid for it and I would want it to be properly taken care of.

• PRO
    All Tile & Marble Design, Inc.
    8 years ago

I think it is a GORGEOUS bathroom!

• melinda pollock
    8 years ago

I like it, but the style wouldn't fair well within 5-10 years.

• Jasminder Singh
    8 years ago
    Good