Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
designideas4me

Are you grateful for what you have or do you compare & want better?

designideas4me
9 years ago
This question is about feeling happy and content with the decisions you have made to buy the house you did. I suspect that my perception and experience if different than many of you but I am sure you can relate on some level. I say that because I live in an area where there is constantly new construction and model homes on display. I also ask because for myself since buying this house, its like I never really ever stopped the search of looking. Of course I decorate and remodel but I also always look at pictures of houses that come on the market and often stop by open houses in my area. This can be good and bad. Bad in that it makes me long for all I dont have and wish I could afford to put into my house and good in that it does give me ideas to use in the future. But I suppose I will always be this way and hope and wish and strive for improvement or what I perceive to be more beautiful and functional and basically better. At what point do you allow yourself to just be happy for what you do have, a house, a pool, a safe neighborhood,great weather,etc? And how do you work towards improvement when you dont have tons of money to spend and when the path to your dreams seems unattainable, yet also be content and happy with what you do have now?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    This goes with everything in life.
  • nansdrew
    9 years ago
    At any point, you can always stop and think of all the things you have and are thankful for--material and immaterial. Make that list define your happiness instead of someone else's list.
  • designideas4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well maybe the question should have been, does being on this website and seeing beautiful homes and possessions of others make you long for that which you cant have or does it make you happy and inspire you to work harder to get it or does it just make you feel sad because you are always wishing for more and better? Or maybe you are just grateful for what you do have and look and say ok well, thats nice but I cant afford it so I will just be happy with what I have? I mean I am sure not everyone on here is rich and can just remodel and spend endlessly so how do people balance their desires with their means and remain happy and inspired without feeling that its beyond their reach? Maybe someone can relate. Its not that crazy of a question..lol