Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

another bug to the long list this year: tomato hornworms

novice_2009
13 years ago

Just when I thought there wasn't one bug that hadn't invaded my gardens this year.....

Tomato hornworms- orange "horn." These guys get so big it's crazy. Why aren't the birds eating them?

I'm a hand picker, but because of that horny thing, even I was a little hesitant, wondering if it was safe.

Not too bad on toms, mostly just two plants out of seven.

Interesting: no evidence of parasatizing on them, and they haven't come near cherry toms.

I saw from other posts on here that you guys are familiar with them. I think two ate a half a tom plant in two days.

Wow. Even though they are really the least of my pest concerns....

My question is.....

What's the life cycle? I know the moth lays the egg (just try finding those amongst all tom foilage-much easier to see fruitworm eggs).

So, other than picking adults and putting them in pail, how do I get rid of these guys?

Will they overwinter in my warm southern climate -more like zone 8 now.

When toms are removed, do I need to till up the soil?

Will they come back next year?

Any info on this appreciated!!!!!!

Comments (8)

• ashley9597
    13 years ago

This is my first year growing tomatoes but here is what I have learned from the forum...you can hand pick off the large adults if you are brave and either drown them in a bucket of soapy water or remove them to a different location well away from your plants. Yeah, not me. I cut them in half with my clippers. I am terrified of bugs and refuse to touch them. That is what my husband is for. I would be cautious to think that they are the least of your pest concerns. A full sized bad boy can take out an entire tomato plant overnight. They eat a lot FAST and they reproduce almost as bad as bunnies. I spray a BT (bacillus thuringiensis) solution every 7 to 10 days. It is very safe for you and your plants and has been working wonders. I would suggest using some sort of spray if you do not have a good supply of parasatizing wasps (like me). As for the life cycle, I do not know exacts. I would try googling that if you can't find the answer here.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Yes they do come back every year. No they don't overwinter. These are actually tobacco hornworms. Tomato hornworms have a black horn. Don't be afraid of the horn. They do not hurt unless you step on one barefooted. BT works but I don't get enough to worry about that.

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

As ashley stated they can devastate your plants quickly so you should be very concerned about getting a handle on them. BT is a good suggestion, and don't be worried about picking them off and throwing them in a bucket of soapy water, they won't hurt you despite their looks.

A few years ago I was looking out the window at the tomatoes in the garden when I saw a roadrunner furiously pecking at the plants. At first I thought that he/she was eating the tomatoes themselves until I saw a big green worm in his/her beak. All I could do was to smile and thank him/her.

Greg
    Nevada

• bluebirdie
    13 years ago

I've been growing tomato for around two decades in the Bay Area and has never seen tomato hornworm before this year.

Last week I hand picked five larvaes two inches long. Of my six varieties of tomato, they only favor BrandyWine (the only kind grew from store bought seedlings). All other tomato I planted from seeds a foot away are not bothered. Since I don't use any pesticide, I wasn't sure what to do. So I placed small dishes of water on the trellis hoping to attract bird better.

Like Ashley said, they have big appetite. Now I check for their droppings every day and haven't found any worm this week. I'm sure this is not the end of the battle. Hopefully someone else knows of a way to control these things.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

People, you have to look for the single, round pearly eggs laid usually on the lower but sometimes the upper surfaces of the leaves! Also, look for the teensy little caterpillars that hatch from those little eggs. You're waiting way too long to get rid of these pests.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

• amlinde78
    13 years ago

Another organic method of control (besides BT which is excellent) is to plant Borage, a herb, next to your tomatoes. It is a beautiful herb and it repels tomato worm. The leaves can be picked for soups, salads, curries fish, chicken and yogurt. They have a taste similar to cucumber. Bees also love Borage for the nectar so it has multiple benefits. Anyway, just another idea.

If you do plant be careful since it self seeds easily. You could have a garden full of Borage if you do not collect or discard the seeds. Also do not till in the flower heads or you will have a bunch of unwanted borage next season.

• ashley9597
    13 years ago

Thanks amlinde! I have never heard of borage. I just looked it up and the flowers are beautiful. I love the idea of a beautiful plant doing double duty: protecting my tomatoes and is edible. I will definitely be looking into that next year.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Borage flowers are somewhat insignificant. They are small compared to the rest of the plant, at least the ones I had were. I'm not growing it this year and have less hornworm problems.