Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cabrita_gw

offer of artichoke seeds for SASE

cabrita
15 years ago

Artichokes are not only my favorite vegetable, they are my favorite food...so I feel very fortunate I have enough artichoke seeds that I could plant all along the Pacific ocean I think. Maybe I should?

OK, seriously, they are freshly harvested seeds, Globe green, obtained at a local farmer's market as seedlings (3 or 4 years ago), never been exposed to pesticides or chemical fertilizers. They are sprouting like they think they will go out of style. I cannot possibly plant all of those and have been harvesting and transplanting volunteers a lot. We wanted to change their location so we let two or 3 plants go to seeds. Beautiful thistles! blue violet color. They are very handsome plants and do take some space. The year before last we harvested about 50 artichokes from two plants. That was when artichoke raviolis were created (yum...)

In any case, if you want any seeds, send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I will put in one ounce (or whatever postage you put in the stamp) with seeds. Send me an email and I will give you my address. This way maybe there will be more artichokes in the world, always a good thing.

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Hi cabrita - please post this on the Exchange forum here - see the blue link right above your post that says "Discussions - Exchanges - Conversations. It is the exchange forum just for this Vegetable Gardening forum.

They created the exchange forum for us so that this discussion one wouldn't get buried in trade offers as often happens this time of year.

Thanks.

Dave

• dicot
    15 years ago

I keep getting an error message when I try and send you an email, Cabrita. I''m marcfevans@yahoo.com

• cottageflowers
    15 years ago

I would love to have some artichoke seeds. Sent you an email. Thanks, jenny.

• cottageflowers
    15 years ago

I tried to email you too and couldn't. My email is lucknetmg@comcast.net thanks, jenny.

• cabrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wonder why my email is not working for this site? it should...in any case it is:

rosetalleo@gmail.com

So folks can just contact me there directly instead of going trough this site.

Jenny and Marc, you guys have mail.

• cabrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Artichoke Raviolis

Use round or square gyoza or shu mai wrappers (or wonton)

Use corn starch mixed with water to make the 'glue' to seal them

Use two wrappers per ravioli unless you want to fold them into triangles or half moons to make them small.

Artichoke filling
    1 1/2 cups mashed artichoke pulp (steam 5-6 medium artichokes)
    1 cup ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    1 raw garlic clove and 1/2 cup flat parley leaves, finely chopped
    salt to taste
    black pepper to taste

Mix everything up really well. It helps to cook the artichokes very well so the pulp is very soft and easy to take out and mash.

Sauce:
    olive oil
    Salt and black freshly ground pepper
    Garlic (3-4 cloves)
    Fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped (to make ~2 cups)
    Vegetable broth (1-2 cups)
    Dried marjoram to taste
    Good Parmesan grated for top

Sautee garlic in olive oil making sure you do not burn it and right away add chopped tomatoes, salt, marjoram and allow it to cook to become a fresh looking tomato sauce. Use the broth to thin it to the desired consistency. The sauce will thicken when baking so start with a little thinner than desired sauce.

Make sauce for chosen raviolis, use a flat not too deep pan (you will be placing one ravioli deep, so it will be shallow). Put enough sauce on pan and place assembled raviolis on it. To assemble put about 1 tbs
    of filling on a square, moisten both surfaces that will seal, shape filling into a square and place top wanton wrapper on top, sealing it into a pouch. I use a fork and seal them this way. Practice with a couple and the third one should come out right!

Place the assembled raviolis on the sauces (already on the flat pan) and when they are all assembled pour the rest of the sauce on top and the grated Parmesan on top. Bake at 375 for only 15-25 minutes (look at it after 15 minutes and decide if done, or it need 5 or 10 more minutes). Should be golden but of course not burnt. Yes, the wanton wrappers (ravioli paste shells) will cook in the sauce, no problem.

• rjinga
    15 years ago

I would love to have some if there are any more available. I grew some this year from seed, but they did not seem to do anything. Even planted in the ground I have only ONE that is growing and it's been forever (like all spring & summer too) and it's still only 3 or 4 inches tall. But I have hope and I LOVE artichoke too. my email is crcofca@aol.com

• cabrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They seem to take two years to produce, so it is a time and space investment. For me the first year all 3 plants in z9b produced one choke, then a flower/thistle. They were planted at the wrong time (spring) and now they are about 1 1/2 feet tall. On z9 they are older, the second year the production was about 15/20 artichokes per plant staggered over about 6 weeks or so. They got to be about 5 ft tall.

The area of half Moon bay is known as the artichoke capital of the USA. Look up the climate, foggy, overcast, cool, mild. Sunflowers are supposed to be companion plants for them, I do use them to shade and plant them in the shadier spots in my (sunnier then Half Moon Bay) climate.

rjinga you have mail.

I will be giving away 30 seeds, since as I said, they are large plants. If you need more please let me know.

• thepodpiper
    15 years ago

cabrita, I am trying to contact you about a trade but I cannot get your address from your member's page. Please contact me.

Dale (thepodpiper)

• cabrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dale, my email is

rosetalleo@gmail.com

I am now low on artichoke seeds but still have a few so I can send you some.

• thepodpiper
    15 years ago

cabrita, I was actually looking at something else on your list but i love artichoke. If i can grow them successfully in Mich. hold me a few.

Dale

• dicot
    15 years ago

There's a whole lot of family and friends getting multiple 4" pots of artichokes for Christmas. I tossed them all in a flat and got almost 100% germination. I now have 10 artichokes around the yard in various places, so I will be using that ravioli recipe soon.