Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristinmarkham

Ideas of what to do with front facade wall?

kristinmarkham
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Behind this ugly wall lies a well-built ranch style home. Some of the support beams are rotting so the wall must come down and we would like to replace it with something which looks more modern and less imposing. Any ideas???

Comments (9)

• lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI --- I can see this in a post and beam style . Find a builder that does post and beam construction . Look on Houzz " search "post and beam porches or homes " for some ideas. Keep the large exterior lanterns and use them on each side of the front door when the porch is opened up .They will go with the new beamed style exterior. If you can save the brick , they could be used for driveway edging or small planter walls around the flower beds .
  • Christine W
    11 years ago
    Just gonna go for broke on this one. I LOVE THE EXTERIOR. In fact I think you should re-consider removing it and instead try to save it. I would blow out the interior wall and let those arches be the front of the house and then get some kick-ass beams and arch that ceiling out with beams and hand troweled plaster and THEN I would put in arched picture windows with a center seam so you can swing those bad boys open. It reminds me of an authentic mission style church. I would play that part of it up and conform the ranch to that instead. I saw photos of the interior of Cheryl Tiege's home and while her style is not mission the emphasis on the height is the same. Granted my sample photos are in the extreme but I hope they give you a hint.
  • Jamieson
    11 years ago
    I'm in agreement with lefty, a post and beam style might be the solution. I could see something like this working for your exterior, mind you on a larger scale. Good luck, and keep us posted! http://www.houzz.com/mediterranean-porch-exterior-ranch-brick
  • Jamieson
    11 years ago
    Bah, here's the link I meant to provide!
    Up Front · More Info
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    Perhaps a contemporary porte cochere? Here are some photos for ideas. If some appear grand, simply reduce the scale......Consider adding some tall planters with large aloes or cacti for added interest. Enjoy and please post your after" photos!
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    oops, porte cocheres did not come through....will try again...
  • amaninsf
    11 years ago
    I actually really like your house. With a little cleaning up (steam clean the bricks), and remove the iron bars and dated landscape, you could have a show piece! That said, I understand your desire to tweak it and it definitely has the bones to go more contemporary ranch if that's what you are looking for. Best of luck to you!
  • bruinjon2012
    11 years ago
    It really depends on you and your personality. If you like to project more and be a bit more noticeable than I would definitely add a new facade and protruding entry/drive up/porte coheres that looks lighter and brighter, and I would use contemporary materials that modernize yet honor those old bricks. If you are more subdued I'd still add a smaller facade and Porte cohere, but I might use mostly wood, capture some of those old bricks and create a scaled down appearance. Currently, it seems as if the residence really disappears back into its surroundings. Not always a bad thing. I think it all depends on if you want to yell out "look at us!", or a simple, "Hi, we're back over here". You may want to look back at some great old Clifford May designs for inspiration. Nice house in any case, enjoy it!