Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toller1

Two crops of peas?

toller1
9 years ago

This is my first year of a garden. I planted sugar snap peas. Apparently I missed a few, they fell to the ground and new plants came up. Now they are flowering!

Is two crops a year something that can be done in Western NY? I just figured that when my plants matured that was the end of it; but maybe not.

Comments (9)

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    9 years ago

Sugar snap peas are OP, so the seeds that fell on the ground will be true to the original type. Peas can endure temps down to the low 20s (with some damage), and mid 20s pretty easily. Growth and maturity will be FAR slower than spring peas, though. So the question is whether the peas on your plant can mature before the cold in WNY takes them out entirely.

• toller1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What does OP mean? I googled, but nothing came up.

This year the next two weeks are supposed to be in the 70s, with the first frost in November. So maybe I will get lucky this year.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

open pollinated

As opposed to hybrid. Seeds from open pollinated plants should produce 2nd generation seedlings like the parents. Seeds from hybrid plants tend to produce seedlings like neither the hybrid or either of its parents.

9 years ago

I think sugar snap peas are nominally harvestable 2 months after planting, but that's if the weather is nice and springlike. You might have a chance. Of course, you can pick them anytime. You don't need to wait until they get full-sized. So if a wicked freeze is headed your way, just pull 'em all off. I should note that snow pea *leaves* are actually pretty tasty stir-fried and in soups. Yep, that's "pea greens". You can buy them at many Chinese grocery stores. So pull everything off.

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

I planted English peas around the 1st August. They sulked for a while in the heat, but with the fall temps they are perking up, and it is looking pretty hopeful for fall peas (SE NY).

• Mark
    9 years ago

I'm not in western NY but I do plant a second crop of peas in mid-july and am now harvesting them. Temp stayed up near the 90's this summer and still the peas grew fine. Now that it's cooling down the peas are filling out and are sweet as can be.

I hope the surprise peas make it!

-Mark

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Mark - what variety of pea are you growing that can withstand that high heat in late summer.

9 years ago

Let's be careful here. I used to live in 8a (Western Oregon), and I now live in 8b (Central Texas). TOTALLY different. In Texas we have high 90s in the summer, dipping to high 70s at night. In Oregon, we had 90s in the daytime (well, not that often, but sometimes) with temps in the 50s and 60s at night. That will make a world of difference for peas. Peas don't mind heat, as long as it isn't sustained heat.

• Mark
    9 years ago

Super sugar snap seems to do best for me. It seems that if the peas are not producing during very hot weather, the plants, if keep watered well, do fine. I try to time the pea production to when the cooler weather starts.

And yes, it's likely the temperature difference can be substantial enough to succeed in some areas and fail in others. I sure hope that sharing my experience doesn't encourage anyone to try something for themselves......