Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moiclaire

To paint or not to paint our kitchen cabinets?

Claire Cellier
9 years ago
I like contemporary style kitchen. This is our kitchen in the house we just bought, it is kind of dark for my taste, so I am debating having the cabinets painted in white, but I am scared it will have somewhat of a country look, which is definitely not what I like! Any advice would be welcome.
Thank you

Comments (89)

• ckzehnder
    9 years ago
    Paint is all a very light gray.
  • Erin Downey
    9 years ago
    I think the dark surface of the island counter top is a problem in this kitchen. If possible change it out for a littler surface to coordinate with whatever you do with the cabinets. All the above suggestions are great. Lighter color for upper cabinets, island, and additional lighting. Enjoy.
  • carterlakemom
    9 years ago
    I would focus on the countertops and backsplash. Lightening that up and getting away from the tan/beige . . . think carrera marble or white tone recycled glass. This will update your look. The cabinets are nice.
  • Steve Riggs
    9 years ago
    Try black, goes with everything,.... even beige...for now... is classic sophisticated, and modern, not a bit country... just as a different thought
  • Laurel Ennis
    9 years ago
    It's too dark now. Go for grey, it's modern, neutral and lighter.
  • helenhughes49
    9 years ago
    I agree with Allison Smith. Her ideas and her photo are exactly what I thought you might need when I saw your photo. Your ktchen appears large and the cabentry looks like it's in great condition, lucky you! I also agree with flopsycat1 about the swtchplate/outlet covers.
  • Cheryl Fadden
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't paint those beautiful cabinets!! Here's another contemporary styled dark cabinet kitchen with lighter counter tops. You could add the opaque glass if you're worried about having enough storage without keeping a perfectly organized cabinet next to your stove.
  • sluggodog
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would not paint.. you will hate the chipping and upkeep more then the current colour. I agree with new lighter countertops, but realize that is pricey..(could just change the centre island top) but changing the backsplash for sure will help mondernize it and not hurt the budget. Even a new modern faucet will help.
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    I would paint the top cabinets white and add recessed lighting under them. Add a hanging light over your island also. Your kitchen will brighten up instantly!
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    what color is your viking stove? it looks like it is the same color as the cabinets, but it could just be that it is reflecting that color. if it is a painted a similar color to the cabinets, then I'd paint it to match the new cabinet color.
  • pipeman1
    9 years ago
    I think I would invest my money instead on white marble look countertops, brighten the back splash and carry on a brighter sunnier color paint in the other room. Throw down some beautiful woven rugs and a great centerpiece for the island and I bet you would fall in love!
  • cyberdeedle
    9 years ago
    Don't paint them! Think of another way to lighten up the room to change the look. I've been keeping house for nearly 50 years and I've seen styles come and go, but pretty wood cupboards never will go out of style. The only time I have ever been tempted to paint kitchen cabinets is when they were poor quality or scratched and battered looking. Invariably eventually painted cabinet will get chipped and peel. They will need touching up or repainted within 10 years. Perhaps some lighter countertop on the island or some undercounter lights.
  • nodeerhere
    9 years ago
    I have this color in my kitchen and I really like it. My walls are cream. I don't like the idea of painting such nice cabinets.
  • Jean Benelli
    9 years ago
    Cyberspace, cabinets can be painted to last with proper preparation. Primer, paint then finish with a clear coat. The cabinets will be washable and last. Grey will not look good in this kitchen. Just because it's the in color does not mean it will look good everywhere.
  • Denise Jones
    9 years ago
    Paint.
  • Sharyn
    9 years ago
    NOOOOOO! Don't paint. I'd suggest adding some glass panel doors to brighten it up as well as some under cabinet lighting. These are beautiful classic cabinets that withstand time - don't go trendy - you'll regret it.
  • Mireya Nelson
    9 years ago
    Don't paint it. Cabinets look beautiful! I would just update the backsplash.
  • Bonnie Chappell
    9 years ago
    I love the dark cabinets. Call in a lighting designer. I think that is the issue. And you can make the island different to get away from the matchy-matchy.
  • therealnettsy
    9 years ago
    Everyone has an opinion. I will just say that you cabinets are good quality and you should lighten them to a jersey cream.
  • Jean Cravens
    9 years ago
    We painted our's white and the walls an antique gold..I like mine.
  • kat28
    9 years ago
    My off white cabs do better with finger prints and smudges than my all whites I have in another room. I won't do white again, my (creamy) off white are great and we even distressed them a little and stained our island.
  • deeniekov
    9 years ago
    Has anyone ever addressed the topic of chipping paint of repainted cabinets. Don't consider "trendy". You'll regret it. Time changes and the next thing you know, you be repainting them dark. Original stain/finish is the best (unless it is in poor shape). Spoken from a 60something. I totally disregard trends. I look for practical and functional.
  • daisyjc2000
    9 years ago
    White would look wonderful with your current backsplash and appliances! We painted ours 4 years ago and they still look just as good as the day they were new :)
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    We do cabinets all the time. We don't use paint. We use a two part catylized lacquer like the cabinet companies use. No matter what you prime with or how you prep it, paint will fail. It is to soft for the everyday wear and tear cabinets take. If you're set on coating them I suggest calling a couple cabinet shops and see if they have some second's doors around, or go to your local big box store and buy a couple doors and paint them and put them in place of a couple of your doors and look at them for a few day's. This way if you decide it's not what you want, take em down and put your originals back up. We do it for customers all the time before they commit. What we use there is no going back without a complete strip and start over. Yes the doors cost money, but a whole lot cheaper than starting to paint your current ones and realize it's not what you want!
  • dalymal
    9 years ago
    do not paint white....put in better lighting....
  • Tara Brant
    9 years ago
    Painted cabinets chip. Be ready strip and repaint if your kitchen gets much wear. If you have just moved in, I would give it some time. It may grow on you. I agree with some of the other suggestions for better lighting, and other ways to make your mark and brighten things up.
  • Claire Cellier
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    THANK YOU so very much for all of your suggestions, you guys really help!
    I am changing the island countertop first. Then will probably look at changing the backslash, and finally the hardware.
    I will post pictures soon.
  • harrycage
    9 years ago
    IMO, they look fine. You can add & install some good lights to make it look brighter. We had the same problem with our foyer & stairs, seemed to dark. But it was fixed with lights & decors.
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    9 years ago
    If the dark cabinets are not your taste then by all means paint them, just be aware that to get them just right, it's a very expensive proposition.
  • Jie Lu
    9 years ago
    My cabinets look exact same as yours and I have the similar countertop. I used to think of painting the cabinets to white when I just bought the house, but I didn't. Get used to it.
  • Peg Silverwood
    9 years ago
    They are beautiful! You just move in? Live with them for a while. I would leave them and consider changing the flooring, the paint on the walls and the back splash to lighten up the area. Cream and white color cabinets have been in a while, like many trends will go out.
  • PRO
    Kustom Home Design
    9 years ago
    I agree with painting the island, improve your lighting (add some pendants over the island), consider adding glass front doors in a few places with in cabinet lighting and if you have a tower element such as wall ovens or refrigerator tower you can consider painting these as well. I would not paint all the cabinets. The stain is beautiful and contemporary.
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Agree with Erin Downey- the island countertop gives a dark appearance to the room. Glad you are changing it. What material have you decided on? If you want to play with color options, get some large pieces of poster board and coat with paint samples in colors close to your solid surface choices. Place the boards on the island and stand back. A fun activity for a slow day in the winter, and you can always use the poster board for your next science project.
  • Denise McCabe
    9 years ago
    Paint but have it done by professional so it doesn't look like a bad dyi! White back cabinets different color island.
  • alfess
    9 years ago
    I just finished a kitchen cabinet painting task changing my standard oak cabinets to a painted light pewter color. I am very pleased with the results. Add some new hardware, and the kitchen has not only been updated, but much brighter!
  • Jubi Arriola_Headley
    9 years ago
    Don't know if anyone suggested this - but paint only the uppers. When I re-did my kitchen I used espresso base cabinets and antique white uppers. I LOVE the look. See what you think.
  • noname57
    9 years ago
    Oh I think this kitchen is beautiful! I think all it needs is some under cabinet lighting and pendants over the island -- I think that would modernize it and definitely help brighten it up. Like others say, sometimes you just need to live in the house a bit and consider whether it's really worth the $$ to change it and then its a question if you'll really like it better when you're all done.....
    Claire Cellier thanked noname57
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    9 years ago
    I think painting them white would be a good contrast. A grey island would look great as well.

Good luck:)
    Claire Cellier thanked Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
  • PRO
    June McGrew, Design Chic Interiors
    9 years ago
    White kitchens are in ! I favor the lightness of white and stainless together with the new backsplash that have tile stainless combinations.
  • PRO
    June McGrew, Design Chic Interiors
    9 years ago
    If you paint them do all of the cabinets not just the upper. If it's a do it yourself project, you may want to think not to paint at all, it is ALOT of work and time.
  • Tara Brant
    9 years ago
    If you paint white, you will need to change the back splash, and likely counter tops. I just don't see the white working with what is existing. It is worth a try to change out those things and see if you can brighten it up, get a look that is more appealing to you. White is the hot tend right now, but I have seen too many fairly new kitchens with visible chips and wear. Painting the uppers is one way to lighten it up. Upper cabinets don't tend to get as much wear.
    Claire Cellier thanked Tara Brant
  • Cyndee Iamarino
    9 years ago
    Rather than painting you cabinets I suggest you change out the backsplash and flooring first.
    Claire Cellier thanked Cyndee Iamarino
  • luckey85
    9 years ago
    Many comments to add pendant lighting over the island. If your cans are in the right place consider DIY instant pendant lighting.
    I have placed these over my kitchen island and over the master bathroom vanity. Installing is as simple as screwing In a light bulb....literally! The cords are adjustable to get the right hang. Google "instant pendant lighting" or can converters. I don't have a photo of my kitchen island lighting so have posted the bathroom lights...many different style available.
    The advice to get under cabinet lighting (assuming you don't already have it) is essential....added it to my dark little kitchen and was amazed at the difference it made.....have seen many new built high end homes that don't have under counter lighting!
  • retroearth
    9 years ago
    Live in your house a year before you make any major changes. Focus on maintenance first then decorating/design.
    Claire Cellier thanked retroearth
  • eileenny
    9 years ago
    If the cabinets are indeed as fine a quality as they look in the photo, then I think you should keep them and replace the counters and backsplash. White horizontal surfaces will reflect light and brighten everything up. Go with a tile backsplash that includes white with a value close to that of the cabinets in a small or narrow pattern. New modern hardware and additional lighting is all you need.
    Claire Cellier thanked eileenny
  • Claire Cellier
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    First step. I still have to change the front of the fridge for a stainless one.
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    9 years ago
    If you want to paint the cabinets you might consider french vanilla color with some glaze brown.
    Claire Cellier thanked Comwest Construction
  • suezbell
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Update? Lighter countertops lightened the room. What, if anything, did you decide about the cabinets themselves?

I would NOT paint the beautiful wood cabinets; however, if you still feel you need to add some lighter color to the room to make you like it more, consider painting only the base of the island and stop and live with that a while before even considering painting more.

New lighting above the island could create a different visual that might appeal to you more.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RzYAAOxy4XNSP3Ny/s-l300.jpg

http://arcadianhome.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/TFFR5103VA_Tiffanysettingshot_pg_201.jpg

• fredavancoller
    6 years ago

After all the different advise that was given, I'm very interested to know if the owner painted the kitchen or not.