Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Growing fruit along the back lane.

canadianplant
9 years ago

There is an overgrown ugly strip between my garden and the back lane I would like to utilize the best way I can.

I would like to try to grow some fruit there for a few reasons. The main one is space. The area is about three feet wide and in theory i could sneak down the whole length of the block, or at least a good 70+ feet across. I was thinking of putting some pollinators for my fruit trees there and it would be a bonus if i could actually eat the food off of them as well.

I am just wondering how bad the contamination of the cars would effect the growth and edibility of the plants. I do know that trees and shrubs are less effected by contamination then herbaceous foods.

The other thing im worried about is the abuse that they will more then likely take. I will have to prune then quite heavily along the lane side to try to stop cars from ripping branches off. There will be dogs and cats running along the laneway and dont forget the neighborhood kids.

The last thing im thinking of is lack of general care. I wont be watering the area at all, but will amend the soil at planting, as well as planting support species and ground covers to help hold water in the soil and slowly add nutrients to the soil.

Any advice is welcomed

Comments (6)

• marknmt
    9 years ago

Nanking cherries do well here, and you could let cars "prune" them as they drive by. Since leaded gas was eliminated exhaust fumes are thought to be much less a problem. I like snacking on them and people make jelly with the juice. Birds love 'em.

They're pretty tolerant and it's nice to have the early bloom. Don't know if they'd contribute to pollination, but they do draw some bees and such.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have seen a few Nankings here and they all seem to do quite well too. I grew a few from seed, and now only have one, 5 inch survivor. I have read that they can pollinate some plums but would really have to do some searching to confirm that.

The main thing I am needing to do is cram a pollinator for my Toka plum in my yard somewhere. Fortunately wild plums are the best pollinator, and are pretty tough to kill. The spines would detur all kinds of problems. Im just trying to get a hold of one.

Another though was a few of the Romance series cherries. They dont get much wider then a few feet, dont get too tall and are tough as nails.

It would also be nice to get a pollinator for my Honeygold apple. There are lots of crab apples in my neighborhood, and even a few producing apples. I could fit quite a few colunar apples or dwarfs there but they are a bit expensive to pull a "survival of the fittest" move on them.

• paully1
    9 years ago

Maybe try to grow a Belgian Fence or other espalier of fruit trees.

I use raspberries and asparagus as an edible hedge along the side of my corner lot.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Raspberries and blackberries were one of my first thoughts. Raspberries need practically no care but blackberries would need a bit of support and pruning. At least theyd fill the area in ASAP.

Espaliers could work but they would loose a bit of sun during the later half of the day.

• don555
    9 years ago

I don't think you'd want to go for something like the Romance cherries, because while they might be a perfect choice for such a spot, they will quickly attract neighbourhood pickers. A guy I know who was involved in community plantings, planted a bunch of Evans cherries plus saskatoons in the neighbourhood...good luck on finding them with ripe fruit, as people strip them before that (not so much on the saskatoons).

Raspberries would work well for you. Or native plums such as Canada plum or American plum. Native plums would be good pollinators for your plums, and can yield some high-quality fruit themselves.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i wouldnt mind sharing a bit :P Once things start producing Ill have more then what I can eat, even my two neighbors and I.

Canada plums were my first choice. I need it to pollinate my toka, but it is almost impossible to find pure strains. The more pure the better pollination. They would at least fill in lots of space eventually.