Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ballplayer10123

Reusing soil mix, newb needs help.

ballplayer10123
14 years ago

Hi all. Starting my second thread here on the garden web forums. I need some help deciding on how to amend my outdoor organic container garden fo this year.

DESCRIPTION: This is my third year gardening in kiddie pools. My mix is made up of about 70-75% peat (Sunshine Mix #4) and 20% mushroom compost/worm castings, with a small amount of added perlite. The pools are amended with 1 cup of lime per 3.8 cubic foot of mix, bone meal, 1/2 cup of greensand, and 1/2 cup Fox farm Marine Cuisine (10-7-7 + micronutrients). If my plants look like they need any additional nutrients I supplement with Advanced Nutrients Organic Iguana Juice, either Grow or Bloom forumla depending on time of year.

My Question is: This is my third year with these containers? Last year after aerating come Spring time I believe I reamended with half the original amount of Lime, Bone Meal, etc. It worked last year. However, should I be apprehensive about amending with lime again. Will my pH be out of control high? OR do those nutrients wash out of the soil (as there are plenty of drainage holes in the bottom of the kiddie pools) from the snow fall in the winter and rainfall in the spring. These containers were NOT covered during the inclement weather seasons.

I appreciate all who view this thread, and any help provided will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ballplayer10123

Comments (3)

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

I don't think anyone can really answer the lime question, it's something you will need to test for. I assume the kiddie pool is basically a raised bed as the drainage holes are probably allowing the soil in the pool to contact the earth below.

You will need calcium, but I am going to go out on a limb and guess you don't need to elevate pH further. In year 3 the peat has probably given up all the acidity it had to offer and the mix is near neutral at this point.

Really no way to know without testing the soil though.

• ballplayer10123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the advice justaguy. I will probably amend with a very small amount of lime, small amount of cow manure, mushroom compost, worm castings, compost, and marine cuisine. I'd imagine there should be a considerable amount of bacteria and fungi in the soil, so hopefully as long as the pH is relatively close it should be alright.

I picked up a Better Boy, Giant, Arkansas Traveler, Grape Tomato, and Sweet 100. 2 slicing cucumber plants. 1 Jalapeno pepper, 1 Italian pepper, and 1 Salsa pepper. 1 Squash plant/vine. Rosemary, and 2 Thai Basil (I had them last year and they smell delicious. kind of sweet black licorice), and parsley.

Funny Story. I made the mistake of purchasing strawberry plants 2 years ago( in my first year attempting a garden), not realizing how aggresively they attempt to spread themselves. I did my best to do them in last year by barely ever watering them. I accidentally overwintered them this past year, honestly. I put a white painter type tarp over 2 of my kiddie pools, 1 pool contained oregano, the other over the strawberries. I removed these tarps about a week and a half ago. Much to my surprise I had thriving oregano and strawberry plants that overwintered. The oregano has taken up more than half of the kiddie pool it resides in. The strawberry plants spread like wildfire and now occupy basically an entire kiddie pool. So may actually end up with some fresh strawberries froom the garden this year, as there are many berries on the various chutes in the pool (probably about 50 fruit right now, some very small, some relatively large.).

I use 10 kiddie pools filled with this mix, and 4 box style planters to provide homes for my outdoor garden.

Thanks for listening all. Any further input/comments are welcomed.

• rob_thompson
    14 years ago

Your soil is probably pretty void of nutrients. Add 1/4 cup of Bone Meal per square foot for Phosphorus and slow-release Nitrogen. Buy a $10 soil test kit at Lowes. Then add Lime if necessary. If not, add an extra 1/4 cup of Bone Meal per square foot for Calcium. Add another 1/2 cup of greensand per square foot for slow release potassium, iron and trace minerals. Add 1 oz per square foot of high nitrogen organic fertilizer (bloodmeal, feathermeal, well-aged manure, etc.). Then mix-in a couple tablespoons of Epsom Salts for Magnesium and Sulfur per square foot. That's what I've been doing every year for the past 10 years with my spent soil. It seems to work well for me.