Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Do you sleep with your windows open or closed?

Emily H
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Everyone has their own specific recipe for a great night's sleep. Are you someone that likes to sleep with their windows open or closed?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments! (photos encouraged)

Comments (163)

• PRO
    Anslie's Interior Decor
    9 years ago
    Open all year round in Bermuda! Unless it was a particularly rainy day and the tree frog chorus is in full force.
  • Mark Beaty
    9 years ago
    Open with the Whole House Fan ON.
    I love the fan!!!
  • catz1
    9 years ago
    I am constantly opening and shutting widows, turning central a/c on and off. Love the fresh air, but it gets hot here. Have lived where you couldn't open them at all for all of the above mentioned reasons. Very thankful to be now living where it is safe, non polluted and a little drier. Must have ceiling fans on at all times. It is getting louder everyday as my country home is now in the suburbs due to tremendous growth.
  • Laurie Kobor
    9 years ago
    I love sleeping with the windows open, otherwise I miss the sounds of the wind, the fog horn on Lake Michigan, the birds in the morning. But since I live in Wisconsin, the windows remain closed for most of Winter - especially this year!
  • shelleyhmln
    9 years ago
    In the summer, I keep the windows tightly closed so that the a/c can do it's magic. However, in the winter, I keep them widely open.
    I love having a cold room and lots of blankets to keep me comfortable.
    I live in the midwest, so the winters are really cold, but I still keep them open all winter long.
  • skisaras
    9 years ago
    I'd love to leave mine open but unfortunately, the mosquitoes would love that too.
  • uniquemonique
    9 years ago
    If you live in Tampa FL you need to leave them closed year round or be murdered in your bed.
  • krf9
    9 years ago
    Open. We have screens, and bedrooms are on the second floor.
  • designideas4me
    9 years ago
    OMG uniquemonique... thank god I didnt move to Florida.
  • sietie
    9 years ago
    Open year round in Michigan. Love the fresh air any month of the year. In the winter we have a heavy feather duvet but love the fresh air and cold pillows. In summer, we run the ceiling fan and have the A/C closed off in the bedroom. We would sleep outside if we could!!
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    Open in the warm months for sure...with my pedestal fan oscillating on low. zzzzzzzzz
    This was the main reason I had to get a 2 storey home. I wouldn't feel so good about sleeping this way on the 1st floor!
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    @ tw123456
    "Can never sleep with windows open, hubby likes controlled climate ;0(. Also never ride cars with windows open, yep, you guessed it, controlled climate again! ;0( "

.... But what about what YOU like? It's all about what he wants?

Just sayin'.....
  • Mark Beaty
    9 years ago
    That's a good post!

I sleep with the Windows open when I can and NEVER drive a car with the windows open (that's for smokers to open their windows-probably what keeps me from ever opening them is not wanting others to think I smoke.). (Which I don't smoke in case there is ANY confusion!)
  • User
    9 years ago
    Always open, even when living in Oslo.
  • jayann517
    9 years ago
    I'm with you Shelleyhmin, that's exactly what I do. I live in the north east, but the winters aren't as cold as they used to be:( .
  • jenniewest2002
    9 years ago
    Depends on the humidity. In Houston it is so hot and humid, that we have to run the ac. when it is cooler, I keep the windows open. Even in the winter with the heat running I have to crack the bedroom window.
  • brendaspaeth
    9 years ago
    Open whenever possible. No too much in the winter when it's -20!:)
  • Bernadette B
    9 years ago
    closed. Dogs go nuts if the windows are open. They hear too much.
  • Rachel Smitherman
    9 years ago
    I love sleeping with the windows open in the early Spring and Autumn.
  • angelacatterson
    9 years ago
    I sleep with the bedroom windows opened all year round. I live in Scotland!
  • honeyfieldsgraincompany
    9 years ago
    In the Summer, no. In the Winter, sometimes...at least for a while.
  • lizthefrizz
    9 years ago
    Would love to be able to do this, but in Houston, there are just too many mosquitoes!
  • jginteriors
    9 years ago
    I live in Canada and keep them open all year round (just a crack in the winter). I LOVE a cold bedroom and a heavy duvet!
  • dreamhomechicc
    9 years ago
    Closed! I left them open once by accident and had to go and sleep in the lounge because of moths and spiders that came in *spineshivers* :/
  • jomearaak
    9 years ago
    Open, I live in Alaska, sleep under down comforters, and I can't sleep unless my bedroom is freezing, I'm wierd.
  • PRO
    David A. Nice Builders Inc.
    9 years ago
    Just a small gap in the summer unfortunately in Canada :(
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Open whenever possible. No too much in the winter when it's -20!:)
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    That's a good post!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    That's a good post!
  • xinjiangfandian
    9 years ago
    Not in the winter but wide open in the summer
  • PRO
    Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd
    9 years ago
    Usually open in the summer, and closed in the winter. It depends on the noise level as well, and if there are mosquitoes in the summer.
  • kristinanadreau
    9 years ago

closed if we need the AC. open with fan if we do not need the AC. We have burglar bars and guard dogs. We live in the sub-tropics.

• Bill Sellars
    9 years ago

Living in central AZ does have it's advantages. From mid October till first of June it still gets cool at night in the high desert, Thus windows are open at night to take staleness out of the air and to allow for cool night breezes and a good night sleep.

• pdk920
    8 years ago

Eastern Oregon. I sleep upstairs, so I open the windows in May and close them in about October.

• Paul N
    8 years ago

Not during the winter, early fall, or early spring which can last 7-8 months here in Wisconsin; but on comfortably warm nights they are open.

• PRO
    El Dorado Furniture
    8 years ago

Not in Florida! Your house will get filled with bugs!

• SueBee
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Always open during the summer!! Our North Dakota summers are wonderful!!

Winter time they are definitely closed!!

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    8 years ago

Closed. Light sleeper so keeping the windows open would wake me up!

• PRO
    Shakuff
    8 years ago

Open when it's not freezing or too humid outside...haha

• pdk920
    8 years ago

I am so glad to live in a place where it's safe to open windows. But why don't people screen out insects, or install bars for safety? I sure would rather than never having fresh air.

• ecpt
    8 years ago

Open windows (with screens), all thru spring and fall, but anytime the temp/humidity accomodate. But this is for 2nd floor bedrooms. Our main level windows have security latches on the inside so that the window can only be open 2 inches or so, if we choose. In general, given where we live (mid-Atlantic Eastern U.S.) our windows are open 5 - 6 months of the year.

• angelacatterson
    8 years ago
    Opened all year round (Scotland) who'd have thought! My daughters say it's like Siberia!
  • PRO
    Morrone Interiors
    8 years ago

Closed due to mosquitos in Florida :)

• PRO
    Fratantoni Interior Designers
    8 years ago

Living in Arizona its crazy to keep your windows open in the summer because of the heat and in the winter it is way to cold at night (I know some of you might laugh at that but to us its cold). The spring time is when you see most people opening their windows and utilizing their screen doors.

• PRO
    Charles Neal Interiors
    7 years ago

closed and black out :)

- Charles Neal

http://www.charlesneal.com

• smred
    7 years ago

Open, every night, no matter the temp (even in MA).

• User
    7 years ago

One of the pillars of wellness is fresh air, yes always open.

• mjkjrobinson
    6 years ago

My husband and I sleep with our window open all the time! We can"i sleep with it closed!

• Bev
    6 years ago

Always closed. I'm very allergic to mold and we have lots of mold in Ohio! I would be deathly ill sleeping with open windows.

• drummer
    last year

Absolutely have to be open otherwise the room is a little smelly by the morning. Specially with the dog in there.