Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisab403

Urgent help Needed for Rustic Cabin

lisab403
9 years ago
We have finished up our cabin and trying to do interior. My husband bought this bed (king-handmade cedar ) but when it goes in front of windows (only windows in room) it blocks it completely. We have it behind the door to one side of the room but I am not "feeling it". Where to put it and what color of furniture (dresser or chest) to go with it. I hate the bed but I am stuck with it!

Comments (11)

• abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Bless his heart for choosing this bed for you! I think this space will end up being awesome!

I truly believe the bed is right where it needs to be, but of course, I am not in the room to get a good feel for the space, either. I think right now it does not feel right because it is all alone and it is all you are focusing on. Get your dresser in there and a chair or two, a nightstand and then see how it feels. Art on the wall and a rug on each side of the bed. AND POST BACK so we can see some progress here. Have fun!
    lisab403 thanked abbyjean
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Seriously......bedding and pillows on that great bench and curtains.......what fun for sure!!!
    lisab403 thanked abbyjean
  • Grace Miller
    9 years ago
    I think the problem is not the bed, but too many types of wood and patterns going in different directions in one space. Consider getting some fabric and make a slipcover for the bed. To save money you could try burlap or linen. The eye needs to be drawn away from all the differences in the wood colors and grains. You might also try an area rug to cover the floor. You could also turn the bed around and make a canopy on the ceiling that would cover some of the wood on the ceiling.
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Piggybackin on what Grace Miller is saying, you can use painter's drop clothes. Be sure to wash them in the hottest water possible with lots of detergent to remove the any residue. Once that's done, you've got a great piece of linen at a great price. I've made 2 sets of curtains out of them, and they look great, especially if you want a more rustic look.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    I think the bed works fine there and the advantage is you may be able to see out the window. Once you add a large colorful carpet, accessorize your bed, add curtains, perhaps the decor will neutralize the woods a bit. Without bringing in more wood colors maybe consider a distressed grey like the walls and could also think about painted furniture.[houzz=
    Headwaters Camp Cabin, Big Sky Montana · More Info
    ];
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Awesome room, and I think the bed not fitting in front of the windows may be a lucky accident. Now you can wake up to a view ot the sky.

There are a lot of different woods going on in this room. I would stain the doors to match the ceiling or floor. That's one less wood tone in the space.
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    This is a room with a variety of woods.
    why not embrace wood completely and go all out rustic.
    It will be fab.
    Wild Turkey Lodge Bedrooms · More Info
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    This is a really unique and interesting bed. You're right that the placement should have been on the window wall. Plan B could have the bed stay where it is and put a pair of comfy chairs maybe sharing an ottoman under the windows with a reading light and small table in between. You could even put a sofa there.

The main thing now will be to find some lovely linens that will compliment the bed and start to warm up the room.

These come in several colors from RH in natural linen. Don't know what you've pictured but these have a rustic and casual quality.

PS don't let hubby pick the bedding ; )
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Some large art on the walls and a rug.
  • smileygreebins
    8 years ago

Haven't seen any after photos so hopefully you're now sorted. Otherwise, why not place the bedhead a little out from either of the side walls - that with the built in lounge/bed or that with what is presumably the cupboard/bathroom door? There are several instances on Houzz where people have placed their beds away from the wall, using the area behind the bedhead for storage/lounge seating/dressing areas and that might work well for you, depending of course on room dimensions....