Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hornetwife_gw

Lopsided Ficus

hornetwife
16 years ago

Hi again all,

Thought I would try my luck with a Ficus question. I have a large Ficus that is growing toward a window. The side by the window is more lush and the side away from the window is stragley and thin. If I rotate it, won't the thicker side just lose all of it's leaves and am I back to square one? How does one keep a Ficus growing evenly? More light maybe? Should I just prune back the side not growing?

Thanks for any tips.

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:80916}}

Comments (5)

• kioni
    16 years ago

I'm not sure on how to correct your ficus, but I know with mine I rotate him 1/4 turn once a week or ten days, he grows slow through the winter, and once summer kicks in I might turn him more often. The leaves that get turned away from the window won't drop off (mine don't), it's just overall the whole tree will grow slower, compared to if you didn't turn, the side to the light would grow stronger than the part away from the light.

Even with turning, my ficus has one strong branch that I have to periodically prune back, in an attempt to keep the whole tree looking balanced.

You would have to prune yours slowly over time (spring and summer best for encouraging new growth?) to try to encourage the weaker side to pick up, and of course have it facing the window more often.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Hi Lori..The trick is rotate 1/4 turn once a wk..this way, even with finiky Ficus, leaves shouldn't drop and all sides of the tree get an even amount of light.
    Hmm, prune one side??? Do you think? I can't picture what your tree would look like with one side full and the other cut..(S). What are you going to do?
    You know, if it was my Ficus, I'd wait..spring will soon be here, and new leaves will sprout.
    Lori, do you fertilize plants? As soon as it's time, I'd go with a fertilizer high in Nitrogen, though don't overuse..Follow instructions, actually it's best using half the recommended dossage..
    If you can find something like 30-10-10 or similar..First number higher..Also, I'd use Epsom Salts..I've tried ES's on my hibs recently so it's too soon for results, but ppl I talk to who use it regularly, swear it's great..I believe them..
    I think with summer, fertilizer and ES's, you'll have a lovely tree..It's got a lot of potential, Lori, be patient, Toni
    PS. If you use Superthrive, add 10 drops per gallon of water..Works great..

• greattigerdane
    16 years ago

Definitely turn it, either part way, or completely to the bare side, and no, the side with more leaves will not be effected. Just make sure it's turned every week, or the side that's thin will become completely bald!
    It might take a little while, but it will fill in. Any branches that don't fill in might be dried up and dead and you'll need to cut them off, or cut them back to where there are leaves.
    In the spring when you see new growth, you can prune it all back some to keep it more full looking, especially that really long branch going up towards the top of the curtain.

Billy Rae

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So I should start the rotation now rather than wait till spring?
    Billy Rae, I know what you mean about that one rogue branch shooting up. I know it looks silly, but I let it go just to see what it would do. Can I root the clipping if I prune it?
    Thanks for the help, everyone.

• greattigerdane
    16 years ago

Hornet,

Yes, you should start rotating it now every week. As far as that tall branch, I have never rooted anything that thick and woody, but had success rooting the thinner more pliable "green" stems with leaves attached in a 2"-3" pot. You might be more successful rooting stems like that rather than the woody branches, although that's not to say it can't be done.

Billy Rae