Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auron22

Rescue plants ID

auron22
10 years ago

At my mothers workplace, she noticed someone threw away some arrangement, only two plants are within it. I feel like i've seen the larger one a bunch of times....except more like 5' tall. Plant #2 i've got no idea, at first i thought it was sick, but now i'm thinking it's supposed to be spotted?

Here is plant #1, they are a grouping of the same plant together, two are the largest, one of which is definitely dead, the other is bent and not sure if it can be helped. After seperating the little ones look like they can make it.
{{gwi:69641}}

the stalks and roots
{{gwi:69642}}

No idea what this is...but looks like it will pull through.
{{gwi:69644}}

The base and roots
{{gwi:69645}}

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

The larger one looks like a Kentia palm (Howea forsteriana). Not sure on the little one as all houseplants which come into my less than tender care end up sadly murdered by neglect - yay, even an aspiditra.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

The 2nd one is Dracaena surculosa. The top is definitely a palm, maybe Chamaedorea. Were they out in the cold?

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol, Thanks camp :) Very swift response.

Not too excited it's a palm...although i figured it would be. I'll just keep the little ones and see if i can keep pests off it.

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, didn't see you purple. You two were too fast for me.

Oooo a dracaena, after google images i'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks you two :) Now i just need to get some media and pots, hopefully i can get them to recover.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

"Oooo a dracaena"

LOL it IS a good feeling,isn't it?! :)

• Will07
    10 years ago

Definitely neanthe Bella Palm and dracaena godseffiana

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I agree on the Dracaena surculosa (Dracaena godseffiana is a synonym). There are a number of different varieties of the species.

But the palm is a Chamaedorea seifrizii. Chamaedorea elegans (Neanthe Bella) is a single trunked palm unlike the one in the photo.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Yo Tropic,..

In your experience would you say that the singular trunk varieties are easier to care for than the bushy ones?

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Asleep,
    Yes, I'm really excited having a dracaena for the first time...and I didn't even have to buy it! :)

While repotting, I noticed the mystery palm is actually a group planting of 5 individual plants. Tossed the 2 largest ones (one was dead, other bent), and potted the remaining together but farther apart.

Thanks everyone for the input, one is definitive, and the other is at least some common indoor palm. I have enough to get me on the right track to nurture them. I lack resources at the moment, so repotted them both in MG cactus/palm/citrus soil. Hopefully it won't hinder them too badly until spring, when I change all my plants.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Asleep, both those Chamaedoreas are easy to grow/care for. The C. seifrizii grows taller than the C. elegens. It's fairly likely to flop all over the place, especially in lower light. The C. elegens is more upright so would tend to look more "tidy".

Multiple plantings of C. elegens are very common, and it's not unusual for some of the crowded plants to die off leaving fewer in the pot.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Good info,thanks! :)