Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

Seed Germination with Toms, Peps, and Flowers

syntria
10 years ago

eee exciting!

I bought a heating pad and almost all of my seeds have germinated in just 5 days!

Here's a link to the high-res image

How long should I wait to transplant the tomatoes/peps to their own containers? I have 2 T8 bulbs and its about 6 weeks until my last frost.

Also anyone have any other recommendations of plants I should start early? I'd like to try some a few new things. :) I think I may have started the flowers too early.

This post was edited by Syntria on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 22:21

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

There is an excellent FAQ on how to grow tomatoes from seed with all the details on transplanting, lights, watering, etc. as well as FAQs and lots of discussions of all the other basics over on the Growing from Seed forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed forum

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I don't know what kinds of seeds you are growing now. But as far as timing is concerned it seems to be on the target for tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and more/

The next phase (after germination) is having a proper growing light system. You may want to go to Growing under Light forum.

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I keep being shocked by how many forums are on here! Didn't realize there was a light forum. Noticed the Seed exchange but not the seed forum. Thanks I'm actually not sure the last time I tried egg-plant. That's something I might wanna look into trying.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Where, what type, cost of your heating pad?

• dajsnipe
    10 years ago

If you find some of your seeds are taking longer to germinate you may need to nick the seed coat. With large seeds like pumpkins I just crack an edge, with small seeds I find a nail file works best.
    This will allow water to enter the seed kick starting the process.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Peppers normally take much longer to germinate than tomatoes or most other vegetables. And peppers also require warmer soil for germination and are slower growing - one reason why starting different seeds in separate containers is recommended since the germinated ones need to be removed from the heat mat as soon as they germinate rather than waiting for everything to germinate.

Tomatoes are normally started 6-8 weeks prior to plant out while peppers require 10-12 weeks.

Dave

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    10 years ago

The comments are good for you but you made a few common mistakes starting out, nothing that can't be corrected if you act soon. First, you planted too great a variety in an unseperable tray for the sake of the heat mat. Cilantro and some other very fast growing herbs may bolt before you can plant them out. Tomatoes and peppers are just too different in germination times to be "locked" together.
    I would find a heavy scissors and start dividing the cells into sections immediately. The emerged seedlings no longer need the heat mat but need lots of close light. Those cells can just be set on a sheet of newspaper under (and very close to) a shop light for a few weeks until you transplant to larger pots. In the future try to start "like" seeds together.

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have slightly larger plastic cups, and pots, and some coconut husk pots I was going to separate them out to one they had a few true leaves.

I'm getting the cilantro out of there now. I defiantly don't want to disturb the peppers. Now that I'm trying to figure out what to do with everything it is a bit of a pain. I'm moving in 1-2 weeks but really wanted to start my seedlings--eek. Good thing I'm only moving two miles away.

So its not safe to just stick something down the edges of the ells and pull out the seedlings with their dirt? That was my initial plan, anyways. Also seedlings once they've started to grow don't benefit from the heating mat?

Also to Charlieboring - Its a Hyrofarm heating mat, got it with the tray/dome for about 22 dollars. I also got a 7'' dome to put over them once they got larger and I moved them to pots/cups (plastic cups with holes in the bottom.)

bmoser teach me more ;_;

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where I am at currently with them. I bought another 72-cell tray (I have a few other pepper, eggplant, tomato varieties).

I was thinking since the toms are all already up, one they each have a set of true leaves, moving them to the new tray and planting the other toms. Without the heating mat (but the laundryroom they are in under two t8 lights is pretty warm anyways) and then planting the other peppers and egg-plant in the current tray.

Eee. Scared now.

• greenman62
    10 years ago

i got a heating mat from ebay for $14
    i think its 13 watts, no control, but i dont want to turn it down since its next to a window

most of my seedlings are dying
    i think its fungus gnats
    i dont see that many, and i lift the soil and it looks OK
    i dont think its too little or too much water
    how can you tell if its damping off ?

• courtneysgarden
    10 years ago

Well if you plan on doing any cool season gardening now is the perfect time to plant things like spinach & peas etc outside- they can be planted 4 to 6 weeks before your last frost, no need to start them indoors or in seed trays! I would plant out your cilantro as soon as you have passed your frost date, they like cool weather but i think can be damaged by freezing. Good luck with all your warm season starts too :)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

So its not safe to just stick something down the edges of the ells and pull out the seedlings with their dirt?

No.

Also seedlings once they've started to grow don't benefit from the heating mat?

No, it can be harmful. It can cook the roots and causes leggy growth that is top heavy with poor root development. Discussed in detail on the Growing from Seed forum.

I also got a 7'' dome to put over them once they got larger and I moved them to pots/cups (plastic cups with holes in the bottom.)

Domes are used for germination phase only, and not for growing on. Trapped humidity caused plants to damp-off and die.

Dave

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!