Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cienfuegos_gw

Help me plan my sweet potato box.

cienfuegos
13 years ago

okay after struggling through two dead batches of rotten sweet potatoes I have managed to get third batch to give me 25 viable slips with roots and at least fifteen more available in a week or so.

I am doing a large square foot garden but read that Mel's Mix may not be the best for sweet potatoes. So I went out and bout a sandy/loamy/soily/compost mix of soil with only 30-40% compost in it. What I failed to realize was that there were many pea size to dime size pebbles in the this mix. Will this distort my sweet potatoes? will it force them to be stringy? Or will it not affect them at all?

The box is 4X6ft and it is 18 inches high. It is a total of 24 plantable squares and I initially thought that I should do 1 slip per square. Is this insane? Will the roots severely over crowd themselves?

I then thought that I could maybe get away with planting an extra slip where four squares meet, giving me an additional 15 slips to plant but the spacing between the slips would then be about 9-10 inches instead of a foot. So I would have a toal of 39 slips in a 4X6 box. Is this even more insane?

I love sweet potatoes and want to maximize the amount I can get out of this box. I am building trellises to manage the leaf growth and will crop the leaves every eight to ten weeks, as I read a study that showed that any more cropping than that will affect potato growth. The trellises will also help keep the vines from trying to root on the ground.

I would appreciate any feedback you may have good or bad. If you have experience with sweet potatoes what would you do with a 4X6X1.5 box?

Comments (5)

• ribsyhuggins
    13 years ago

where did read Mels mix is not good for sweet potatoes.
    sweet potatoes should be planted 18 inches apart.

I would comment more but since you have not cited your sources. I can not check the underlying support of the sources.

• cienfuegos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

http://lrrd.org/lrrd19/3/olor19036.htm
    here is the study regarding cutting leaves too often and the effects on root development.

As for MMs mix, my concern(from many posts and peoples past experiences)is that overly nutritious soil will grow long stringy roots and produce too much foliage(haven't found studies on this). Many people state that the closer to sandy loam and poor soil quality tends to grow larger sized sweet potato. by many people i would say a consensus on the internet. Another issue is that MM maintains moisture very well and too much moisture also affects sweet potato growth and may even cause rot.

I have plenty of homemade compost to add to the box if necessary. My other MM plants are doing amazing. My garden is only 1 and a half months old and I am picking radishes, peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes are ripening on the vines.

I am in Houston TX where it usually rains a ton. This year however it hasn't rained since february or so.

hope this info helps. thanks for your interest and help.

• lucillle
    13 years ago

I'm in the Houston area also and planted Vardeman so I wouldn't have to trim back. Planted many of them 12" apart. Am just planting the slips in various areas of the garden, no box.

• cienfuegos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi lucille,

I know i want to vardemans next year. keep this post alive with pictures if at all possible. I didn't realize that i should have done vardeman until I finally succeeded at growing my own slips. I'd love to see how your garden progresses.

did you grow your slips(if so how did you find the potato) or order them? what kind of soil, plain old houston dirt, amended, or compost amended? I'll post the pics once my slips are in this week of the store bought sweet potatoes.

• lucillle
    13 years ago

I found a small family owned sweet tater business (they are still mailing out btw) The sips arrived very fresh and they sent extras. This is the first year I ordered Vardemans, what with grocery prices rising I'm trying to make the most of my space and I'm already growing vining melons and they are space grabbers.
    I've had my current garden for nearly 30 years, I started out with bought soil but now that I'm older I just amend with leaves and stuff in the fall. It is raised a bit. The sweet taters are just planted here and there, and not near any of the roses,perennials, grapevines or trees, places I wouldn't want to dig.

Here is a link that might be useful: George's sweet taters