Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabear03

Do I need to move this outlet or how can I make it work best?

mamabear03
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
The first picture is our Master Bath where the vanity will be next to the tub. The vanity top will extend a few inches left of the outlet. There will be about 6-8 inches of open space between the tub and vanity. We currently plan to have granite vanity tops with matching granite backsplash.

I'd like the end result to look similar to the second picture, with a large framed mirror. Our vanity is going to have double sinks with cabinet doors under each and a column of drawers going down the middle.

I'm worried the outlet up on the left is going to be too close to the left sink and needs to be moved out of the framed mirror area. Where should it go? Further left towards the tub or somewhere else? I don't want to put a lot of money into moving an outlet but right now it feels like the mirror won't go far enough to the left/towards the tub for the person using the left sink.

What can I do?

Comments (14)

• Happy Valley
    9 years ago
    Bring the outlet out so that it is on the side of the vanity cabinet. This way it will not interfere with the look of the mirror. Make sure it is gfci since it is by water.
    mamabear03 thanked Happy Valley
  • mamabear03
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay, my builder is really BAD about communication and always doing things on his own!

I emailed him the suggestion to fix the issue by moving outlet to vanity side and he replied that he already had the outlet moved farther over on the wall towards the tub.

We live in a small town and im trying real hard not to let this be the last straw or be a difficult person to please.

Do I leave it or make a stink? I can NOT wait for this process to be behind me!
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Check with the electrical codes or an electrician because I think you are not allowed to have an outlet less than 6 feet from the sink /water source . So it will have to be moved regardless .
    mamabear03 thanked lefty47
  • mamabear03
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hmmm. Maybe I should repost this asking specifically for expert electrical advice?!?
  • lucidos
    9 years ago
    This Is Code:

There must be an outlet placed within 36 inches of the edge of the sink.
    Outlets cannot be located above or closer than 36 inches to the bathtub.
    No installation of outlets in a face-up position on the countertop.
    Outlets must be on at least one dedicated circuit that doesn't include the lights.

The outlet should be easy to reach. There are options not to interfere with your design concept.
    mamabear03 thanked lucidos
  • mamabear03
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay, thanks for the info. ...so apparently this outlet is not in code since it is within 36" to the tub? Uh oh.
  • mamabear03
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh wait... it's HIGHER and therefore beyond 36". I was wondering why it was up so high. :(
  • mamabear03
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I know I really should just "let it go" though. Hubs is telling me to forget about it. :/
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    The outlet is to close to tub. I would move it rightward onto the other "L" wall...that way it will be completely out of the way so you can do your inspirational picture with no problems
  • User
    9 years ago
    So far, you have a lot of wrong code advice for the United States. A receptacle can go as close to the tub as you want as long as it is not over the tub. The receptacle can have lights on the same circuit in a specific manner. The required receptacle can not be located inside the cabinet.

National Electrical Code

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel .8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
    (A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
    (1) Bathrooms

210.11 Branch Circuits Required.
    (C) Dwelling Units Dwelling Units.
    (3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
    Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
    (1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
    (2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
    (3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
    (4) Located more than 1.7 m (51⁄2 ft) above the floor
    (D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop, or installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop.

406.8 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations
    (C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.
    mamabear03 thanked User
  • User
    9 years ago
    I may have installed the receptacle sideways in one of these two locations if I knew the exact height of the counter and any integral backsplash that was involved.
    Or just past the edge of the counter and lower, just above the counter top.
    mamabear03 thanked User
  • mamabear03
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow, okay. Our vanity top will be granite with the standard 4"matching backsplash. There is already a second receptacle on the right side on the adjoining wall.

Counters are "counter height" which I think is standard kitchen counter height. I forget the exact measurement. He said its higher than bathroom counters are usually since this is the master bath he raised it.

Sounds like the new placement of the left receptacle is within code, so in that case I will need to let it go.

Thanks for the help.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    I would move it just past where the mirror will go since you have the room.

This is something that would bother me every time I was in the bathroom.

This should have been noted on the electrical plan.
    mamabear03 thanked PPF.