Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jousley_gw

Pomegranate tree or something else? SoCal..

jousley
9 years ago

Hey all - this is my first post - and I am a newb at fruit trees and the such. I have been spending the last few years fixing up our "old" house and have finally gotten the time to address the backyard.
I grew my first garden in some planter boxes this year and learned that I have a lot to learn. But now I am turning my attention to our fruit trees.
We have 4 trees in an area next to our fence - 2 orange, 1 lime, and 1 grapefruit. I have been adding the appropriate citrus amendments and the trees are starting to respond. But I have room for one more fruit tree.. I would LOVE to have a pomegranate tree because I love them. the new tree would be about 6' from the others.
things you need to know:
I have a HUGE ash tree in the middle of the backyard - the biggest tree on the block. it provides shade almost all day. as you can guess my citrus trees suffer, but are able to produce a decent crop. I want a fruit tree that can handle the 3-5 hours of sun a day, and was hoping for pom..

If this can't happen, what do you suggest? lemon tree? I could use that.. and all the amendments would be the same.. so maybe that's the answer if not the pom.

Let me know your thoughts as I'm just figuring out the complexities of various fruit, etc and their requirements for planing and being fruitful. Also, I'm in SoCal - zone 10. All help, knowledge, advice appreciated.

J.

Comments (3)