Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmc36

What Length should my Cornice Be?

Tina
9 years ago
My nursery window is 70.5 by 58.5, and I want full panels on each end, so how long should I make my cornice? I want the curtain panels to just slightly line the windows to let in as much light as possible. The panels won't have to close all the way because I am doing a roman shade. The whole wall itself is only 11 Ft and I don't want it to be just a wall of fabric, this is why it is such a design dilemma for me.

Comments (7)

• Tina
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi- Thanks for your help, I am having everything custom made but at Lowes so really the girl is no help just an order taker. The width of the panel is 120" but of course if that is too skimpy for a 70.5 window then I would just order more to give it a fuller look. However, the wall itself is only 11ft and I don't want to end up with a wall of fabric. Thanks for the tip on the cord for the girl never even mentioned that, but like I said she is just an order taker and not a window designer.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Please read up on window blind cord safety before buying blinds, especially if you are dealing with an order taker, not a professional.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Sorry, I was wrong. I see that blind manufacturers recommend using only *cordless* blinds in children's rooms.
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    9 years ago
    How tall is the wall and how much space is available above the window to the ceiling (or crown molding)? To verify: you are planning drapery panels, a roman shade and a cornice (3 treatment layers)? Let me know those details and I can help you with your proportions.
    Tina thanked SK Designs
  • Tina
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The wall is 10ft but vaulted, 8ft would be the tallest you could mount something straight across before the wall starts to pitch into the vault. Available space above the window is 13inches. The cornice itself only comes in a 6" inch drop or a 12" drop. I do know to go with the 12 because a cornice @ 6" would not be wide enough. I figure I need at least 3inches of the cornice to cover the window to hide the top of the roman shade. But I'm going to find out the exact measurements of the part of the shade that the cornice should hide. Yes 3 treatment layer.
  • Tina
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well I really never got my question answered on what length should my cornice be? So I cut out a big piece of cardboard, two pieces and I grabbed some push pins and some old sheer drapes laying around. I put the two big pieces of cardboard and curtains up at different heights wrote down the measurements, and took a pictures with my phone after each adjustment. I found out that my shades do not come in cordless but they have this little piece that can be mounted behind my drapery that secures the cord to the wall making them baby safe. Also they come without a valance so I really only need my cornice to come down 2" only because to my eye 1" was not enough. Because my cornice is 12" wide or aka 12" drop I have room to play with the length of my drapes. That means since I only have 2" of cornice covering the window I have 10" of space to hide my curtain rod. Please make sure you do not measure for the rod to go directly across the window for even though your cornice will hide it on the inside, you will see it from the outside. So for all you newbie's like myself, you can get great treatments just please take the time to make a mock of whatever you need, and just step back and look!