Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_3810425

Gutted the kitchen and rebuilding

Mike JB
9 years ago
We started our kitchen remodel 10/9/14. We are in our 5th week. We live in an old military community from the 1940's. The kitchen is 11' x 11' 6". There are three doors from the kitchen. It's a house for two, so we are making it a kitchen for two. We want a little 1940's Art Deco glamour to go with the house. We needed a galley cook area and a separate eating area. I was always under foot in the old 1940's Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners kitchen. We have smokey gray glass subway tile for the backsplash behind the gas range and range hood. There are drawer pulls and cabinet knobs coming. The dishwasher will be hooked up this weekend. The range hood will go up after the back splash tile. There will be two black drum shade with gold painted interior pendant lights over the breakfast bar, Puck lights in the glass front cabinet above the fridge, crown molding, and low voltage accent lighting.

Comments (77)

• PRO
    Crown Construction Contracting
    9 years ago
    Hi Mike,

I think it looks great. The only thing I would question is the difference in knobs and handles. The area near the microwave doesn't seem right when you've mixed the 2 and the location of the handles appear strange on the cabinets, but great on the drawers. Overall, nice work though!
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Bobbie P:
    I'm talking with the contractor to do that on the hall side of the fridge, to hide the water line and back of the fridge. Oddly enough, the display cabinet above the fridge is fully visible while standing or sitting on bar stools anywhere in the kitchen.
    tapcag1:
    I'm leaving the protective cover on the pendants till the workers are through man handling them. One worker started to unwrap a pendant and got a white sheet rock smudge on the black linen shade. I had to take a toothbrush and gently brush till the white smudge diminished. So, the plastic that remains will stay there until the work is complete.
    lawhorse:
    The louvered doors are pocket doors. There's not enough room in this small house for 36" doors to swing into a room. The backsplash is a Gray glass subway tile, the glass portion is a "coke bottle green" glass. I wanted to use updated versions of all the different elements that would hearken back to the houses 1946 roots. Yes, the silver pipe is the inner workings for the soon-to-be wall mount range hood.
    uberv:
    I have this perfectly good almost new microwave. I'm a spend thrift and can't see spending money on another one till this one dies.
    Julia Hale:
    Yes the laundry was moved out of the kitchen about ten years ago in preparation for this kitchen remodel. We also had the sloping kitchen floors leveled about five years ago also in preparation.
    Crown Construction Contracting:
    I'm starting a new trend. The cup pulls feel ergonomically correct on the lower cabinet doors. They also prevent having to smudge the doors clawing at the handle. Some pretty clumsy people come through here. But, first and foremost, I like the look and wanted to have it. I feel like the upper cabinets being uniform, and the lower cabinets being uniform has a symmetry to it that pleases me. So far everyone seeing it in person, thinks it's great.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm having so much fun with this remodel.
  • mamabear2014
    9 years ago
    Nice job! I have refrigerator envy!! Wish I could fit one like it in my kitchen. I cook alot and need more fridge space, especially around the holidays. If the size works for you, that is all that matters.
    Mike JB thanked mamabear2014
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The electrician was here this evening and hooked up all our accent lighting. The range hood was wired and is working. The gas range is working. The crown molding is up. My head is swimming with all the changes. This is my dream kitchen and I had to wait 60 years to get it. The wait was worth it. I just took a lot of pic's, so here goes...
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I love my microwave station I designed into my kitchen plan. My husband cook's and I microwave leftovers. I feel like I have a section of kitchen, too. He has the cooking galley and I have my microwave station.
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like my coffee station at the window. I can look out and see the back yard while making coffee in the morning. We didn't have a window previously. I have to start excavating the piles of furniture and find my bar stools.
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I needed to protect the floor in the breakfast area from the bar stools being drug around, and keep my feet cozy when I'm barefoot. So I got a mat from a company that makes door mats for stores, restaurants, and hotels. These mats were made for executive suite hotels. The mat is rubber backed for water proofing and non-skid, It is stain resistant, and if there is a spill I can take it out to the driveway and hose it off. I ordered one and loved it so much I ordered a second for the galley area. I had an ac vent in the middle of the bar area, so I cut the hole for the vent and now we have to go find a decorative vent cover.
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's a good pic of the cook area. Also these are the outlets for the food prep area next to the dishwasher. We couldn't install outlets where the pocket doors rest, so we had them added to the front of the work area.
  • stevievans
    9 years ago
    In response to MJC Design comment, I have added a photo of my kitchen as an example showing where I have pushed the upper cabinet forward as described. I have a veteran home with a footprint of 25' X 24'.
    Mike JB thanked stevievans
  • lawhorse
    9 years ago
    Congratulations Mike JB! It's a fantastic kitchen. I love that you have at least four separate really nice counter work areas.
    Mike JB thanked lawhorse
  • Elizabeth Olin
    9 years ago
    This kitchen has it all! Counter space, beautiful backsplash, efficiency, gorgeous floor, lovely countertops, wonderful stove...I love it! I appreciate all the pictures and commentary, too. May you have many, many years of enjoyment using this awesome space. :)
    Mike JB thanked Elizabeth Olin
  • emjfla
    9 years ago
    Great design and looks great too! I love the hardware you chose for the cabinet doors. I'm guessing there will be a feast created in this kitchen next week!
    Mike JB thanked emjfla
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My family is asking about Thanksgiving. I told them if I can get this construction and sheet rock dust cleaned off everything in this small house, there'll be dinner. There's dust on the ceiling, walls, floors and all the furniture (even though I draped everything). My entry and dinning room were used as a construction work area. I'm going to have to scrub the grout in that tiled area. I started out trying to clean up after the workers each day. But I realized it was hopeless. I love these construction guys because they were able to bring my dream to life, but they are grimy little guys. I'm going to post the final pics with the bar stools and the oil painting in place. I most likely will have Christmas decorations out as well since I always have them out by Thanksgiving, just 6 days away. I love to look at Christmas from Thanksgiving till New Years. My mother told me it was bad luck to leave Christmas up past New Years Day.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    Looks great! I really like the stove area and backsplash.
    Mike JB thanked 123 Remodeling Inc.
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    For the knobs and handles I used black porcelain knobs with polished nickle base on the upper cabinets. I used brushed nickle cup pulls on the base cabinets. The name of the cup pull style is "Art Deco".
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's a detailed close-up of the cabinet hardware.
  • lawhorse
    9 years ago
    I like those knobs too!
    Mike JB thanked lawhorse
  • Bobbie P
    9 years ago
    I love the look of cup pulls. I recently purchased some for a bathroom vanity that I am refinishing. Hint to the wise, shop around. I needed the cup pulls with 3 1/4 inch center to center. I would have had to special order them at the big box home improvement stores. I had a moment of sanity ( or cheapness), and searched Amazon. I found them for $2.75 each. A steal from $15-$16. You made a great choice in hardware!
    Mike JB thanked Bobbie P
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I did the same, finding a bargain on line.
  • PRO
    Urbanata/Steve
    9 years ago
    The refrigerator over powers the kitchen. Two people do not need that big a refrigerator.
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I dug my bar stools out from under the tarp in the living room. Also the TV was mounted. They're working on the cove lighting.
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Still waiting on the oil painting for next to the window.
  • mamabear2014
    9 years ago
    Love the bar stools! I like all the little details that make it look like home. Can't wait to see the artwork!
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The oil painting arrived today. It was shipped rolled up to protect it from damage. I have to get it stretched and framed, then It will hang in the kitchen. The painting was held up in customs in New York for 15 days. I'm not showing anyone the painting. I want it to be a surprise. The display cabinet is wired up and has our family things displayed and they look great. Photos of the mini-makeover the dinning room got, will be posted when I figure out how to balance the light.
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I need to figure how to balance the light in the kitchen, too.
  • The big house
    9 years ago
    Love the location of the microwave to allow 2 people to work at once, one at stove and one at microwave. Big mistake I regret was putting the microwave over the stove! Too late now.
    The fridge is too big only if you never have guests....love the fridge. I have the same one in both houses. There are only two of us but we have tons of company!
    You'll love that space with everything at your fingertips!
    Great job.
    Mike JB thanked The big house
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    Love all the updated images. Looks great!
    -Angeline, GKB
    Mike JB thanked Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Still working on the camera and lighting. Lamps are washing out the pic's. Preview of the mini-makeover in the dinning room, outside the kitchen. The painting will be ready for pick-up mid December.
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The dinning room is 8' wide and 11' deep. So I made a comfortable dinning room for two. We've had dinner in there every night since we finished the mini-makeover. The house is still swarming with friends and family. People come by here like we're their grandparents. We're always baking chocolate chip cookies, Chocolate Peanut Butter drop cookies, and Dark Chocolate Brownies. This is the best Christmas!
  • lawhorse
    9 years ago
    Lovely!
    Mike JB thanked lawhorse
  • PRO
    Arley Wholesale, Inc.
    9 years ago
    This looks awesome! Especially the smokey gray subway tile!
    Mike JB thanked Arley Wholesale, Inc.
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The kitchen was complete today. I've posted pic's on my "Your Houzz" page. You'll find it under "Completed Kitchen Project". Just click on my avatar. My dinning room also got a mini-makeover to go with the kitchen.
  • lawhorse
    9 years ago
    Love looking at your projects. Thanks for sharing!
    Mike JB thanked lawhorse
  • Julia Hale
    9 years ago
    WOW! is the only word that comes to mind. Great job designing for small area!
    Mike JB thanked Julia Hale
  • juliab51
    9 years ago
    Very nice job. I love that you let all the details percolate over time in order to get it right. Enjoy your beautiful new spaces!
    Mike JB thanked juliab51
  • emjfla
    9 years ago
    Can't wait to see the art work!
    Mike JB thanked emjfla
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The framer just called. The painting is framed and ready for pick-up. We're going to get it now. I'm anxious to see, because we told them we wanted the frame to make the painting look very important. I'll post pic's when we get back and get it hung.
  • mamabear2014
    9 years ago
    Anxiously waiting to see!! Lol
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Better than I expected. I love it! I wanted something that appeared old and had food in it, but be totally off the wall. My family and friends have a warped since of humor. We are already having fun with "Louise" (sister-in-law) looking over us. We discovered, when you walk around her eyes follow you.
  • mamabear2014
    9 years ago
    Awe..she is adorable!!! And beautiful frame! And whoever thought about using asparagus as hair decoration? LOL!
  • emjfla
    9 years ago
    Oh how fun is this?! I can just imagine all the conversations you and your partner can have with "Louise" OR you can blame things on her... "Louise ate the last cookie", "Louise forgot to wash her dishes"! You get the idea! I love the frame too!
    Mike JB thanked emjfla
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We're getting ready for the neighbors from around us. We're having an open house Saturday from 3 pm till 6 pm to show them what we've been up to. They all wanted to know what we were doing, with the construction dumpster in the driveway for 6 weeks. My husband made the dough in advance for Brazilian Cheesy Puffs, Sour Cream and Dill Muffins, and Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies. While we're baking these everyone can have Garlic and Black Pepper Hummus (my husband made from scratch earlier this evening) with Italian Garlic Hummus Chips, or Turkey and Avocado Pinwheel sandwiches, and of course a festive beverage. There'll be about 16 adults and 4 children. Then we're having friends and family for a Christmas Party from 7:30 pm till we can get them to leave. Friends and family get the neighbors leftovers.
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We're also having Almond and Plain Christmas Colored M&M's, Mixed Nuts, Cheese Cake, Shrimp Cocktails, Russian Vodka in the freezer, Frangellico, Frozen Peach Schnapps, Beer and Chardonnay. One neighbor stopped me when I went to get the mail. She was excited to come over and hang out and "Help eat all that food". All it takes to get neighbors over is alcohol and good food. Suits me. I like it, too.
  • mamabear2014
    9 years ago
    Sounds like a blast!! I'll have a frozen peach schnapps, please!
  • Mike JB
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Last night was a success! We had open house from 3 pm till 6 pm. We got the last neighbors out at 3 am. Everyone had a blast. The children played with my Christmas display in the living room, which kept them entertained, while the parents had drinks and hors d'oeuvres in the kitchen and dinning room. We had 23 neighbors attend. Other neighbors wanted to attend, but I was not aware our remodel was that known up and down the street. Today I got an invitation in the mailbox, from a neighbor down the street we haven't met yet, to their post holiday cocktail party. A neighbor from the party last night told us the other neighbor, who dropped off the invitation, wanted to see the new kitchen as well. We really have a great street of neighbors.
  • PRO
    ProHoods
    8 years ago

@Mike JB Thank you for sharing all of the beautiful pictures of the design process. We love all of the details such as the blue tile backsplash, the beautiful pendant lighting, the stainless steel appliances and the under cabinet lighting really creates a good mood for your kitchen space. CONGRATS!

Mike JB thanked ProHoods
  • PRO
    Randy Trainor
    8 years ago

What a change!

Mike JB thanked Randy Trainor
  • PRO
    Hamilton Klow Architects
    8 years ago

Excellent. Way to go.

Mike JB thanked Hamilton Klow Architects
  • PRO
    Vibrant Vision
    8 years ago

A lot of great things to look at in your pictures. Great work.

Mike JB thanked Vibrant Vision
  • PRO
    Addition Building & Design, Inc.
    8 years ago

Well done.

Mike JB thanked Addition Building & Design, Inc.