Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poyan_varg

Wallpaper or no for The Office space?

Poyan Varg
9 years ago
Ok, so I want to know what you people with great taste think I should do here in my work space.

The walls especially. Should I just fix the wholes and whatnot and keep it white or should I put up a nice wallpaper on one of these big walls?
What are your ideas and thoughts please?

Comments (66)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Paper only at computer wall... I think that wall will make the room seem longer and narrower.
    Poyan Varg thanked LB Interiors
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    paper the window wall as suggested by decoenthusiaste. Have fun. zebras,stars, tromp l' oeil

[houzz=
    Balnarring Beach House · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Foyer: Bryant Keller Interiors · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Bathrooms · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Contemporary Bedroom · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Girls Room · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    East Lake Shore Drive Residence · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Trompe L´oeil Stars - Wallpaper · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Angela Gutekunst Interiors, Inc. · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Small Space Living in Outport Community, Port Rexton · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Yes, the window wall. I mentioned that too :)
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    How about a cool mural or bold graphic image?
    Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

house G · More Info

DKOR Interiors - Interior design at the Bath Club in Miami Beach, FL · More Info
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    One thing I read is that and let me know houzzers, is that on the long walls a cool color is better [and not darkened cool].
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    birds over new paint color //mural over blue - install cheap trim, only if you fall in love with a certain scene.
    Seagulls Flock in Flight Decal · More Info
    Wildflowers in Mount Rainier National Park - Washington Wall Mural - 72 Inches W · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    everdebz, that doesn't make sense to me... sorry. The color on long walls. All of that depends on the room, the size, the function, the feeling desired and the tastes of the client.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    @LB that's ok though I hope I'm able to sort it out....what I had read was to 'correct a narrow room is to place warm on the end walls so they'll advance forward' [and cool on the long] - is that not the way 'it has to be' you're saying??!
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    a long narrow room is a long narrow room. Your eye will always go to the back wall with the window. the more impact this wall has the less you will fee the narrowness of the room.
    what you need is a style. right now is a clean room with a desk and some shelves. find a style or an object you like. be it wallpaper, wall color, lamp, rug and work from there. some examples:

[houzz=
    Union St Armadale · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Bellevue Hill · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Modern Home | Kimberly Demmy Design · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Blue-Green Renovation · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Painted Maple Corner Office - Armonk, NY · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    mix with vintage · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Contemporary London House · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Modern Home | Kimberly Demmy Design · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Blue-Green Renovation · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Inverness · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Royalton - A Perfect Blend of Classic and Contemporary Design · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Irvine House · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Regal Heights · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    English Country in Northome · More Info
    ]
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I would put a very eye catching wallpaper on the longest wall (the one you see when you enter the room) and build more storage on the window wall. Shelves running from wall to wall will make that short wall look wider. A cover for the radiator to hide that.
    Why on the longest wall? So it doesn't drive you crazy when you see it all the time and it will balance the room out. If you put it on the desk wall, everything is happening there, making the room top heavy on that side. In my opinion. But I'm not a pro :-)

Millburn Condo · More Info

Radiator Covers · More Info

There are so many gorgeous wallpapers that would give your office an extra dimension...
    Irvin Gray Birch Tree Wallpaper, Bolt · More Info

Medallion, Self-Adhesive, Removable Wallpaper, Platinum, 56.37 Sq. Ft. · More Info

Luci Della Città, Autumn, Wallpaper Roll · More Info

Luci Della Città, Summer, Wallpaper Roll · More Info
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    That said I would paint the walls in a luminous light blue in a pearly finish, and add a square in wall in front of the desk and install a mural you like. Add black and white pictures in wide black frames
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    I'm learning I'm contemplating :)
    thanks to all!
  • acm
    9 years ago
    I would not do it! that's *really* close to be to wallpaper, whether it's ahead or behind, and I think you'd feel closed in. try some art instead!!
  • PRO
    alexandragilson
    9 years ago
    Why not a wallpaper from the collection Wood from cole and son. In black and white. Not to present but giving a modern natural fresh style ( to put on the wall opposite the door ).
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    I love the clean and natural elements of your work space. I would use a nice, natural grasscloth wallpaper, preferably one like this:
    Mandarin Fantasy Grasscloth Wallpaper · More Info
    Poyan Varg thanked ACT ONE DESIGNS
  • Poyan Varg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thank you steve henderson for your input. it was very useful to me and I truly appreciate it. Also very nice paintings! you are an artist :> thank you again..
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    You're welcome, Poyan, and thank you for your kind comments. Good luck on that office, and always remember -- it's a place to be happy in. We spend a lot of time in our offices!
    Poyan Varg thanked User
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    everdebz, yes you are correct. I am just not fond of breaking up a a very small narrow room with opposite color walls. It is just my preference for my solution, that's all. Only my preference here :)) Thanks for the question. Your solution can help the room too :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    sacapuntaslapioz has some great examples with photos. Some of those rooms are wider than this room. For me, tall bookcases flanking the long narrow walls in the photos can visually close in the space even more. Function, storage and maybe necessity seems to be of prime importance in those design plans.
  • amberblevins
    9 years ago
    I'm a wallpaper addict. Sometimes it makes the room. Do one wall with a large print like tropical leaves or palms. Or do the ceiling with wallpaper. I've done this and have had many compliments. If not wallpaper then do one wall a dark color and the others light. Hope this helps.
  • Poyan Varg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Are there any good white brick wallpapers out there that look real and maybe even feel authentic? I thought maybe doing the long wall into white bricks...thoughts?
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    9 years ago
    If you do wallpaper, check out these papers, beautiful, minimalist designs that border on mural/ geometric art, I think you'd love...

http://www.quirkandrescue.com/product-category/wallpaper/

Then there are these modular tiles, that border on custom artwork...that I love..

http://moonishco.com/2014/11/5/vr3207q0u7ff9if9epbtttzs14nv2u

Somehow this is the vibe I got from you for the very limited interaction that houzz provides.

Good luck to you, I look forward to the development!
    Poyan Varg thanked Aggie dba Aggie Designs
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    A quick google came up with this for brick wallpapers: : http://totalwallcovering.com/c73/brick.aspx
  • Poyan Varg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I wonder if those wallpapers are flat or "stick out" - I'd like something that gives it a feeling of being real and authentic. I guess its hard knowing until you order hehe.
  • Jamie
    9 years ago
    I picture a dark grey suede accent wall with the rest of the walls painted a lighter grey.

[houzz=
    Bedroom Loft Redesign · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Faux concrete fireplace · More Info
    ]
  • Jamie
    9 years ago
    Very good at hiding imperfections on the walls and looks great when done over paneling.
  • PRO
    Elephants on the Wall
    9 years ago
    Have you ever considered a mural? I realize that some can be quite expensive, but we have a great solution for that - Paint-by-Number murals! They are super easy to do - even for the "artistically challenged". Simply Tape, Trace & Paint.

For an office such as yours there are a variety of options. If you want to do something soft and subtle you could try our Bamboo Silhouette mural. This customer simply repeated the 4 foot wide ($49.00) mural several times across the wall over a soft sage green background. She then painted the bamboo in exactly the same color but a different sheen which gives it a dimensional look and creating a Zen feel.

If you want to get a bit more bold, you could paint our Paisley or Damask mural and choose any colors you like - bright and colorful or soft and subtle.

If you really want to get wild and crazy you could try our Unzipped mural. The pattern is only the zipper so you can leave the wall color on either side of it one color and make the unzipped area a different color - maybe a sky blue?
    For more info and options go to: www.elephantsonthewall.com
  • jens56
    9 years ago
    I would suggest painting the room in a warmer color rather than using wallpaper. I also agree with @decoenthusiaste that built in storage/bookshelves on the wall where the window and heater are would look good.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    @LB my comment was to use one or the other, not both together...but that's why I'm glad we can 'talk'... :)
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    YES.....! Wallpaper will make your office more interesting and colourful.
    Will brighten the room and give you inspiration.
    Need some kind of 'happy thing' in a boring old office don't you!?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Everdebz, thank you, I think I understand you. You would choose either a warm color for all the walls or a cool color for all the walls. Warm or cool colors can be used in any room. Yes, I agree. It is a matter of preference. It is not only warm/cool that needs consideration. It is also the color saturation. Color affects us in an emotional way.

The choice for either (warm/cool) must include a consideration for the 'saturation' of either color chosen, whether it is warm or cool. If the color is too warm or too bright, it might be a bit much for a small room for one's taste. One would have to feel comfortable with it surrounding them in a small space.

If the color is too dark, it will make the room appear smaller and one would feel closed in, unless one wants to feel cozy.
    Not only is a color chosen by taste (warm/cool) but also by it's saturation (light, bright/dark) which greatly affects the feeling in any room.

Your reference to receding and advancing walls does not have anything to do with warm or cool color choices. Light color (warm or cool) walls make a wall or room seem larger and advance. Darker colors (warm or cool) make a room smaller and recede.

Warm and cool color does not so much affect the visual to achieve a receding wall or an advancing wall. The lightness and darkness of color does affect receding and advancing walls. Both warm and cool, light and dark need to be considered together in choosing a color.

I hope that explains the considerations needed for choosing a color.
  • Poyan Varg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm gonna go for white bricks wallpaper. I think it will be enough and then some more warm painting etc.. and something nice by the little window..but a white brick wallpaper on the long wall that is behind ME
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Wallpaper is nice. If you need a neutral space keep it white. I do like the idea of wallpaper unless you will be distracted by it.
    Poyan Varg thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    It would seem that choosing the brick paper on the wall behind you will prevent you from enjoying the fruits of your labor by not seeing it while spending a lot of time facing the other wall.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I think it's a good idea. Hope you'll post the end result :-)
  • Poyan Varg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok so I decided for either of these two to have on the long wall. Which later the desk will be next to. Which of these two wallpapers do u think?
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    I prefer the one on the right!
    Poyan Varg thanked ACT ONE DESIGNS
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I like the brick on the right. Less contrast in color within the pattern. No dark lines. It's a bit more subtle because you will be very close to it, if you will be facing the wallpapered wall?
    Will you be using the paper on the wall where the desk is now?
  • Poyan Varg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LB Interiors: I will be putting it on the wall that is behind me (NOW) which is the long wall but I will later switch the desk to that wall (where the steve jobs canvas is hanging) so i can face both the canvas and the new brick wallpaper - good idea?
  • Poyan Varg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Let me just post some more pictures of the wallpaper to the Left which hasn't gotten any votes yet :> - still the brighter one that hasn't got the black lines? :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    That's a real good choice, switching walls. The wallpapered wall will be the first wall seen and is the focal wall upon entering this room. I think I misunderstood the door entrance to the room previously. Went back to check your photos :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I think the paper choice is a preference. The lines seen in the paper might seem more realistic. It's also a bit more rustic design. Your call.
  • Poyan Varg
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'll go with the one you said and act one designs said - which is the one on the right in the first set of pictures i posted. Less blackness in them which might be good I guess..
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    I like them both, Poyan. Go with your instincts.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Poyan you can call me LB :)
  • Sharon
    9 years ago
    If you want to, just wallpaper one wall with a vibrant, large pattern. Just an accent. And then, when you change your mind, it's just removing one wall. Be sure to prime the wall for wallpaper so it will come off easier.
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    Just ran into this photo. Thought you might like it! Hope your project is coming along....
Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County