Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reluctantartist

suggestions for fence cover to replace aggressive vine?

ra_ca
14 years ago

Hi all,

I recently became exasperated by the grape vine (Vitus californica "Walker Ridge") at the back of my planter box, which had gone wild and taken over everything in sight. It was crowding out and entwining itself with everything else in the box, plus aggressively extending its range into both adjoining neighbors' yards. So, I went on a trimming spree with my shears, and when I was done, there was not much of the vine left.

Now I am wondering whether to allow it to grow back, or whether to replace it with something less aggressive and intrusive. Is there such a thing as a "well-behaved" fence cover that will spread on a wire trellis but not extend much beyond the trellis? Or can anybody suggest an "out-of-the-box" (so to speak) solution for what else to do with the fence behind the planter box?

It was indeed nice having a verdant foliage cover for the fence, so it would be nice to replace the vine with something, rather than having the bare fence show through.

For reference, the other elements of the planter box are:

- two Phormium Jester plants (just planted - my new pride and joy!)

- two Berberis thunbergii 'Crimson Pygmy' plants

- crepe myrtle tree at the center

I have posted pictures of the planter box so you can see the situation. The first two photos are from BEFORE I trimmed back the vines... the last three photos are after I got through hacking it in a rage ;-)

Thank you so much for any advice!
{{gwi:36865}}From Planter Box, before and after trimming vines June 2009
{{gwi:36866}}From Planter Box, before and after trimming vines June 2009
{{gwi:36867}}From Planter Box, before and after trimming vines June 2009
{{gwi:36868}}From Planter Box, before and after trimming vines June 2009
{{gwi:36869}}From Planter Box, before and after trimming vines June 2009

Comments (5)

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How about a clematis? They are beautiful, and can be trimmed back. A rose will also grow on a trellis, and again, you can trim them back to the size you want. You may want to try a beautiful David Austin variety, as a lot of them 'nod'. Most other vines I can think of right now will easily overgrow the space. The other option you have is to put another shrub or perennial in its place - like an angel's trumpet or tea tree.

• janetgia
    14 years ago

I was also going to suggest Clematis - some of the blooms are very showy, and some varieties do very well in shade. Or how about the Moonflower vine variety, or annual nasturtium trailing variety?

• ra_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi holleygarden and janetgia,
    thank you both for your valued suggestions. We will investigate and consider all of the ideas you provided.
    Thanks again!
    Best wishes from California,
    "ReluctantArtist"

• bahia
    14 years ago

I'd suggest a slower growing evergreen foliaged vine such as Star Jasmine/Trachelospermum jasminoides as a good substitute for the grape, but it will still need pruning to keep it under control, just not as much as the Grape. You can also buy these already trained as an espalier, which saves time if you want the fence completely covered. Most Clematis are going to need more training if you don't want them everywhere, and most aren't evergreen. Another fairly easy to control evergreen vine for California conditions would be Bgnonia capreolata 'Tangerine Beauty'. Both of these vines can be kept under control with just occasional pruning, have colorful flowers and/or scented flowers, and are not as aggressively growing as the Vitis you already have. Both would also do well with the dappled sun/shade this area seems to get.

You might also consider that the shrubs/phormiums you have planted in the raised box are still quite young, and given time, will effectively screen the fence without any additional vines. Both of these shrubs will easily grow as tall as the top of the fence if given regular irrigation and fertilizer.

If you still want to plant a vine at this area, I'd suggest using cut sections of remesh(the 4 inch gridded wire used as concrete flatwork reinforcing) for the vines to attach to, it gives more area for the vines to attach/twine to, and is easier to install. Using a fast growing, yet annual vine such as Thunbergeria alata/gregorii or Mina lobata might also work well for you. If I were to add vines in your situation, I would be more inclined to plant them at the outside of the raised planters, against the fence sections with the Berberis shrubs, and leave the area behind the planter to be covered by the screening of the plants in the raised planter.

• ra_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi bahia,
    thank you so much for the thoughtful and detailed response. We will carefully consider your suggestions. I can see that you have tailored your suggestions to our shared Bay Area climate, which is very helpful!

My new phormiums are indeed growing nicely, and if they get to be several feet high, maybe we won't need a fence cover after all, as you say. But I have read that Phormium "Jester" is a bit smaller than some other Phormium varieties, so I'm waiting to see how big they will get. I'm certainly hopeful that they will flourish and grow nice and large!

Thanks again :-)

Best wishes,
    RA