Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zabby17

How Do You Support Your Cukes?

zabby17
15 years ago

It's been a few years since I posted here---mostly I grow tomatoes and herbs, with just a couple of other veggies from time to time. This year I have a few more non-tomato items than usual, including some heirloom Lemon Cucumbers. I haven't had much luck with cucumbers over the years, so this year I threw into the ground all the seeds left in my pack of Lemon Cukes---about 16---hoping to get a few plants that flourished. Of course, suddenly this year they all germinated and are going gangbusters. After some hardhearted thinning, I still have about 8 healthy plants, two each in four hills, and am wondering what people have found to be a good support method? Usually I've got only one or two stunted plants barely a foot high, but these are already a foot and going strong; my understanding is a lemon cuke is a pretty long vine, maybe 4 feet or so.

Any suggestions? My tomatoes are tied as they grow to tall bamboo stakes using jute twine; would this work for cukes? The vines seem a lot more delicate and kind of limp than the tomato ones.

I have some tomato cages I'm not using---how about those? Right now the cukes are just one or two thin vines each, but if they fill out some then the cages would do it.

I just don't have a very good mental picture of the growth habit these will have when they are mature; I've never had one get that far!

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks so much!

Zabby

Comments (14)

• momamamo
    15 years ago

I use old tomato cages. I attach the vines to the cages with bits of old pantyhose. This works great. Maureen

• guitar7100
    15 years ago

Hi zabby I just put up two pieces of cow panel to make like an upside down v it seems to be working very well. Good luck to you and happy gardening

Karl

{{gwi:93510}}

Here is a link that might be useful: none

• anney
    15 years ago

If the vines grow only four feet in length, the tomato cages ought to be okay. The tendrils will cling to the wires.

Your bamboo poles will work, too, if you make teepees over the hills.

The thread below also has some suggestions for cuke trellises with pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cucumber Trellises

• peel
    15 years ago

In the linked thread there is a picture of cukes on straight T posts. Would those need to be tied at intervals or do they hang on after you train them to climb in the beginning?

• centralnc
    15 years ago

I just use those cheap 1.25 plastic gardening poles, stick a bunch in the ground around the plants, and the plants do all the work.

• fostina1
    15 years ago

i got most of these sticks from the woods. but the small green ones came from walmart for about $2.50 for a couple dozen. this pic is a couple weeks old. i already have cukes grown all the way to the top.

{{gwi:93511}}

• zabby17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions and photos!

I especially love fostinal's rustic teepee, though my cukes are in a row so I will probably end up with something more like Karl's leaning fence panels.

anney, thanks especially for that link to the old thread; I went back a ways looking for this topic but obviously not far enough. Some beautiful & fun & ingenious ideas out there.

More research suggests that the lemon cuke vines could actually go as far as 7 feet, and with the wet weather we're having so far I believe it, so I think I will not count on the tomato cages and rig up a trellis of some kind.

Thanks again, all!

Farmer Zabby

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Zabby, I also use the upsidedown V approach suggested by Guitar but instead of cow panels I use concrete remesh. I have an extra 12 foot piece of remesh. If I have 3 V's side-by-side I and add this piece as a canopy above the V's for additional climbing space.

{{gwi:29763}}

• cateyanne
    15 years ago

This is the first year I have trellised my cukes, in an effort to gain more garden space. We had some small diameter stakes which we cut to 7'. We bought a roll of 2" chicken wire and stapled approx. 5' lengths, having the stakes 2' widths apart. It went together really quick and after pounding them into the garden about 2' deep, we were done. they look really nice and the cucumbers took to them just great! I'm gonna love harvesting from these, I can see my cukes so much better and they aren't lying on the soil, to rot and get bugs!

• Annie
    15 years ago

Great ideas and pictures everyone!
    Vegetable gardens are just the prettiest things, aren't they? And gardening in the air is a space saver and necessity for intensive gardening. My little plot of dirt is so small I need all the aerial gardening I can get!

Anney, thanks for the website ideas. I've grown other crops under and with my cucumbers with great success. Salads, beets, beans, onions, carrots, even strawberries have done very well under a canopy of cucumbers. I planted Moon Flowers on one side too. So pretty and fragrant at night and attracts more pollinators, too.

I love the inverted "V" trellises Grandad and Karl. Very sturdy, practical, and functional for heavy cucumbers and vines, especially the kind that grow 20+ ft. long vines! Very neat and tidy too.

fostina, I like your rustic teepee. I made a teepee for my Lemon Cukes out of cane poles and string, but I like yours better. However, I may have to change it out for a metal support as Lemon Cucumbers grow to be monster vines and the yellow balls of fruit are heavy. Last year my Lemon Cucumber vines grew up the fence and then on up into the tip-tops of the plum tree and when it ran out of tree, it hung down like Spanish Moss. Those vines had to have been well over 30 feet long and covered with lemon cucumbers! Nope, I don't think my little teepee will be adequate support for such a cuke as that.

Thanks for the images and ideas.

~ sweetannie4u

• tomncath
    15 years ago

I use two eight-foot T-post and a section of .

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Sorry,

Forgot to include the picture....

{{gwi:13250}}

• zabby17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

granddad, wow, that is one SERIOUS cucumber trellis! Gorgeous.

sweetannie, holey moley, 20+ feet??? I read 7+ feet and was already starting to worry. Nope, I don't think the tomato cages are going to do it!!!

Zabby

• Annie
    15 years ago

Here are two pics of the Lemon cucumbers on the fence and growing up into the tree. Sorry it doesn't show the top of it. Darn! I thought I took a picture of it.

1. You can see the vines in the background and a few of the cukes.
    {{gwi:93512}}

{{gwi:93513}}

Hope you can see them back there behind the blue flowering Chicory plant and Genovese Basil. SOme morning glories grew in with the cukes too.
    It blocked the back gate exit on the north. Was a monster!

Never had it get so big before. Good old chicken poop.

Annie