Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
figfan_hungary

persimmon exchange

figfan_hungary
11 years ago

Hi All,

I have plenty of Asian persimmon (Diospyros kaki) scionwood cuttings and fig cuttings for exchange.

I OFFER the following varieties:

rojo brillante
tipo
hana fuyu
giant fuyu
o gosho
sharon (triumph)
mela
hiratanenashi
mandarino
costata
hachiya
koshu hyakume
agakaki
mercatelli
2 unknown from (the ex-soviet country) Georgia, one of them is PCNA (never-astringent) and has male flowers.

I can offer many fig cultivars, you can read the list here:
http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/exchange-cuttings-europe-%28Ihave-50-varieties%29-6083536

Or read my previous posts here in Gardenweb in "fig fever in Europe" thread.

I'd like to have the following persimmon varieties or any other with interesting qualities (I have D. lotus and D. kaki rootstocks for grafting):

cal fuyu or fuyu (I found unsure informations whether they are the same or different or they are the same as hana fuyu which I have it already)
gosho
fujiwara gosho
fukuro gosho
hana gosho
haze gosho
ichigikei jiro (known as ichikikei, ichikei and other transsriptions and misspellings)
izu
jiro
jiro C.24276
koda gosho
kuro gaki (this one for one of my friends especially)
maekawa jiro
mukaku jiro
mikatani gosho
oku gosho
suruga
wase fuyu
Tamopan
tenjin gosho
yamato gosho
-any other with their name containing the words "fuyu", "gosho", or "jiro" because all these are PCNA cultivars and I want to collect a complete assortment from these.
-any other persimmon astringent or not, Asian or American but with good properties or you suggest it.

Comments (7)

• figfan_hungary
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nobody is interested?

• Tony
    11 years ago

figfan,

I think you need to activate your Gardenweb email from your mypage profile. People will contact you if they are interest in exchange scionwood. That is the best way.

Tony

• figfan_hungary
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Tony, done it (I hope so).

• strudeldog_gw
    11 years ago

FigFan,
    I am sure there are folks interested, I think I have about 20 cultivars, although many are very young, and would be interested but like a lot of folks know it is illegal to bring the material into the U.S. without the proper permits. I know you have heard that before recently on figs and pomegranates as well. I am not the plant police, and folks may choose to. I am not sure about the importation into Hungary, and I am sure you will probably find someone that will risk bringing in the material into the U.S. but I know from the answers you have already received on other posts you should understand the limited replies.

• figfan_hungary
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Strudeldog,
    I'm not only looking for exchange partners from the US. In Europe we speak many different languages, we don't have a common international forum for plants. I intended to write here for the whole Planet. People read this forum from all over the World. I've found exchange partners from this kind of US-based forums even from the neighboring Romania.

And I can tell you that previously I had problem with only one letter from the many. Never arrived. I've made exchange of fig cuttings with several countries. Where it's illegal it means that customs can confiscate and destroy the material. But I've never heard about a prison sentence and I think never happened an electrocution for that. ;)

I feel some hypocrisy with people who condemn and refuse exchange of plant material of intercontinental relations but gladly accept the material from a pal of his/her own country who had risked it previously. That material can still contain a pest or disease...

• strudeldog_gw
    11 years ago

FigFan,

Ok I was probably being small minded in focusing on the U.S. regulations, so if your intent was only to trade material with non-U.S. members of countries with less restrictive importation you are correct there would be nothing wrong there. I would add the members on F4F you recently were specifically requested to contact you regarding Pomegranates and listing what you offer up were U.S. members, so basically you stating I will disregard your importation regulations. Just because all except one of your international transactions has arrived successfully does not make it right in the locations where it is illegal. While the regulations may seem unreasonable at times, to ignore them only shows self-centered arrogance. We have a long list of examples of the pest/disease importation with negative results. I really think global trade has come to a point that any pest that can survive in the environment will eventually find its way there and any efforts of regulations to control the spread are limited in success. As far as hypocrisy in accepting material you know was brought in illegally I agree. I am sure I have things that did not go through proper importation, but regulations were not always what there are today, cuttings, seeds have been traveling around as long as people have and I certainly would not want to enjoy only those fruits native to where I reside. I don't plan to post again on this topic here. I have stated an opinion, but really don't want to get in an extended debate. People are going to continue to ignore regulations that are not effectively enforced.

• figfan_hungary
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You stated that you don't plan to post on this topic. So I can't carry on an argument with you. But I still do it, despite you've taken away the possibility. I just made a post in the pomegranate topic, by the way that thread was opened by my compatriot friend. I can't check all members country of residence and their customs regulations, they have own decisions, knowledge and a mouth to utilize or refuse the offer with it.
    We are grown ups with own decisions. Your posts about this are useless. You say that you are not the plant police but you behave like a self-appointed vigilante. Additionally you blame me with that I intentionally disregard import regulations and with "self-centered arrogance". Yes, I said hypocrisy, that's true and I uphold this general opinion, but I cannot assume these accusations as a friendly approach. I never made a statment and never encouraged anybody to disregard any law. I just told the possible consequences without dramatisation and with a sense of humor. We also have a long history of pest/disease importation and I agree with your sentence about global trade. We have to cope with them. By the way a lot of pests/diseases were transported from the American continent to Europe. The reason is that we have so many useful plants from America and their diseases arrived later. There are fewer plants in America with European origin: the last ice-age killed much of biodiversity here, plants were not able to migrate southwards because of the Mediterranean sea and the Sahara desert.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting