Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vinny_75

Color up my Brick Chimney....Advice please..

vinny_75
16 years ago

Folks,

I would like to get some feedback from experts here regarding training a Climbing Rose (Yellow Golden Shower 12-14')

over a brick chimney..

My current chimney pic..

{{gwi:34634}}

What is the best way to train this climber? My first idea was to drill 2 Nails , 3ft apart and connect them with wire and guide the rose stems through the wire. Continue this arrangement to the shape of my interest over the chimney as the rose grows...I thought I could prune any stems that grows too far out of the wire and encourage longer stem....

I also plan on running a Clematis on top of this rose once the climber is established to about 5ft. Any suggestion on appropriate clematis for golden shower rose is also appreciated..

Please advice...

PS: I once posted this on the wrong board..sorry for multiposting..

Comments (23)

• tibs
    16 years ago

Climbintg roses don't cling to brick like ivy or climbing hydrangia. What about constructing a trellis that would be a foot out from the chimney and train the roses on that?

Ask the rose forum, too, they might have some good ideas.

• vinny_75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I understand they dont cling. But if I wrap them withe the wire arrangement and trim any other non conforming extensions, shouldnt it follow the path I provide? Trellis is good but its going to be a lot harder for me to find a 15ft trelling and keep tying the canes. Just my thought.

• mjsee
    16 years ago

Vinny--
    Were I you, I'd post this query on the rose forum...they have a wealth of knowledge. I don't think the plan you have will work...my understanding is that roses have to be tied to trellises...unless they have extremely stiff canes and wicked thorns. I don't know if Golden Showers fits that category.

But I could be wrong...hence my suggestion that you ask the more experienced rose growers over on the rose forum.

melanie

• ego45
    16 years ago

Nothing will look better on that chimney than a mature climbing hydrangea, IMO.
    {{gwi:34635}}

• nandina
    16 years ago

Vinny,
    Noted that you also posted this on the Rose Forum and so far they are not very encouraging about your idea. Nor am I. This rose is a rampant grower which becomes very heavy with yellow roses that turn a blah white as they age. There is no way that you can keep it under control and attractive within that narrow space of a single wire up the chimney face. Then there is the weekly 14' ladder climb to deadhead, prune, train, fighting thorns all the way. Suggest that you return to the Rose Forum and ask for yellow pillar rose suggestions which are a more upright self-supporting climbing form, install a trellis and call the job done.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I think as long as you have something to tie the canes to, whether a trellis (which would look nice even where it's not completely covered by the rose) or screw-eyes screwed into the mortar joints, or whatever, it should be OK. They even sell hooks with nails in them for banging into the side of a house to fasten vines to.

You will have to climb up and tie the canes as they grow, and pruning off or tucking in stragglers will be a regular job as a healthy climber can get quite large.

There are lots of nice climbing roses to choose from. Ask for suggestions on the rose forum, and check out some of the websites that sell roses. I might choose something that doesn't get too large.

I've had good luck with the Antique Rose Emporium and Chamblees. Check out Garden Watchdog for the top rated rose nurseries.

The better online rose sellers give very good information on their plants, so you'll know what to expect. Choose one that's disease resistant, or you'll be spraying for black spot. A rebloomer will give you a longer season.

The climbing hydrangea is also a nice choice, I have one, and it climbs by itself without needing any help, and will do very well in a spot that's too shady for roses.

• catkim
    16 years ago

Ego45, that is such a luscious garden view that I will forgive you for posting such an oversize photo. Are the flowering blush-colored things either side of the hydrangea roses? I think I see trellises behind them...

Folks who want to know how to plant borders, foundations, and blank slates, are you taking note? What do I know, but it looks nice to me.

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

Golden Showers is a beautiful rose, but it's a good grower, lax and arching so keeping it underneath guide wires would keep you busy and probably do more to scuff up the canes than keeping it in place. FWIW, I had one years ago that I trained on a fence with cut up pantyhose - that gives and does no damage. The climbing hydrangea is a thing of beauty and an option to consider, but I'd be tempted to rethink and maybe put up a trellis for a clematis. I'm only familiar with cl. Jackmanii, the never fail purple, but there are some gorgeous ones out there - in your zone you've got a pretty wide choice. Check with the friendly folks on the Clematis or Vines forums.

• vinny_75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Folks

Rose forum experts are quite convinced that my idea of climbing rose on a chimney is not worth the effort. Climbing Hydrangea was my first preference. Then I read postings here that they dont bloom well if they are under full sun..The area I am interested in will table about 5hrs of sun during mid day and I live in Conneticut.

Should I just switch to Climbing Hydrangea?

Thanks
    V

• marymd7
    16 years ago

Assuming the exposure is anything but full, all-day glaring sun, I'd say yes. It really is a marvelous plant. As Michael Dirr says "the best vine."

• karinl
    16 years ago

I'm not quite clear on whether you were expecting the rose to follow the wire as you had it drawn on your picture. That did not seem practical to me, as it would require obsessive tying and clipping, plus new growth would constantly obscure your pattern. To simply hold a rose against the chimney might work, but whether with or without a trellis I think the issue is holding it against the house. Even trellises do not simply stay upright without effort, especially as plants reach away from the wall for the sun and thus weigh outward. I'm not sure if nails into the chimney are such a good idea or strong enough; maybe you could put your anchors in the house wall itself (with waterproofing obviously) and run wires or a trellis across the chimney?

Thus, something like the climbing hydrangea that suctions itself to the wall sounds better. But there are some risks as far as I've read - the suction cups can damage some surfaces, and vines can creep into gaps of all sorts - I just had a clematis trying to grow across the interior of my shed.

KarinL

• vinny_75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. This board is a wealth of information and experience. I dont mean to come across as stubborn but I really want to try out my rose over the chimney. I do understand the issues such as constant pruning.

As you explained, trellis is not going to hold up over time. How about planting two solid posts 5ft apart, and then run wires between them, and then letting rose grow between the posts? If there is a way to pin the tall stem to the wall, that will be good too..Will a 4" drill on a brick chimney pose that big of a structural damage?

Thanks
    V

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I haven't used the product linked below, but have used a version that uses a masonry nail, which is knurled to prevent cracking when you hammer it in. I don't know that I'd trust an adhesive to hold up a heavy rose.

I would not drill 4 inches into a chimney. If you want to fasten something to masonry, use screws and shields in the mortar joints, or other fasteners intended for use in masonry.

If you want the vines to be flat against the chimney, I think maintenance will be a pain. If you just want to hold the thing up there, I think it's doable. Just be prepared to go up there frequently to fasten new growth.

There are lots of vines you can consider instead of roses, but if you have your heart set on it, go for it. The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work out and you have to move it.

You can make your own trellis out of 1x2 lumber and paint it to blend with the chimney color or house trim. You can also fasten some inexpensive metal trellis to the chimney. Most of it will be covered in a couple of years anyway, assuming your rose is happy in that location. A trellis will give you more points to fasten the canes to as they grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: vine supports

• lynnt
    16 years ago

A friend has supported large climbers successfully by making an enormous E shape out of heavy iron pipe (the three short legs of the E being about 10 feet long) then setting the three points in concrete about 2 feet out from his house wall. He then drilled the now-vertical pipes and threaded plastic-coated cabling across to add more horizontal support. This has worked beautifully, takes the weight and ain't going nowhere! Perhaps a large U of this type would work for you?

LynnT

• karinl
    16 years ago

If you want to drill into the chimney I am sure there are sources of info more reliable than a landscaping forum, so be sure to check with someone - masonry suppliers and similar locally should be able to tell you how this is best done, or do a little googling around the internet. Or surely there are books on the subject; maybe some books on growing climbers would address this. I am not sure you need to go in four inches, and I wonder whether you should be drilling on the face of the chimney or on the sides of it - seems to me the sides would provide better holding dynamics. You don't want to demand too much of the corner brick, but perhaps a brick right in the side, one that is mortared in all around.

The wires do not have to run in the shape you want the rose to grow in. They need to be positioned and secure so that you can attach the rose in that shape. I wold just run sequential lengths across the chimney (attached at the sides, again), each attached separately, so that if one gives out, the others might hold. Not that you want to ask too much of the corner brick, but maybe the second or third one in.

The product linked below also looks pretty good for the holding system.

Another one from the same supplier but a little flimsier (no drilling required) is here:
    http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=47472&cat=2,33286&ap=1

Here is a link that might be useful: Trellis kit

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I would probably try to find something along the lines of the trellis on the website linked. If you can find one wide enough, and maybe even use two to get the height you need, fastened securely to the chimney with the correct fasteners, you can grow anything you want on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: trellis

• karinl
    16 years ago

That option comes at many prices...

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith and Hawken

• inkognito
    16 years ago

Here he is: the boring design guy. Why do you want to grow a rose up that brick chimney?

• miss_rumphius_rules
    16 years ago

There's a great product for vines on mortar. We use them for roses. It's a masonry nail with a lead flange that will allow you to train a climber. I've only found them from one place in the U.S. and you can't use them in California--lead I guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nails

• karinl
    16 years ago

Ink: Because it's there?

Escellent question.

Are there other places on the property where a climber would look better/offer needed shade/provide visual interest yada yada and be easier to install?

Or should I be going one further - is a climbing plant a needed feature in this landscape?

KarinL

• inkognito
    16 years ago

I am guessing that the rose is meant to disguise a not very attractive chimney and indeed a not very attractive area. If you compare the two chimneys on offer here you can see two completely different situations. The second chimney and the garden with the Hydrangea rising from it is all of a piece the different element enhance one another. The first chimney and the idea to grow a rose up it would have none of this and in all probability would draw attention rather than disguise. As I said I am guessing but if I am right this is a classic example of a necklace on a 800lb gorilla. I would estimate that the height of the broadest part of the chimney is 14 feet, many shrub roses would grow to 7 feet and a bed of these that also hid the heat exchanger would round out that area. Perhaps a climbing Hydrangea behind that and clinging to the brick would make sense.

• vinny_75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Folks

Thanks for all the excellent points...I slept on this idea over the weekend and decided against Roses for that area. Will attempt climbing Hydrangea instead.

Thanks again everyone.
    V