Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warpiper

potting soil for purple passion?

warpiper
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

What is a good potting soil for a purple passion plant? I've just lost 2 of them. One I had in the gritty mix and the other in some Espoma potting mix. I was watering the plant in the gritty mix anywhere from once a day to once every other day. The one in the Espoma got watered every 3-4 days when it felt dry. Both looked like they just wilted and died. I noticed the water would run right through the gritty mix and I'd get back most of the cup I used minus maybe 3 tablespoons. The Espoma on the other hand, the water would just sit on top of the mix and over about 5 minutes start to sink in.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? Is there a better soil for me to use? I'm having similar issues with some peace lilies to but not to the same extent, Thanks.

Comments (10)

• christine1950
    9 years ago

I've had mine in Miracle Grow potting mix and added perlite for a very long time, I only water mine once a week in summer when the soil is close to dry, I find that if I keep the soil moist mine have rotted. The size of the pot matters also, to big of a pot is not good. I use the same soil for my peace lily, hope this helps.
    Christine

• ronalawn82
    9 years ago

Warpiper, I have found that purple passion (Gynura aurantiaca), New Guinea impatiens (Impatiens hawkeri) and peace lily (Spathiphyllum wallisii) when grown indoors can collapse quite dramatically when they dry out.
    One technique that worked for me was to set them in shallow plastic saucers and water them. Allow the drainage water to sit in the saucer (counter intuitive! I know ). In time this water will be drawn up in the potting soil and will be used up. From here keep a daily watch and at the first sign of wilt, water the plant as before. It is important that the soil in the lower part of the container will facilitate upward movement of water and keep the lower roots of the plant supplied with moisture.
    If you are so inclined, you can keep track of the amount of water and how many days between waterings.
    And one day you will be having lunch with a friend and you will remark that the leaves of your purple passion plants are curling right now; and you must water them this afternoon.
    Your friend would be skeptical at first; but will be amazed that you are 'exactly right!'

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I'm curios.....how long after transplanting your purple passion in the gritty mix did it die? And what were your ingredients for your gritty? I'm only asking bcuz I transplanted mine almost three weeks ago, I haven't had any problems yet. what did you notice first? Was your plant inside or out?

• warpiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Christine and ronalawn, I appreciate the feed back and advice. I will pick up some Miracle grow and another purple passion and try again. I'll also try letting some of the water stay in the bowl (using a cereal bowl as a saucer) and see if that helps. My only concern is that the plant may have wet feet. I let the water stay in the bowl when it was in the gritty mix but I don't think it was wicked up though.

• warpiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi LilBit,

In the gritty mix, it took about 2 weeks to die and in the Espoma mix it took about 2 weeks as well. I made the gritty mix with 1 part sifted pine bark fines (1/8-1/4 inch), one part crushed granite, and one part Turface. The first thing I noticed was the plant would start to wilt and lean/fall over. I would water it and it would come back but not 100%. After a while it would just lay there and not come back up. It was confusing because the stem and leafs would wilt but it almost looked like the base of the plant turned to mush. Both plants were inside in front of a shaded south facing window. Its interesting because the rabbit's foot fern I trans-potted seems to doing fine as is the dracaena I trans-potted. They both seem to be doing well. I also made a batch of the gritty mix for succulents and split up a jade plant and put it in the succulent mix and they seem to be doing well in it.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry you lost your plant. Thank you for telling me what to watch for. Good luck with your new one. :)

• BloomAddict
    9 years ago

My Mom had one that I potted in Miracle Grow cactus mix. It loved it and really took off. I watered it every free days and kept it in a brightly lit area. It started such a rich purple. I gave it away when she passed but I've been thinking about getting another. Good luck!

• warpiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi LilBit, your welcome. Good luck with yours too.

Hi BloomAddict, Thank you for the info. They are pretty when they get that deep purple. I'm sorry about your mom. With my mom, it was Christmas cactus'. I'll have to try them again too.

Chris

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

this thing will root in water.. in a week ...

next time you buy one... take a cutting or two.. and root it ...

and keep doing that.. until you perfect your media and watering protocol ...

this is a plant.. you should never have to buy twice ... just keep rooting more ..

its been decades since i had one ... the only thing the springs to mind in SC... is if you have it near an a/c duct ... many indoor plants are tropical .... or sub tropical .... and might not have a sense of humor about cold.. wet... media ... and you were watering a lot ... in other words.. a hothouse plant.. like warm moist roots ... not cold and soggy ... c&s ='s root rots ...

good luck

ken

• warpiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the great idea on the cuttings, I'll do that. The plant wasn't near any of the ac vents but I think it was the soil I was using. It either drained to quickly and didn't retain enough water or it held to much water and didn't give the roots any air. I'll play with it this weekend. :)

Chris