Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldpath

How to transform dirt and concrete into a real yard?

oldpath
9 years ago
I've reached out to at least six landscape contractors, and have yet to receive a single response, so I'm turning to the Houzz community for design help and a long-shot hope that maybe a contractor will see this. I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis, and my husband has burnt out on home improvement after building two fences and a foundation project, so we're really looking to create, with help, a low maintenance, drought-tolerant yard in our Oakland/Bay Area, California home. Any design ideas based on the pictures? It is always so incredibly sunny back there, that they're a bit hard to see.

We currently have an old tree, some trellised jasmine and bougainvillea, an improperly installed and crooked brick patio (lots of brick to re-use), two concrete patios, an awkward raised patch of asphalt that connects to our driveway, a deck that connects to our dining room, and an old concrete path that leads to nothing. It's all very-slightly down sloped and nothing really connects.

We would like to get rid of the weeds, have some areas with natural grass for our little dog, maybe a shed as we have no garage, but most importantly, would like a space that we feel like using and, I imagine, that involves re-thinking how the existing hardscaping connects. We've saved 20k for this project, but given that no one will even talk to us about it, we have no idea what that gets us in the Bay Area if anything. Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)

• bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    I find the lack of response odd. talk to a large, nice nursery in your area.
  • oldpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the detailed ideas studio10001! I think that you're completely right. I kept trying to imagine dividing the yard up into even more little zones, but hearing the suggestion of doing something a bit more traditional with the native grasses in the middle and edging with other plants, makes total sense and will really open up the space. The concrete path, unfortunately, kind of disappears into a mound of dirt, but after it ends is a logical place for the shed. Planting some evergreens would help with privacy too!
  • oldpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And, due to the severe drought, we won't be installing a traditional lawn, but were thinking of using native grasses, such as those used at Cavallo Point Lodge in Sausalito. Of course, I did notice that they were watering the grass when I was there this year, but I assume (?) that it is a lot more resilient and requires less water than a traditional lawn.
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The whole country watered what they could this last year - your little one will have great fun bounding in that - keep a camera handy for shots of happy tongue lolling!
  • jmfdesign2
    7 years ago

I had a similar backyard, two dogs and a cat and limited energy so I had the local brickyard recommend someone to build brick raised beds around the perimeter of my yard. I had them filled with dirt, by someone recommended by the local garden center, and then planted with trees, shrubs and flowers. We built a small deck along the back length of the house with a pergola that is now covered with vines and filled in what was left of the garden with pebbles. Our shed is tucked inconspicuously into a corner of the house at the end of the deck. The dogs and cat don't miss the grass and like to pee in the bushes. The raised beds make it easy to deadhead, the trees have grown to give us privacy and best of all, we have no grass to mow or water. Everything we planted is drought tolerant and feeds the birds, bees, and butterflies. We put a large hammock with a sculptural stand (the Roman arch) on the pebbles and large pots filled with lemon trees and flowers in the corners and now have lots of time to enjoy the wonderful scents and all the critters that come to feed.