Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blujen_gw

please help me redesign flowerbed by driveway

I have a bed next to my house, on the east side, that is in dire need of some help. I've grown tulips and daffodils there in the past, as well as some Sunflowers, but right now its been dug bare except for one miniature rose (Chipper) The problem is that 1/3 of the way down the bed is my a/c unit, so i'm worried that whatever i plant will be dryed out by the heat from the a/c. The bed is about 42" deep, by 12' on the south of the a/c, and about 24' on the north of the a/c. It is on the east side of the house, between the wall and a sidewalk, and the driveway pulls up next tho the house (a gravel drive) such that one would park facing this bed.

I currently have lavender bearded iris, King Alfred daffodils, and mixed tulips (mostly magenta) as well as orange tigerlily bulbs, that i would like to use in this area, and I have a Good 'n Plenty Shrub rose coming next month that i would like to plant here as well.. I have an idea for the layout i'd like to try on the larger area, but still no ideas for the 12' section.

I'm also concerned that the flowers i want to plant together may have different watering requirements - i know that the bulbs generally dont want much watering, and the shrub roses say that they dont require a lot of water, but will enough water for the shrubs be too much for the bulbs?

[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/blujen/gardenlayout.jpg[/IMG]

1 Lavender Iris, with King Alfred Daffodils & Mixed Tulips (mainly magenta)

2 Chipper Miniature Rose

3 Shrub Roses (one will be Good'n Plenty)

4 Ornamental Peppers (probably Chilly Chilly or NuMex Twilight, or some mix thereof)

What do you think of the general idea? What other two shrubs should i plant? I've looked at double knockout, but cant decide if i want two of the same shrub with the gnp or 3 different shrubs. Please help me!