Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samohtep

Recommendations for Tree Removal - Buffalo, NY

samohtep
9 years ago
I have a big old silver maple in my backyard which need some work. I stood up on my roof and took a panorama of the tree to get the best possible view of it.

The most worrying leads are left most and right most in the photo. Most of the bulk of the left is hidden by the canopy, but it extends far out over the back of my neighbors garage (hiding behind the lilac in the bottom left corner) and above the garage and pool of the house behind them. In addition, the tree has a large crack/split/seam between the large rightmost lead and the rest of the tree.

My worst case scenario is the left lead lets go and hits both neighbor's garages and pool when it comes down and I have to deal with all of that. Second worst case is the right most cracking off and taking out my garage.

Anyway, I've called 10-12 places since mid July and in that time only one returned my call and came out to quote. He quoted around $2700 to trim out about 30% of the crown, all the deadwood, and to install 4 anchor cables, two in each of the troublesome leads anchored to the main trunk and also quoted around $4000 for complete removal. Since I've had some time, I know that they are one of the most expensive in the area, but they have a great record.

Is it just me or does it seem that even proper cabling is delaying the inevitable since Silver Maples have a tendency to crack and drop limbs? Especially with how rotten the main trunk looks.

I have a feeling that this is the sort of thing that comes down to it could fall today or in 40 years...

Comments (5)

• Kristy Haslund
    9 years ago
    We had silver maple taken down 3 weeks ago. As you can see ours is much older. We are renovating a 150 yr old victorian. We had high winds a week before we had it taken down. Trees around our town we knocked down, including one a few houses from ours. We were very fortunate. The house that had it fallen on was costly indeed. It's not worth it. We had 3 quotes and ended up paying $2200, including hawling and grinding the stump. I'm not sure why your price is so expensive. The 'cables' is simply a rope wrapped around two limbs and one is cut while the other supports it and it's guided down by a man holding other end of rope. Of course, I appreciated the skill in knowing where to land it. They landed it around fence posts and the septic and leach field. In my parents neighborhood where I grew up, silver maples are everywhere and everyone is taking them down because of what you described with your tree. I wish ours was as 'small' as your is. It was so big it dented our newer hot black topped street. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Kristy Haslund
    9 years ago
    One more thing, this went right over our house. Only 2 people to take it down.
  • Kristy Haslund
    9 years ago
    Ps I live in upstate NY too. Rochester area. Had family in Buffalo. Good memories of your part of our lovely state.
  • Kristy Haslund
    9 years ago
    I could tell you more scary stories of silver maples. I've seen them drop on cars and barely miss people as they walked under them. You just don't know when a limb will come down. Every expert that looked at it had the same reaction: I can't believe it didn't fall down on your house yet. Yours looks pretty good and could very likely remain standing for quite a while. But consider, it's only get even more immense and costly. Limbs will continue to drop. I even had trouble sleeping at night til we finally had it removed. ;) Good luck!
  • katinparadise
    9 years ago
    Hi Thom. I used to live just south of Buffalo and had to have 3 40 foot pine trees taken down and several other trees and shrubs trimmed. I used St. Matthews Tree Care in East Otto. Matt was so great to work with and always returned calls in a timely manner. You might give him a call. Good luck!