Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisbud4u

asparagus---will it grow where its never cold?

thisbud4u
15 years ago

I just got my asparagus plants today, Jersey Supreme, good variety, all male. There I was, digging a trench 85 feet long for my new asparagus roots, when my neighbor came over and said that she'd heard that asparagus needs freezing winter temperatures to grow well. Thinking back, what's the asparagus capital of the world? Hadley, Massachussetts, where it gets plenty cold in the winter. I live in coastal San Diego, literally in sight of the Pacific. Never gets below 50F. So, have I just wasted my time and money, or does anybody know if asparagus will grow well here despite the lack of cold?

Comments (5)

• mauirose
    15 years ago

it will grow!

in fact, once it gets going, you can harvest the same patch twice a year! just stop watering at about the 6 month mark and wait for the stalks to die. Cut them back, fertilize and harvest the new young shoots. If you have several patches you can harvest year round!!

• javi_mari
    15 years ago

I've wondered about your same question since I started growing asparagus. One of the more important asparagus producing regions in this hemisphere is located in coastal Peru, South America, very close to the equator. That being said, that area has rather cool, Mediterrenean type climate, but it for sure, never freezes there. It might be very similar to your climate. I wonder if asparagus in such areas might be shorter lived?

• thisbud4u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, folks! Your replies are encouraging.

Mauirose, you want me to stop watering altogether? For how long? I'd be scared that the roots would shrivel up and die without water---its very dry all summerlong here in San Diego, even by the coast....ah, but maybe you're saying to cut back the water in the wintertime (or what passes for winter here). Yeah, OK, I guess that would work. (I'm thinking while I write here)....but that wouldn't be every six months but rather annually. Maybe spring and fall, then? I'm a little confused. Could (pretty please) clarify for me? Many thanks! ThisBud4U

• mauirose
    15 years ago

thisbud-

First let me say that i'm no expert but i am sharing with you what i have learned from some very experienced gardeners. i'm just putting my asparagus in this year-Purple Passion-YUM!

You should stop watering for about a month, i think the reason is to induce dormancy. The ferns will dry up and die but not the roots. Cut the ferns back, fertilize and resume watering. The dormant roots will respond by sending up new shoots.

Do not try this the first year. Your plants should be well established and thriving before you try to force a second harvest.

There is a small asparagus farm on island, they are growing at sea level so for sure they get no winter chill. Not sure if the lack of chill affects the years of productivity, haven't heard that. For me i'm more concerned about the bad effect of the acid soil i have.

Happy Harvests ; )

• thisbud4u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mauirose, thanks. I think what I'll do is let them grow each year until mid- to late- October, then cut off the water, let the plants go dormant, cut off the tops, feed them, and let the winter rains rejuvenate the plants. That should work out pretty well I think.

Acid soil you can fix, just add limestone. Be grateful, be very grateful, if you don't have gophers like we do. I dug an 85 foot trench this weekend, lined it with chickenwire, shovelled the dirt back in, shovelled in a bunch of compost, and (whew!) now I'm finally ready to plant my asparagus roots.

Nice to hear that there's an asparagus farm at sea level. I've bought Jersey Supreme, F1 Super Males, so I should get a decent yield if it's at all possible.

Many thanks for your input!