Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
csj50

Should I pull a plant? (Cucumbers and eggplants)

csj50
9 years ago

I have two 10-gallon containers growing two burpless bush cucumbers and two black beauty eggplants each...as a first time gardener, I had NO idea these plants would get to the size they are. My cucumber plants are both starting to produce fruit, but I'm starting to wonder if its necessary to pull one in order for best results? (As much as that would hurt to do!). The eggplants have not produced any fruit yet, but I have a feeling they are slow anyway...

Comments (4)

• csj50
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Eggplants

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

I probably wouldn't pull them, just give them lots of food. It's your call though. You say they are 10 gallon pots, but it looks like there's quite a bit of room. Can you add more mix and fill up the pots more?

• nattydoll
    9 years ago

10 Gallon? What are the measurements on these containers? I've had confusion with sizes, and these look great to me, I'd like something similar.

The rule of thumb for lots of people seems to be 5 gallons for one of those plants, and if you have anything less, they will produce slightly smaller or less plants. BUT, if you have two per container, I think it would be enough for a first time gardener to see what happens :)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

If one is clearly stunted, cut it off at the base and leave the stronger one.

But don't pull it out be the roots because they are tangled with the other plant's roots.