Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klara_ash

How to jazz up this antique credenza?

Klara Ash
9 years ago
We received this hand made antique credenza which includes a working (!!) record player. I'd like to repurpose it as a sideboard/buffet for our dining room. You can see the flooring, wall paper and wainscoting of the dining room in the photo. Any suggestions on the best approach to refinishing/painting this piece most appreciated!

Comments (72)

• lori77h30
    9 years ago
    You know I think painted almost a lacquer white (or color of your choice) with the right legs(lucite or chrome) it could look very glam. Could be Hollywood regency style. I think it is cool piece regardless.
    Klara Ash thanked lori77h30
  • bygeorgi
    9 years ago
    I think it may look a bit strange when you attach legs because of the molding around the base. If you do , they need to be bulky enough to stand up to the scale and weight of the piece. Maybe it would be better served as bench seating with an upholstered cushion atop and painted a simple white gloss.
  • diydesigner8
    9 years ago
    We don't know what your table looks like or the style you have in the rest of your home, but I see from the photo that the finish on the top of the piece needs some refinishing help. Raising it up on legs will be tricky and unless you know someone who is good at this or you have a budget to cover the cost I would ditch that idea. If you love that retro look, or the piece holds sentimental value, then refinishing this piece would be worth your effort. I see the wallpaper, and finishes in the room and think I see a glimpse of a neutral upholstered chair, so I am guessing you love the elegant, traditional finishes with a touch of class. I go with several of the readers that suggest a one color lacquer finish in a glam pearl or pewter/taupe and a mirror top would be interesting, but with the lid lifting up for the phonograph it would need to be professionally glued and finished with beveled edges.
    Chalk paint looks great but feels chalky, if you like the antiqued look, try Milk paint, it has more depth and finishes with a smooth furniture finish.
  • dscibona
    9 years ago
    i love the look of it! it certainly deserves a great color to highlight the details of the front. i agree, maybe a putty color would be good. but it also depends what else is in the room,
  • gubs
    9 years ago
    looks so Asian inspired, if it were me, I'd just paint it my very favorite color and change other things to co-ordinate with it. Have fun. I love the piece.
  • Irene Morresey
    9 years ago
    This looks great
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I think it will make a great sideboard for a dining room. I love repurposed items. I can see it in an iridescent white with edgings of pale blue as in your wallpaper. I think adding crystal knobs of varying shapes and sizes would be fabulous even if you don't attach them where knobs are now. Add some bling. You could also put a plate of glass to cover the top after it's painted. Make it more practical and shiny finish too. This is a Candice Olsen special. Have fun.
  • The big house
    9 years ago
    Gotta tell you I love it. Perfect as a TV stand for new 70" TV.
    Wish I could find one for $40 I'd be buying it it a heartbeat.
    It's a piece way ahead of its time.
    It does fight with your formal lovely dining room moulding. Appears too low for a buffet. Repurpose it and get something with more classic lines for your dining room. Old mahogany is inexpensive right now. I'd go for that and move the current piece to the family room and get one of those new 4K TV's that have dropped in price the last week or two.
  • Francine
    9 years ago
    Annie Sloan Paris Grey (no distressing though) would be lovely, waxed to a slight sheen, definitely add legs and crystal knobs in the centre of each panel as mentioned earlier. It's a great piece!
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    If you are painting it you can go as wild as you like because you can always repaint
    Grandma's Buffet · More Info
  • Cori Niehoff
    9 years ago
    I love the pic that blenheimnewzealand put up! That color with the wood top is perfect. Also, note the chunky legs that it sits on. They would raise it up and they still look like they belong. My experience , if the record player still works, is that they sound amazing. I think it is a great piece!
  • hereis4jad
    9 years ago
    Wow, I remember these old consoles!!! What would I do with this? If you are not going to paint it, I would put a beautiful, colorful runner over the top and top it off with framed photos with a vase of flowers and a lamp. Put a couple of mirrors on the wall to back it up.
  • hamiltonliz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I love the idea of a rug under it. Also, if it is low enough, how about a long piped cushion. It would make a great shoe store elsewhere.
  • PRO
    Beach Transformations
    9 years ago
    Are you open to the idea of painting it? a lacquer would be my first choice. White perhaps, with two large lamps, two large ginger jars and a beautiful bowl right in the middle of it all!
  • nanadg
    9 years ago
    black
  • beauxpa
    9 years ago
    If that were mine (and I wish it were!) I'd look around for a sand blasting shop (usually in the industrial part of town). Most places have a process called soda blasting, much gentler than sand, that they use to remove paint and such from old doors etc. For around $150, this piece could look just like the bare/ bleached pieces that are so popular from 1st Dibs and Restoration Hardware. The more carving and relief in the piece, the better and more rustic it looks. Look up Soda blasting furniture and see what you think. Good luck!
  • OldGrayMare
    9 years ago
    Gosh...as much as I hate to say this, because I like this piece a lot on its own, it just doesn't contribute anything to your dining room...in fact, it drags your eyes downwards instead of upwards because it's shorter than your wall trim. And putting it on legs is not going to help. If you can move it to another room (that doesn't have wainscoting if that's what it's called...I always forget), then do it and use it as storage....paint or refinish as appropriate to the new space/room.....but it really doesn't look "right" where it is. Sorry, because it has potential....just not there.
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    9 years ago
    If it's truly an antique, painting or any change will only devalue it. Instead, have it cleaned professionally, and add a pair of buffet lamps and a decorative object between... a large ceramic or silver soup terrine, vase filled with flowers, or sculpture.
  • PRO
    Elm Ridge Lighting and Interiors Inc.
    9 years ago
    Being a Lighting Consultant, I would agree that putting buffet lamps or a nice Table Torchiere on top would finish off the look. My mother has furniture that she has taken from my Great Grandmother, and sanded it down to the bare wood then re-stained it with a clear, not opaque stain. Things looked like brand new but antique.
  • diyer59
    9 years ago
    Uh, that's not "antique" if it has a record player inside! It's retro.
  • Jacquie
    9 years ago
    If it were "Antique" in the true sense, I would not think of painting it, but since it's not, I'd probably go with Gubs on this and suggest a bold Chinese Red ... it already has a slightly oriental feel, and I'd use that to make it stand out in the room, rather than disappear into the wallpaper :-)
    Embellish with a bit of gold leaf, pop a ginger jar and an orchid on the top, and you'll have a stunning conversation piece. Have fun!
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Soft gold metallic would be awesome but agree with 2tilletts about it being too low with the wainscotting.
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    Would also look good as a sofa table behind your sofa.
  • Geri Swingler
    9 years ago
    I have a very similar record player cabinet with a non-working record player. The problem with these cabinets is the limited function as they only open from the top. Mine does anyway. I do hate seeing things just go to the landfill though. I pulled out all the insides from the cabinet. Speakers, wires, turntable, etc.... I painted mine a stone grey, lightly distressed it and recovered the speaker fabric with a black and white stripe. It makes a nice storage chest for blankets or winter gear, but not much else. Turning the front panels into doors would be way too much work and likely require a pro. I think if you want to refinish your piece, I would paint it a metallic gold and install some decorative hardware, some really pretty knobs or handles. Some feet would help raise the height and give it a bit more elegance. It is just a vintage piece, likely late 60's/early 70's. Not an antique. It's really cool though. I really like the woodwork on it.
  • Maria Smith
    9 years ago
    Klara hate to break it to you but I concur, not an antique. Probably late 60's early 70's. May not even be real wood.
  • suellenh
    9 years ago
    I don't see this as an exceptional piece but before painting it, try adding items around it. The photos should be replaced with either a collection of items that you love (besides people) ... Birds, botanicals, eclectic mix, etc., or one large piece. Then add a lamp and decorative items. Be sure there is a visual or physical connect between the wall art and the table top, and that the scale is right. You could mix new with thrift store finds but go through your house for items too. I move wall decor on a pretty regular basis, just to give my eye something fresh to look at.
  • mimimaloo
    9 years ago
    Hi,
    We had a similar stereo cabinet in our house... circa 1972. Ours was pretty snazzy... a slightly updated version with an 8-track player!! Went perfect with our white Naugahyde sectional. I shiver to recall my mother's gawdy taste!

You might discover that though the top and edges are indeed oak, that the trim and door details are not actually wood, but composite (saw dust/glue molded applied over cheap quality wood). You might also discover that if it actually is routed out wood, that it is low quality, painted over with an opaque stain and flecked to look like Oak or Pecan wood (like ours). If it were mine... I'd donate it to get the tax deduction and start over.

There are so many lovely solid wood pieces that don't need much more than a cleaning.
    Estate sales and thrift shops are abundant with them. I see them all the time on Craigslist free section.

If you are bound and determined... I'd ceruse it. Cerusing would look better with all the texture going on. Your walls are pale, you have wainscoting; you don't want a too matchy match feeling, do you? Painting it, especially with the suggestion pearl tones will make it look very very 90's and already out or style. It would actually fight the other pale elements in the room and would look like a piece you slapped with paint.

All you do is take a sander with 220 grit to remove the thin coat of varnish. You can strip it, too, but that's a bit messy. Then brush it all over with a brass brush to bring up/enhance the grain. Apply a pale toned paint (yes paint), rub it in... then remove it. The colour stays within the grain. Top coat it with clear (use a spray... very easy) or rub it with 4 coats at least of Waterlox to get a amazing, expensive French, hand rubbed, and waterproof finish.
    I'd also put legs under it to give it height (needed for a server).

For the time and financial investment. I'd put the 100 or so bucks minimally need to fix this puppy towards a solid wood thrift piece... and give that one to your local hipster.
  • Jacquie
    9 years ago
    Sorry, didn't have time to be very realistic, but you get the idea :-)
  • askar4
    9 years ago
    You could put it on legs and put a marble top on it.
  • cushopn
    9 years ago
    All great suggestions. people are very creative. here's my 2 cents. I agree with comments the piece is too short for the room and wainscoting and your eye is drawn down. Even the pic with pieces placed on top and the small pics on the wall make it look cluttered even with a bold color. Small, bulky feel could work and give it some height but piece is too bulky for the pointed 50's mid century legs so a chunkier style would be better. Crystal knobs for some bling would work great.

Interesting comments don't talk about how the door seems to open from the front (looks like keyholes in the pics) with the exception of the record player top. If you can keep working player and be able to clean out the rest of the piece for storage, it could be a great TV cabinet or a sofa table. the detail on the front is great. Dar Eckerts pic is a great example of how a busy front credenza can be painted to "blend in" with wainscoting. the busy front actually pops and makes the piece a focal point in the room rather than the elephant.

It seems from your family pics, wainscoting and the brief glimpse of your dining chair, you home is traditional. If you like 1950's, there are a lot of beautiful pieces out there thru garage sales, estate sales & stores where you could find a beautiful piece of the right height and dimensions without a lot of work. You seem to have a large space to accommodate a big piece. It just needs to be taller due to the height of the wainscoting and it cries out for a large piece of art that pops.

I say keep the piece. Find new place for it as a TV credenza or sofa table. Keep the record player. Use the rest of the space for storage. paint it in a high gloss and add some blingy knobs. Go shopping for a cool 50's piece for the DR and some great art. throw a fun party to show off your new pieces. Have fun!
  • kathysadkin
    9 years ago
    I've seen a few of these used as dining room buffets. The ones I've seen aren't even wood, but some kind of pressed board with resin-type designswork. If this is the case with your piece, you couldn't even refinish it. I think paint in a taupe-colored hue would look great!
  • cybelle2014
    9 years ago
    I like peoples suggestion of raising the height of your credenza. If you like vinyl records, keep the player, records are coming back in popularity. If you raise the piece, make sure you raise it enough to be able to get under it comfortably to vacuum under it, otherwise it is a p-p-pain in the b-b-butt !!

Because I had to downsize to a condo, I bought a cute small table & 6 chairs at a thrift store for $75. It is a Drevonian manufacture from Czechoslovakia. Trouble was, it desperately needed refurbishing. And it was orange. I tried everything to get it to stay at the pale colour when it was sanded. But ANYTHING that touched it, turned it ORANGE, like oak orange. I found out a bit later that the orange colour is the natural colour of beechwood. Oh my good heavens, the work I put into this dining room table set, I was about to send it out the window and wish it luck!! Well, live and learn, eh?

I knew about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, (ASCP) because I had painted a small three shelf bookcase (my first attempt), and decided to go that route. But the shop that is selling it is so far away and the lady who was going to help me with the colour blending was not available on my schedule.

I had read somewhere on the internet at someone's forum that you could get the chalk paint tinted (unlimited colour choices) at your local paint store of choice. And you don't have to buy another paint for blending. And ASCP is limited in colour choices. So I went to Benjamin Moore, which is very close to me, and asked them if they could colour some chalk paint for me. Well, lo and behold, they were selling their brand of chalk paint ! ! So I bought theirs had it tinted to "Antique Lace" and painted the table (so far).

First I painted it with water-based Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer because I did not want any chance of bleed through of that darn orange. Then I put on 2 coats of the B.M. chalk paint with a foam roller (only because I didn't want to take any chances with wear and tear as it is a table). I lightly sanded it (between coats and a final sanding) for smoothness, and I am in the process of waxing it now, and will put two coats on for durability.

I really like the spreadability of B.M.'s chalk paint. And I found out NOT to dilute it as it gives a much better coverage and just right without dilution. Note: You will never get a glass-like smooth finish with chalk paint.

You do not need to sand the furniture. A small amount of sanding with a fine grit just to give it a bit of tooth is always the safest. If you are going to paint it a light colour, it's best to give it an undercoat of white primer (Bulls Eye 123) so you don't need to waste your chalk paint with 2 coats.

I do not like the distressed look. After all that work I did to get it to this stage, I was not going to make it look beat up. That would have to happen naturally in my opinion.

I am totally in love with this little table now. Every time I look at it I am amazed at how good it looks. I can't wait to get the six little chairs done.

I will try to give you a before picture I took at the storage unit. When all is finished, I will try to give an after picture too.

There is tons of info and help on chalk paint out there on the internet (where I got mine), and on YouTube. I did hours of research to choose just the right method for me.

Good luck on your project Klara. I hope I have helped you with my info in deciding what to do.

Best Regards, Cybelle
  • robbins9595
    9 years ago
    Yes I would suggest Anne paints in a soft greyed blue green. It is hard to tell as I don't know what the table looks like. Also you might add short legs to it to make it a bit taller and Use a large verticle mirror over it.
  • jmarcheschi1
    9 years ago
    i might play up the geometrics and paint the different sections different colors or different shades/tints of the same color. make it fun!
  • cacassidy1
    9 years ago
    this looks so much like my mom's Capehart stereo from the 1970's and is NOT an antique of value. But if it does have a record player? Wow, some of us till love the sound of records instead of the 'new technology' recordings. My suggestion is use it in a room where it's true purpose can be appreciated. Both inside and out can be revamped, but keep it's record playing function!
  • PRO
    Flaxley Group P/L
    9 years ago
    Noting Cybelle's comment: I really love the waxed finish on furniture - however I finished off shelves in this way and would probably use a lacquer on the top surface - it marks with rings.
  • User
    9 years ago
    a few people already alluded to the asian lines on the piece, which is my first take on it. it would look amazing in black lacquer with red piping around the details. you can also sand back some of the lacquer to give it an aged look. good luck!
  • bkpetray
    9 years ago
    If you plan to use it for storage, Craigslist the old turntable components. If the pieces are there, they may be worth more than the cabinet....and would finance the refinish/repurpose.
  • cghead
    9 years ago
    My two cents: I think there are two ways to help this 50's-ish piece work in a traditional home. If you want a soft look, I would paint it with Annie Sloan Chalk paint, which allows for a lot a variation. You can lighten or darken colors of hers with white or graphite, and the light and dark waxes let you really play with the piece. I have done a graphite piece that I put many coats of wax on, and burnished with a sheepskin mitt.

If you want to dazzle with high gloss, try a Rustoleum enamel. I used red high gloss on a small mid century dresser - painted just the drawer fronts and added glass knobs. My house has very traditional pieces, but now that the dresser is painted, it fits right in. Love it every day. Again, many coats and you will get a beautiful finish! The colors are limited, but I imagine you can have their white tinted if you don't find one that suits.

I also agree the piece is too low, but instead of adding legs, which might look odd, you can build a sturdy rectangular frame to place it on, like you would a kitchen cabinet. Paint that the same color as the piece, and it will raise the piece but keep its chunky look.
  • Kyle Duffy
    9 years ago
    Ever consider automotive paint. Here's an example I've seen. Adds a whole new look to furniture.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Boy, have you ever had a zillion ideas on this fab piece. Have you decided?
  • Theresa Holt
    9 years ago
    do yourself a favor and have a piece of tempered glass cut for the top after you paint it. just remember to tell fabricator no logo or there will be a small marking that will drive you nuts, that way anything you place on it won't mar your finish.
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    What a fun project! How about two-tone with a soft gray like you have on the wall paper, and a soft gold like on the picture frame right above it.

- Janis, GKB
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Hi, Klara Ash! The idea of putting it up on feet is a good one but I wonder if it will look a bit awkward because the base is so defined, I am concerned it will look like you stuck on legs to a piece that is supposed to sit on the floor. I bet this thing weighs a ton too! The more carving and relief in the piece, the better and more rustic it looks. Look up Soda blasting furniture and see what you think. Good luck!

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I remember when this sort of credenza/record player was in style in the 1960s. As I recall, such pieces of furniture had a very heavy base, so I would recommend keeping the base as it is and NOT adding any legs. Someone might have a two-tone stained effect on the front where the design is sort of a maze or grid, with the darker tone being in the recessed places. If the top is in good shape, I would recommend keeping it as it is. A person might make a covering of double-quilted material to put across the top for protection and then add a scarf or cloth that would cover the quilted piece. If the record player unit still works, this piece may be valuable as an antique, and who knows when someone might have vintage records to play on it?

• Dee Smith
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would select a milk paint in pale gray or similar to your wallpaper OR a deep red since it will be a dining room piece and that will provide some color to the room as well... BUT I would leave the top as stained wood and I would also leave the recesses areas on the door in stained wood as well, for added interest. The stain color it is currently a perfect shade (or at least it looks nice in the picture.)... Nice piece! Funny, I didn't read any remarks prior to suggestion, and it looks like sheilaskb had the same idea... I would also second the idea about having tempered glass cut to fit the top to avoid water marks, but I would definitely NOT paint the top, and keep it stained. It will look much more classy that way. Too many people paint the entire piece of furniture the same color and loose a lot of pizzazz when they don't keep the stained wood grain for the top.

• Pansy Cra
    8 years ago
    Try painting a metallic gold or even a ROSE gold color... I'm in favor of keeping it. antique, vintage, handmade, machine made - etc-- really?? ... It's yours and it's a good looking piece ... If you don't want it from the opinions I'll take it and post the same question for my dining room that I'm converting to a wine lounge ;)). So keep me posted b/c I can't find something like this anywhere & im really looking.
  • Boomers775
    8 years ago
    Wow. This post had me going for awhile too! Keep forgetting to check the dates. Original post is nearly a year old. Why doesn't the OP or Houzz take them down after 6 months or so without any new posts? Just wasted another 15 minutes of my life. Lol
  • Pansy Cra
    8 years ago
    Dang it is a yr old and I didn't even realize it... I hate when I do that uuuuggghh
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

To G. Swingler: My parents had the very same record player cabinet, and I know they bought it between the late 1950s to mid-1960s. Thank you so much for posting your photos as they brought back a lot of memories of my parents' home.