Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
little_lost_gardener

Pics of my first garden ever

Well, here it is. Just playing the field right now and will get into a serious garden next season. Just seeing what works, what doesn't etc. Its very small haha.

{{gwi:90782}}
{{gwi:90783}}
{{gwi:90784}}
{{gwi:90785}}
{{gwi:90786}}

Comments (9)

• gamebird
    16 years ago

Yay you!

Cover up the root ball on that basil, right away! Get some of your dirt and bring it over the top of the potting soil in a thin layer, maybe 1/2 inch. You especially want to cover it over the sides, up to the top of the potting soil as it came out of the pot.

Also, I can see a pot lip around that squash (?) in the middle. If that's in a peat pot, then you need to trim the peat pot lower, possibly even remove it. If it's in a plastic pot, you need to pull it out and remove the plastic pot, then replant the squash (?) in the same place. Then water.

I like the bricks. Those are nice!

• alexjh
    16 years ago

Looks good! I'm sure you'll keep expanding as the years go by. I started with two containers of herbs, now I'm up to 48sqft of garden, plus a bunch of containers on the deck.

This fall, I'm going to double my garden space. :)

• greenthumbintraining
    16 years ago

Aww, it looks good! Im also growing my first garden this year, but it keeps growing and growing, I just keep pulling grass, till, and plant, haha.

keep it up! Good luck!

• reba_grows
    16 years ago

Make sure and follow gamebird's advice.....

My first garden was just one tomato plant over 40 years ago. Even after all the gardens that followed (and the thousands of plants), it will always be my favorite, just because it was my very first one.

Enjoy it and congratulations!

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

I think it is just beautiful...keep at it...

• carol_71
    16 years ago

It's very nice. Success!

• little_lost_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll cover up the potting line on the basil and the cantaloupe. The cantaloupe plant in the center is sitting in a peat pot that I ripped apart but didnt pull off due to the roots being attatched.

Thanks for the comments! :)

• sarahlynnwhite
    16 years ago

looks great! very cute! i hope you are planning on trellising that cantaloup you have a nice fence behind it. you will spend so much time training it, every day i go out and there are more new vines growing off the main needing tied up. in the end it looks beautiful though. it seems you have all the important features of a garden... basil, tomatoes, peppers. those are three i will never live without and i don't know what i did before i grew them. add some parsley and you'll be in there!! keep up the good work. sarah

• blanesgarden
    16 years ago

Hello and welcome aboard, with all these crazy people your about to meet! I know, cause Im one of them....
    But seriously, Basil is one of my favorite herbs, I grow it here in the Jackson MS area from march until it gets too cold...about mid-November. By the look of your basil, start pickin some of those outer leaves and let em dry out in the kitchen window. That way youll encourage new growth, and the plant will think its time to start multiplying. And pinch off the white flowers later on.
    Well keep on growin....and Good Gardenen to Ya!!!