Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fitzie4321

Need help with my fireplace and TV cabinet!

fitzie4321
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
This is a picture of our faux stone fireplace in the house we are purchasing and tv box that houses the TV and all equipment. I'd like to change the whole thing and get rid of the TV cabinet. What do you recommend for the area? We are staining the floors very dark. Also, window treatments??? If so, where to hang panels? The ceiling is sloped. Thanks for the input!

Comments (32)

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    You want to get rid of the TV cabinet. Do you wish to have a TV mounted in the same position? The height of the wall as shown with the windows is at its highest point? What is the measurement at the lowest point in the room. Are there other windows in the room?
  • mollyb12
    11 years ago
    Crisp Architects · More Info

Jenkins Baer Associates · More Info

Design Savvy · More Info

Olive Mill · More Info

B Living Room · More Info

Hope this helps to inspire some ideas
  • fitzie4321
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi- we'd like to mount the TV there but are not married to the idea. We're open to anything right now. the wall ends where the beige ends and then the ceiling slopes up from there. There are no other windows in the room. The wall to the left is solid and the area to the right is the breakfast room/kitchen. Would you put window treatments on these windows?
  • PRO
    Debra Blake Design
    11 years ago
    I think panels would look great on the windows hung high at least 8 to 12 inches above the window frame. To soften the line between the ceiling and walls you might want to consider painting the walls and ceiling the same colour but paint the ceiling 1/2 strength (paint always appears darker on the ceiling).
    Do a nice fireplace surround and hang the TV above it after you remove the cabinet.
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    fitzie To me without a fireplace surround the cabinet on top although very nice makes the fireplace look top heavy. I as well would do make the fireplace have a finished look by adding more of whats up top down the sides. Right now fireplace looks unfinished and scale of fireplace looks to small for the cabinet up top. The white on the fireplace would need to be possibly faux finished with a soft color . It just stands out way to much. I have been to friends homes who have tv mounted up high like that and after awhile LOOKING up plays havoc on the neck.
  • carlycc
    11 years ago
    If there are no other windows in the room then you could move the tv to the wall on the left, as long as there is no direct light reflection from that angle. You could then possibly leave the windows openly framed and therefore with a view, and configure your seating to suit both sitting by the fire and watching the box!
  • fitzie4321
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all!it sounds like the cabinet has to go Would you surround the fireplace in limestone? What sort of material is timeless and neutral? I cant stand the stone so I'd like to change it Keep the mantle or get rid of it?
  • carlycc
    11 years ago
    limestone is perfect for this walled fireplace, and symmetrical windows with a view to the outside world! I would lose the mantle and tile the entire wall with limestone. Move the telly to the left wall so it can be viewed and enjoyed by the cook too! x
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Hands down I vote for the Santa Barbara room. I like the layering, backdrop and shape! Crisp Architects ROCK. :)
  • Kimberly Hogan_Castillo
    11 years ago
    You need drapes & sheers.. Remove the clutter in front of the windows put the chair instead, use a chair slip cover then use the table on the side wall.Use a large plant in front of left window. and Use the shelf somewhere else.Use two diffrent colors on the tv cabinet. Or remove the top design.Use a accent natural toned rug .Use color that coordinates and gives the room a airy feeling of clean & crisp.
  • Kimberly Hogan_Castillo
    11 years ago
    The windows are lovely thou. I need to remove the clutter from my bedroom & paint & redecorate. I am excited to get started.Good look. Repost after done.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- I think the cabinet thing over the fireplace has to go. To me it looks amature and just silly . the windows need some nice white semi-sheer drapes hung high ( 8 ft.) from some big chunky rods w/ finials (2) on the ends that are near the fireplace .Have the drapes pull one way on each side . The fireplace also needs a mantel surround to make it look less faux and fill it out a bit.
  • PRO
    Fay Jones Day Tile
    11 years ago
    I know that it is becoming popular to put your flat screen TV above the fireplace, but I think a painting belongs in that spot. What about a lovely painting that slides to the side when you want to watch TV?
  • sharleeg
    11 years ago
    def remove the cab. That was a dated thing back when TV's had all that depth you had to have go someplace. I had these in my prior house. I love the idea of a limestone surround and FP. You can find ones that are lightweight (cast) and relatively inexpensive. As far as TV placement in room.. depends on where the doors are for entry and how you need to arrange furniture. that should dictate where the TV hangs.I also think sometimes the mantels mean the TV sits too high for comfortable viewing. I would do panels on those windows, not just for privacy for softness and texture and color. Hang as high as you can to gain height in room. It looks lovely. have fun!
  • PRO
    Change Design
    11 years ago
    Hi. By any chance is this home in the Chicago area? This is the type of work we do and would love to help you with the room's transformation. www.changedesigngroup.net
  • PRO
    HX Home Solutions and North Star Stone
    11 years ago
    We work with homeowners and their fireplaces and design ideas. We will leave the drapes to other professionals.

First a TV mounted over the fireplace is a great idea for many families. It is combining two focal elements at one spot. You will find that you will enjoy your fireplace more with the TV over the fireplace. We have not had any problems with heat and the TV.

I would suggest you remove the existing stone and widened the fireplace to just inside the switches. The stone should be installed from floor to ceiling. I feel you can be a bit dramatic with the colors of the stone, however, the trick is blending the stone style and color to create beautiful focal point.

For more information, you can look at our web site and the many pictures of TV's at
    www.northstarstone.biz. And like Change Design Group, we happen to also serve the Chicago market.
  • fitzie4321
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    we are in the Carolinas but your work looks beautiful!
  • PRO
    Change Design
    11 years ago
    Well, thank you very much. We appreciate your compliment.
    Sarah
  • PRO
    Fay Jones Day Tile
    11 years ago
    Diann- I'm glad you feel the same way about the TV.
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    You know Fay we have a 60 in and we did build it inside the wall but there is alot of things around it that take the eye off the tv. I better not get started haha on the way I feel about tvs haha . sure, love having one but its not priority in my life but then again thats just me..
  • fitzie4321
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The art over the TV is a great idea, but how does it work? Is it on a hinge, some sort of rail system?
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    Fitzie the one I saw was 2 paintings on rails I saw it in some store several years ago. In one store there is a beautiful credenza it was a taller piece and had electric motors in it was fabulous . push a button tv came up loved it . They have been around for about 6 years or so now so something even better is out there . Good luck I know you will do what is best for your budget and your room.
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    Fitzie what is on left wall near the what looks like a black chair. Could you have something on that wall with then float the sofa across from it
  • beulah61521
    11 years ago
    Great ideas here. Diann is right, think, think, think before you do anything. I love the idea of stone on more of the fireplace wall. I think it needs a mantle though. When the holidays come around you will wish you had a nice bulky mantle for dispaly. TV next to the fireplace is a better idea and lends to change if you ever want to. We have one room with the tv on the wall above the fireplace (master) and one room with the tv beside the fireplace (living room). I love the tradition of a beautiful art piece or painting above the fireplace in your main living area and being able to rearrange your living area once in awhile. The tv above the fireplace limits that. Good luck, post pics when you are done.
  • fitzie4321
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes the wall to the left is a giant two story wall- no built ins, etc. my only concern with putting the tv on that wall is how do I fill the rest of the wall? We don't want to build cabinetry, etc there. I LOVE the idea of a large picture over the fireplace with possibly a gallery light over it. Any pictures of a very large two story wall with a tv that doesn't feel too stark?
  • PRO
    Fay Jones Day Tile
    11 years ago
    fitzie- Your guess is as good as mine I don't know exactly how you would do it. Maybe build a frame and put a hinge on it like a door so that you could open it to watch the tv. yes , the fireplace looks small with that big.
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    BIG 2 STORY WALL at one house we had we hung a beautiful artsy rug up high on the wall we had a cat walk up there with railing . Then possibly some shelves with something very special to you . Look at the things you have collected and find something that means something to you and yours trying hard not to make it look cluttered but a reminder to you on your lives together.. Last thing is your tv . Consignment stores have lovely things at times . Look for a unusual cabinet that you use for your tv yet hide you components in . You can build up the fire place later on once you get the tv situated. The money you save in one area will help you put some extra bucks into a surround and mantel for your fireplace. I do wish you the best I love your doors there . When it comes time to reface your fireplace its gonna be smashing. Good luck send pics when you design your dream room . PS How big is the tv?
  • carlycc
    11 years ago
    Hi fitzie, you could surround the tv with black framed photographs, after all, the telly is a big black box! maybe even a few mirrors into the mix?
  • PRO
    Debra Blake Design
    11 years ago
    I think putting the tv on the big wall is a great idea. Put a lovely console below with a lamp, a stack of beautiful books, big baskets underneath or stools for extra seating. Around the TV is a great opportunity to hang some great art, photography maybe mix in some mirrors. Have fun :)
    Good idea not to put it above the fireplace, but now you have to get the furniture placement right because you have 2 focal points...just a thought
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    entertainment wall units with fireplace . I googled decorating a 2 story wall and saw some great ideas tried to copy it for you and paste not sure why it didn't work. But had tons of great ideas that included your tv . Some had fireplace to the side and the big wall housed a cabinet with tv . Nice chunky mantel on fireplace.
    hang some over-sized canvases or 2 mirrors had alot of great ideas there Fitzie. The internet is fabulous for pics and ideas. Keep checking different sites here in Houzz which is where I ended up after I Googled your 2 story wall
  • PRO
    HX Home Solutions and North Star Stone
    11 years ago
    There are some great options with a space like this. We have some great ideabooks and galleries you could take a look at that show what others have done with such a large space. Let us know if you have any questions! http://www.northstarstone.biz/fireplace-pictures.htm