Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kazoo1

My air layer 'took'...Need some detailed info.

Kazoo1
19 years ago

Well, my Acer Palmatum air layer "took." I can see roots all around inside the plastic. Ringed the bark, put on rooting hormone, moss and wrapped. Used hypodermic to keep wet.

Right now the roots are very large in diameter and about inch to 1 1/2" in length.

The trunk at the layer is 3/8 "

1. How long til I should pot in soil?

2. Regular bonsai soil?

3. Pot WITH the sphagnum or remove the sphagnum before potting?

4. Wire tree into pot?

5. Prune after potting?

6. Any site requirements?

7. How far below roots should old wood be cut?

8. Anything I haven't asked but should?

TIA

Comments (4)

• Matt_Ouwinga
    19 years ago

Hi Tia,

There must be enough roots in the pot/bog that the roots are growing in to support the top portion of the tree which you are severing from the trunk. This may be hard to judge if your new to bonsai and/or new to airlayers, so I suggest that even in your nice zone 9 climate (I am a chilly zone 5 and have much zone envy! :) that you still wait at least another 1 1/2-2 months. Its always safe to cut the off-spring from the parent when the bag/pot is FULL of roots. Right now they may just be visible because roots naturally grow outward, so they hit the side of the bag or pot and grow down (or up sometimes). I am sure that behind those roots is a lot of soil that needs to be filled with roots before you make the cut.

You gotta have lots of patience with airlayers...its almost impossible (with excpetions of course!) to wait too long, but very easy to kill the new tree and jump on it too quick.

I airlayer about 12-15 trees minimum a year. I am airlayering a trident with a 8 inch trunk...it already has one year under its belt, but not enough roots. After this season, in the fall, I will severe the tree from the parent.

Just my suggestions...

Matt Ouwinga

P.S. did you see my post a few weeks back of the process of severing a trident maple airlayer with 4 inch trunk from the parent stock?

• Matt_Ouwinga
    19 years ago

Tia,
    Matt again...I didn't answer any of your specific questions because I don't think your at the point with your airlayer yet. Better safe than sorry.

When you cut the new plant away, then we can go over those specific questions..until then my advice would be to just water and the let the tree grow...foilage growth means root development, so don't prune any of the branches or shoots above the airlayer.

Matt Ouwinga

• Kazoo1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Matt.

By the way, I was wondering where "Tia" came from. Then figured it out. "TIA" was an abbreviation for Thanks In Advance.
    Sorry about confusion.

Larry

Full bagga roots it is, then.

• Matt_Ouwinga
    19 years ago

Hi Larry,

WOW...I really feel stupid that I thought your name was TIA, my mistake, please accept my apology! I am a high school teacher and have had students named 'Tia' so I just figured...anyhow,

I also like to take the conservative approach due to past mistakes I have made with airlayers and bonsai in general. If the bag is full of roots, I am sure you can cut, but my advice is still to let the tree grow for another month or two. Of course, I also no know nothing about the growing habits of california and bonsai there.

Can you post a picture in our gallery?

thanks,

Matt Ouwinga

Sponsored