Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kooch

exterior...this is one ugly little house...ideas?

kooch
9 years ago
Just about finished inside of our downsize cottage, may have to wait till spring, but have no vision at this point for this exterior!

Comments (26)

• kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The house seems backwards on the lot, the sliding doors off dining area face the street, and the main entrance with closet is at the back. We all use the back, but new people seem confused on where to knock
  • kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Our driveway is on the left, the lower one on right is neighbours
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Start by removing the blocky hedge in photo #1. What kind of pencil trees are those out front? I think they need to go too. Now's the time to get rid of all the greens around the house and then start with a new concept and fresh plants in the spring. Looks to be a stucco home. I'd stucco the retaining wall and paint it and the house to match.
    kooch thanked decoenthusiaste
  • kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, I agree the plantings don't do anything where they are. I think previous owners thought the cedars out front would hide the power pole, but they have been chewed to pencils by deer! I really like the look of those very tall feathery grasses, but don't know if they would survive the winters
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Your experience finishing the interior will help with doing the outside, too. You might consider ordering a simple wall plaque with "Welcome" to put next to the real front door. I can't tell from the photos which door is the front door. Paint that door a friendly color that stands out. Put the house address numbers in an area visible from the street.

The wood/shingled(?) shade awning might be replaced by solar film on the window underneath. Other ideas: paint the downspouts to match the wall color, restain the deck in the spring, put in some new landscaping.
    kooch thanked apple_pie_order
  • taniaglen
    9 years ago
    Hi, remove the pencil trees,erect a small fence to direct visitors to the door,plant up along the neighbours boundary, create. focal point to the entrance, a bold door colour is needed against a paler house color.
    kooch thanked taniaglen
  • taniaglen
    9 years ago
    some oversize door numbers above where the rubbish bin is
  • taniaglen
    9 years ago
    some oversize door numbers above where the rubbish bin is
  • Claudianne Young
    9 years ago
    If you do not want folks to come to the sliding door I would put a barrier up such as a section or two of fencing with a lattice at the top. Remove the shrubs and get them out of the way. I would move the mailbox to the opposite end of the wall. Then I would put something like an arched trellis or little arbor to walk through to get to the front door. Hang a welcome sign from it or put it on a post next to the arch. If you could move the mailbox and house numbers near it as well. I would move the trash can lay some pavers and landscaping on the side of the walkway leading from the arch/arbor opening to the door.
    kooch thanked Claudianne Young
  • pgteach
    9 years ago
    What if you replace the slider with French or atrium doors, it would look so much nicer from the street, but it probably would not solve your problem if your table sits there,big help me.
    kooch thanked pgteach
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    9 years ago
    Yes ornamental grasses survive winter depending on what you pick. I would ask at your local landscape nursery. Ornamental grasses usually go dormant ie brown for the winter.
    kooch thanked Red Berm
  • kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We will definitely take out the hedge. The picture of the door with the trash bin is in our backyard, with a long skinny driveway leading to if on the left. But that is the only door to use. Down below on the right is an entrance to the basement. Glad to see some of that feathery grass with snow on it!
  • kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What about colours? Anything spring to mind looking at this weird green stucco?
  • kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The Rivendell Manor · More Info
  • kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is what I wish the house looked like! Ha!
  • kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Never even thought of a dark colour, but that might just be the ticket
  • Janice Rariden
    9 years ago
    I like the paint, trim and paint color. Roof works too. I was thinking a nice trellis to balance the window to the left of the deck after you take out the box hedge. A black market umbrella would brighten the deck and would be a nice contrast to the green paint and white trim. Along the side I would line it with a low growing agapanthus type plant. Tying the deck color to the White House trim would unify the deck to the house. Paint just the banisters and the posts. Pull in color with pottery planters strategically placed.
  • Janice Rariden
    9 years ago
    Lighting would enhance the doors, front and back and they would also welcome visitors. I'm thinking black craftsman style, simple but a big impact.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Do you have more photos? Is your driveway on the right or left as you look from the street with the utility pole?
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    It's a big leap from Rivendell cottage to this regular house... Rivendell has a steep pitched roof, stone and Tudor-ish beams on the facade. If your roof needs replacement soon, you could ask an architect about making the roof have a steeper pitch, or talk to a good contractor about how much it would cost and what's involved. An alternative would be some really sharp new landscaping perhaps with the snow resistant grasses and some additional decking or pergola.
  • kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Note the "ha!" At the end of my comment with Rivendell manor photo, I was just trying to be funny :) We did do the roof this fall when we first bought the house, it was in bad shape and we needed it done quickly. Our driveway is on the left along with some square concrete pavers that function as a sidewalk going to door at back. The one with the retaining wall is neighbours parking.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    I see, nice to get a new roof and retain sense of humor, too. Do you have any current photos?
  • kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nothing different except the roof shingles are a dark gray mix. If it wasn't raining I would go out and take another. I wish we hadn't been in such a hurry to get the roof on, a steeper pitch, or an overhang over the back door at the very least would have been nice.
  • kooch
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And I wish I would have got a bigger window and replaced little one on front left which is over the sink. Would have been nicer both interior and exterior. Now kitchen is painted and tiled I don't want to start tearing up again!
  • PRO
    Water Wall Biz, LLC
    9 years ago
    Go with a light paint color to lighten up the house and the mood its pretty green and murky :(