Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obrionusa

Anyone try growing sugar ann snap pea in container?

obrionusa
14 years ago

Fresh Peas sound good and was thinking growing them in my heated garage in containers. Anyone want to comment on this idea?

Comments (5)

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

do you have enough light in your garage to make this work? I have grown peas in containers and that part works fine, but they will need more light to do well than any garage I have seen provides.

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have some 4' shop lights and can sit it on a west side window. Prob more trouble than worth, just want to grow something.

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

As a winter experiment where you aren't betting the farm on the outcome I think it's a fantastic idea.

Last year I started some snow peas trying to see the absolute earliest I could get them to produce peas. I sowed seed outside in raised beds, literally through the snow and using a screw driver to open the frozen soil. Those took forever to germinate.

The fastest was those I sowed in a trough shaped container and left indoors until germination and then placed outside anytime the temps were above freezing and indoors before it got colder. I lost the first batch to not getting them indoors when a hard freeze came along.

The second batch worked really well though. I was harvesting peas from those before the outdoor planted ones were an inch tall.

Sometimes during the winter you just have to find a way to scratch that itch and I think your idea sounds like a great experiment.

One suggestion would be to either arrange the shop lights along the side of the plants rather than overhead assuming you trellis them or use the shop lights overhead, but gently assist the peas in laying over on their side (they will flop naturally once they get much over 6-8" anyway). The idea is to expose as much of the leaf surfaces as possible to the light. Don't be afraid to put those lights just an inch away from the leaves either, they will be fine.

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If I had 5 plants in a pot how many peas would that give me to eat? I can see this adding up real quick.

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

No way to say as I have no idea how productive they would be.

I was trying to think of what kind of yields I got from my trough of peas last year and it occurred to me I really have no idea. My daughter is a pea snacker and every time she was outside she would hunt for the pods. I recall they had lots of flowers, but I didn't actually get to harvest many pods ;)