Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clyon

Looking for fabric ideas to reupholster a great chair - thank you!

clyon
12 years ago
I am looking for suggestions on fabric to reupholster a 75 year-old lounge chair from my grandfather. The bedroom is painted BM Coastal Fog and I have a West Elm bedspread in poppy, which I like, though don't absolutely have to build the room around. My style is fairly minimalist, though not ultra-modern. I tend toward the geometrics and am hoping to branch out with this chair and do something a little bold and maybe a floral or similar. I've attached pictures of the bed and the chair. And if anyone has thoughts on refinishing the chair as well - I'm open to changing the finish. Thank you!

Comments (20)

• lefty47
    12 years ago
    HI - What's really big right now is the over size floral prints - that could be fun . The animal print idea is also on trend and a good shot of whimsy. My only thing about doing something on trend is you don't know how long it well last before it's out ,or you become tired of it. And upholstering is expensive to do . You could just do a good textured fabric and put the shot of bold on an accent pillow. But if you are going the new bold way then have the wood laquered in a shiny black or white or maybe a color that's in the fabric. I wouldn't do the buttons on the back. Great Chair by the way.
  • dsma
    12 years ago
    If it were me I would go with stripe like the chair but of course in a different color. I would try to get stipes with all the colors then if you ever change anything it would go with everything.
  • clyon
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you all - Jamieson, I have to say, I've never been a big animal print fan, but the examples you included are really sharp and cool-looking. lefty47 and dsma, I do like the ideas of floral or stripes - definitely something not neutral I think would be good in the space especially since the walls and floor are gray. If any of you are interior designers, any particular fabric designers or companies you like for upholstery fabric? I live in Vermont, where there is some great design stuff, but not a ton in the way of places to buy fabric - might need to look online. Thanks again!
  • Jamieson
    12 years ago
    Hey good luck! Just a few pointers... when choosing your upholstery go for woven as opposed to printed, as woven designs last longer. The higher the thread count (meaning threads woven per square inch), and the denser the fabric is means it will wear longer. Before taking this baby to a professional upholsterer ask if you might be able to have a look in their showroom just to get an idea of what they have for fabrics, and ask for an estimate. It's a great chair, and I'm sure you'll do it justice! Good luck!
  • Jamieson
    12 years ago
    Ooops, that's a lot of luck!
  • michigammemom
    12 years ago
    The simple lines of your headboard reflect a minimalist Shaker style whereas the carved and curved legs of your ottoman suggest French Provincial. You may wish to ask your upholsterer to add a skirt to the ottoman.
  • PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    12 years ago
    Consider going to a local calico corners or Ethan Allen. Take fabric memo samples That interest you and try them in the room. Work with their design associate or consider help from a local designer for a few hours. They would be able to help you pull the whole room together.
  • PRO
    Jeanmarie Danieu
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would definitely browse through furniture & fabric stores, or even here on houzz (I searched floral prints & found several ideas) to get a feel for what inspires you! I think a bedroom should be soothing so I wouldn't go for anything to crazy and besides you have to live with it for a long time. Going with something a bit neutral might be the right choice that way it will go with whatever bedding you choose in the future. You can always add pillows (floral print, animal print, bold colors, etc) to change it up from time to time without much cost. Once you pick a fabric that inspires you, you can decide on the wood finish. I like the fabric on the chairs in this photo: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/what-is-the-manufacturer-of-the-chairs-a-dsvw-vd~73710
    Good luck with your project and have fun!
  • betsyweisberg
    12 years ago
    I agree with the zebra! Have fun with it!
  • clyon
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you all - great ideas and great advice. Jamieson, I will definitely look into woven vs print - I do want it to last, plus there are two small kiddos around here, who will likely be climbing all over it... and I have plans to head to the upholsterer's showroom next week - he comes recommended by a carpenter I really trust and has fabric for me to look at. michigammemom, you are right - our style is very Shaker, throughout our house - I'm looking forward to bringing something new in. Joni, we do have an Ethan Allen right nearby - that is a great thought. Jeanmarie, I love the chairs you sent the link to! And, betsyweisberg, that's two votes for the zebra, but it may be a little out of my comfort zone... Will keep you all posted - it may take a little while, but I'll try to post a photo of the final piece. Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Sanderson has fabulous wovens, reminiscent of the shaker style. I would go bold on the chair, it will add such a pop of life and color to the room! I found a great oversized floral that would compliment your bedding and mission style furniture. Yes, please post pictures of your final product, we'd love to see what you go with! Good luck with your project!
    http://www.sanderson-uk.com/DesignDetails.aspx
  • clyon
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Gabberts Design Studio: thank you for the Sanderson suggestion - the link didn't go to the floral you mentioned but I did quickly browse the site and they do have beautiful fabrics! I'll certainly take a closer look and see what I can find. Thank you!
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Thank you clyon. Let us know if we can help in any way!
  • PRO
    Mod Restoration
    11 years ago
    Here is a great resource to check out various designer textiles at discounted prices-- you can search by geometric prints, even, if you wish!

www.modtextiles.com
  • clyon
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    MOD Restoration - thanks so much for the info - I will certainly check out the site as this project is still going on...
  • clyon
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It's been a few months, but I've finally reupholstered the chair and I love it! The pop of color is just what the room needed. Here are the before and after pics. Now for the rest of the room. The furniture is solid cherry Shaker style (bed, dresser, 2 nightstands). I have a white duvet on the bed, which I like for its crispness and simplicity, but am open to other bedding ideas. I'd also like to change the bedside lamps and I'm thinking a contemporary green glass or something like that. I'd love to add some orange since I think the room needs a little more color and I like the orange and blue combo, with the green in the chair. Not sure how to put it all together. Any ideas?
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would not add amy more colors at this point. You have brown carpet, blue/white chair, and gray-green walls, white duvet and trim. I'd buy 2 large ceramic blue lamps for night tables (color tone of chair), and a blue throw pillow in center of bed.
    Anita Table Lamp · More Info
  • dsma
    11 years ago
    You did great ! Enjoy your new chair.....
  • clyon
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much, j222b! You are right, no more color for now - will stick with the blue. Love the lamp - that is exactly the kind of lamp I was going for.