Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susie123_gw

Please help me pick out a bench for this spot.

susie123
11 years ago

These plants are Limelight Hydrangeas and they get about 8 feet tall. The bench will go in front of the plants and I want to put some flagstone down in front of it.

{{gwi:30168}}

I saw this one which is cool:

{{gwi:30169}}

or this simple one:

{{gwi:30170}}

I thought the simple one might look better with the flagstone but the other one sure is cool.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

Either will look fine. It depends on what flavor you're trying to promote. It depends on the surrounding things that we can't see in the picture. Is there a Victorian house behind us?... or a ranch? Based on the neighbor's house, I'd incline toward the simple looking bench.

• karinl
    11 years ago

I would think about actually sitting on it in the garden. I must be on a bit of a critter kick, because I can't look at the first one without thinking that it is good habitat for... name your bug/insect of choice. Or slugs?

I like fancy (several of the ones visible at the top of your second photo) or even whimsy, but I don't like cavities.

Karin L

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

I like either the simple or classical treatment - the rustic not so much.

• rosiew
    11 years ago

I know this isn't what you're asking, but I so see a couple of comfortable chairs out there, perhaps with a small table between.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

Agreed. What are you really looking to do out there? Neither of those benches looks at all comfortable to *sit* on, and as ornamental objects they aren't really in scale with the planting. A couple of Adirondack chairs, or a Japanese maple may be better choices depending on which direction you are leaning.

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

I always get a sense benches, such as those pictured, are really just another piece of "garden art". To be looked at - maybe to set down a flat of plants while digging holes; lean a spade against; to sit on briefly surveying one's little realm once the bird droppings are daubed off... but not for hunkering down with a good book and beverage of choice.

• marymd7
    11 years ago

I don't want to sit on any of those benches. Find a real wooden (or composite) garden bench with a back and a comfortable seat and arms. That looks like a great spot to sit, so give it something worth sitting on. Nobody ever sits on those little concrete benches -- and, personally, I don't think much of them as "art" either.

• susie123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'm sorry I haven't posted sooner. I had a plumbing problem that turned into five other projects. :-(

Now some of you have me thinking no bench at all for back there. I'll have to post some more pictures so you can see what the rest of the area looks like.

Thank you again!

• finchelover
    11 years ago

The first to me is just decorative and second reminds me too much of a cemetery,neither appropriate for a relaxing sitting area. I have a small metal table and chairs [not for sitting] I have it in what I call my "Secret garden"] so it matters how you want to use them. Good Luck!