Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariaanne

Deck or patio for 4-level split?

Luiza Savage
11 years ago
Hello -- I am paralyzed with indecision! Here is the dilemma with our 4-level split. We are going to connect our dining room to the backyard by opening up the brick wall and installing 8-foot long sliding glass doors (white chalk outline in photo).

We plan to put in a flagstone patio over the concrete patio, extending it along the house and pulling it out to a depth of 12 feet (the current concrete patio is 10 feet deep.)

The question is, how to connect the doors to the patio?

The house is a 4 level split. The dining room is about 45 inches above the ground in the backyard. The building code requires a 3-foot deep landing for any drop over 15 inches.

The options seem to be:

1) DECK Build a deck for the area in front of the dining room with steps down to patio. The deck would be just large enough for a table for our family of 4. When entertaining guests and their kids, additional tables would be on the patio. The deck could be at level of dining room, or 15 inches below (one step two risers) to keep it from 'looming' over the yard. (CONS: More fuss than building patio. The taller the deck, the less privacy we'll have and will be 'on display' to neighbors while eating. Also will see more of ugly alleyway behind our backyard. Will chop of the space of the backyard. While entertaining, some people may have to be split up. PROS: Easy transition to outdoor eating area from dining room/kitchen. But bbq will have to be on the lower patio because we don't want the deck to extend too much into the patio because we want room down there for extra tables and seating. We can't extend the deck past the side of the house if the deck is more than 2 feet off the ground due to 8-foot from side lot line requirement in our county.

2. STAIRS W LANDING Landing styled as a "balcony" and wide stairs, perhaps clad in brick and decorated with a fancy wrought iron railing. (CONS: Eats up space on the patio. Would have to go down steps to get to seating and bbq-ing area. PR

Comments (10)

• Luiza Savage
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oops -- I guess there is a word limit. I wanted to say that other PROs are that stone and wrought iron more unified and elegant than adding wood deck into the mix. And simpler to build. Anyway -- thank you so much for any comments, advice or shared experiences.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- Best advice is, get a deck designer or a landscape designer. This is such a small area and I think your trying to squeeze in something that's not going to work the way you prefer it. Someone need to come and measure and draw out a plan for you.There are also bylaws as to how far openings can be near services like gas lines etc..
  • Luiza Savage
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have someone who has sketched out various options for me, but I just can't decide whether landing stairs or a deck are a more desirable way of connecting to the patio.
  • PRO
    garden design online
    11 years ago
    Just visual design pics could help you to decide how to do.You can select a most desirable way of connecting to the patio from different style designed photos.417133845@qq.com will help you for saving money.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Hi mariaanne, personally I like to go right outside the deck instead of having to step down with a landing, it just makes entertaining easier and also could be a safety concern especially if you young children.

Traditional Deck · More Info
  • PRO
    Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would have your deck a couple of inches lower than your Dining Room finish floor. Take the deck out 12' just like you have planned.

The deck railing should be 42" high, balusters at 4" o.c. This will provide you with some sense of privacy as will a patio/table umbrella at your deck table. You can also try planting a tree near the fence along the alley to provide more privacy.

Take the stairs down to the patio, railings height at 36" above stair nosing, balusters @ 4" o.c..

You can do variations on the baluster and railing design, keeping in mind that code requires that a 4" diameter object (ball) cannot pass through.

Depending on budget, you can also do a pergola instead of the umbrella. All of these provide you with a sense of privacy.

Have fun. This will be a great improvement to your home as the deck and patio now become more flexible for use and entertaining. You will consider this your "good weather bonus room".
  • Luiza Savage
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all your input -- and thanks for the pictures!

An umbrella or pergola are a nice idea except that area gets very little sun due to thick tree canopy from our tree plus trees in surrounding yards. I'd love to plant a tree by the side fence, but the existing tree has a huge root system with lots of roots above ground, so it's hard to plant anything substantive. Also, there is very little sun -- and will be even less if we put in a deck. I've planted a climbing hydrangea at the base of the fence that I hope will cover the fence as an aesthetic matter, but won't do much for privacy there.

Our neighbors on the other side of the yard (not pictured) have a deck so we know first hand the privacy issues. Basically, they are totally exposed to our yard and their conversations audible to the point that we feel sheepish hanging out in our backyard while they are entertaining.

While I like the idea of being able to just walk straight out onto the deck (with a 4 inch drop for snow accumulation) there is a trade-off. If the deck is more than 2 feet above ground, then we can't bump it out toward the fence to fit a bbq. That means the bbq does down on the patio, and we have to go up and down stairs from the deck to use it.

So many trade-offs. Hard to weigh them all.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Prunning the tree canopy will allow some sunlight in as well as allow better air flow on humid days.

The climing hydrangea is a great idea. A lattice barrier between your deck and your neighbors might help a little in sense of privacy, maybe not too much in sound buffering.

Is there a setback you have to maintain when the deck is higher above finish grade?

If you have to add steps from finish floor to the deck, for a lower deck, you have push your deck out to have room for your table, seating, and grill. Sketch out for yourself a higher deck option, with your required setback (if required) and a cantilevered angled corner for a grill at the point. Just a thought. Try thinking out of the box options.
  • Luiza Savage
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Joseph, Thanks for the comment. We have to maintain 8 feet from the side lot line if the deck is more than 2 feet above ground. That means it has to end at the side of the house. (I have looked into the procedure for getting a variance, but it would take months and cost a lot.)

On a lower deck, we can bump out to the side for BBQ.

The one-step two-risers drop to the deck will cost us one foot of depth.

I don't think the corner would work because we will run into the tree and block access to the side gate which leads to the shed, making it impossible to get things such as the lawnmower or tools out of the shed that is in the side of the house. More likely, we'll have to angle that corner to allow room to maneuver.

I like your idea of a lattice wall, too.

Overall, the sense I'm getting from the comments is that a deck would be more desirable than some sort of landing + stairs option leading to the open patio...
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    What if you did a step out "landing", about 6' out, wide enough to have a side area for the grill and then have steps down to the patio. Choose a direction for the steps which does not interfere with the grill area and maximizes patio area.

Being down at patio level for eating will provide better privacy. However, walking up and down stairs may be inconvinient, the excercise is healthy.