Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opdos

Calling All Color Experts - or Anyone with Design Sense/Imagination

Opdos
9 years ago
Here are photos of the bathroom we just completed. All new shower, vanity, window seat etc. Problem is I have no vision as to what the finished bathroom should look like now that I have this great shower as a focal point. I have very little "art" sense and have tried so many paint colors and none work. I know it is hard to recommend a specific color, but can someone get me in the general vicinity please? What do you see working in this bathroom. WHAT COLOR FAMILY should I be in? And dark light or medium? Once there is a vision I think I can narrow down the exact hue.

I have tried beiges, browns, yellows, creams, golds, blues, pale grays and sage greens and I now think I am totally confused as to which way to go and am just grasping at straws. I own about a dozen BM sample sizes now!

My house is pretty traditional. There is a ton of light in there as we have added lots of cans and a sconce. The vanity and window seat and wooden medicine cabinets are in BM Dove White. New Venetian Gold Granite goes on the vanity (with white under mount sinks) and on top of the two wing walls. There will also be double closet door opposite the shower with White Dove Framed mirrored sliding doors. That's it. It is a blank slate basically except for the shower. I thought the beige/travertine looking porcelain (used in the shower and on the floor) would be easy to decorate with. But I am having a terrible time! By the way, the mosaic is crema marfil, and emperador light and dark with a honed travertine pencil tile around it.

Thank you thank you thank you to all of you who have some color sense or vision. I have a gorgeous shower and

Comments (15)

• asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Have to agree with handymam- the medium beige on the last photo looks good, but did you paint that sample over the darker tan color? Or is that a true indication of the color. I think that color looks good and lets the subtle patterning in the shower stand out.
    Have to agree that I'm not keen on the blues either.
    Opdos thanked asquithoatley
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Your shower is calling out for SW Nomadic Desert;)
    Maxey (192270) · More Info
    Opdos thanked User
  • PRO
    Debbie Rugen Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    As neutral as possible. Add your color in your towels if needed. It looks like a spa with that size shower. I am assuming you are installing frameless glass doors and walls? I would wrap the tile around the front of the half walls. That way you only see tile from these vantage points and not a competing paint color. The shower is just so large with lots of tile that it makes a statement on its own.
    Opdos thanked Debbie Rugen Designs
  • Opdos
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Margo---funny you say Nomadic Desert...I just redid our guest bath and entry hall and did Nomadic Desert in the hall and Latte (the next color down on the color card) in the bathroom. I happen to have the color wheel for BM not for SW. That bathroom is gorgeous!

Handymam and Asquithoatley - thanks for the advice. That has been my favorite so far too. Local friends who see it say it will be too blah...

Debbie Rugen....that would have been a great idea. Someone mentioned it to me on here the other day, but the shower valves are on the other side of each of those walls (we have two valves) and he wants to have easier access if he would ever have to get inside a wall. So that ship has sailed and I have to work with sheetrock on that side. Yes, I will have frameless glass doors and walls above the wing walls. As you said the shower does make a statement on its own, but I feel like I need to wrap it in something darker. Would the darker brown on the left side of the left wall be a bad choice? Again...need some vision as I have no ability to "picture" what things will look like! Thank you all!
  • juudean
    9 years ago
    Your tile is somewhat similar to my new guest bath. We originally painted the walls Yarmouth blue by Benjamin Moore, and I hated it. The painters came back in and repainted with London Fog by BM. Much better...this first pic is a bit blurry but you get the idea. The second was with the blue.
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    No real color...neutralize it and keep it neutral if you want color add it to accessories and art and such...the permanent fixtures and elements such as stone need to stay neutral as these items are too expensive to change later and you have done such a nice job so far..that if you decided to sell at a later date it would create a desire to buy the house!
    Opdos thanked Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
  • PRO
    Debbie Rugen Designs
    9 years ago
    I would still stay neutral...not darker. But what you could do is put your towel bars on the half walls and hang darker towels so that your eyes get their fix for something darker. You are just seeing a lot of beige porcelain right now. When you get everything else in there it will all settle down.
    Opdos thanked Debbie Rugen Designs
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Neutral - like the darker taupe in your travertine. It would look rich and warm and won't compete with anything. I like Debbie Rugen Designs suggestion to put the towel bars on the half walls. What a gorgeous and relaxing bathroom - love it.
    Opdos thanked Ward Designs
  • User
    9 years ago
    Hey Valarie, if you are really brave, you could do the dark chocolate brown in your accent tile squares;))
  • mcbriec
    9 years ago
    Gorgeous bathroom. I agree with Valerie that the walls should contrast (and not be blah). I like the darker taupe on far left of third pic. It would look very rich without being overpowering. (Dislike the blues!)
    Opdos thanked mcbriec
  • Lori Rea
    9 years ago
    Simple sage. I have it in 2 of my bathrooms that has similar tile. Love it!
    Opdos thanked Lori Rea
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I'd go with the pale beige in the third pic (to the right side of the shower opening) but I also love Margo's idea of dark brown, if you're brave enough.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Also, depending on how it looks with your countertop, I do rather like the dark taupe on the far left in the third pic.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    9 years ago
    I would go with the beige. Then add your colors in towels and bath accessories soap dishes etc
    Opdos thanked Darla Scheuerman