Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katefisher_gw

My first foray into the world of Garden Junk..,

katefisher
17 years ago

Thought I would share a quick picture taken this morning of my very first adventure with Garden junk! Last weekend my husband's poor old chair finally gave up the ghost and basically fell apart while he was sitting in it. Once we established he was alright and his manly ego was smoothed I gently asked if I could have his destructed rocker? Naturally he thought I was crazy but after I explained how it would make a cool planter he got right on board and started pulling out pots to see which would fit and pieced it back together for the task.

Please excuse the messy flower bed, only just started working on it this year. Have what's left of my three yards of delivered dirt sitting behind under the brown tarp also. So not the most aesthetically background but you get the idea.

Thanks for the good ideas found in this forum. Also debating about whether to plant my sweet pea seeds of the little hyacinth vine under the chair. Tough decision.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:28139}}

Comments (14)

• gardener64
    17 years ago

Great chair Kate, I did not see a messy bed, mine are a mess LOL
    I vote sweet pea and wind them up the back of chair.
    Welcome and keep at it
    Sharon

• User
    17 years ago

Gee Kate, your "messy" bed looks better than my finished ones! lol

I love the chair, couldn't it be repaired for the house? It looks like a great porch chair. I vote sweet pea too.

• katefisher
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks folks for the feedback on the chair and my flower bed. Maybe messy isn't quite the right word, more like naked or unfinished. Also the day my stepson removes his car from my driveway I will kiss the ground it has become permanently parked on! But my bed is coming along slowly..,

Marti8a, the rocker actually was his porch chair. I bought him two and he has broken both of them. At 6'4" my husband is not a small person and is sometimes quite hard on furniture. That poor ole chair really could not handle any more weight than a pot full of annuals at this point:-)

Sounds like I need to start germinating my sweet pea seeds. Thanks for your thoughts.

Kate

• princess_mimi
    17 years ago

Lovely! Your bed looks fine to me! The chair looks terrific! Keep posting pics!

~~Mimi

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I had to go back and look at the tarp. Guess I thought it was a big rock in the background. ha Love your rocker. ~Anj

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

Awesome!!! I vote to plant the seeds too(-: I think your flower bed looks wonderful(-:

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

Great rocker and plant. I had to look for the tarp since you mentioned it,lol. I have a locally made rocker from the Dedeaux Family in Gulfport, it should never break!

Here is a link that might be useful: oak furniture

• foxygrandma9
    17 years ago

Great chaie love it, I to had to go back and look for the tarp. Good job.

• katefisher
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So much positive feedback. I'm overwhelmed but in a good way of course. Thank you everyone. Glad to hear that you all think it's pretty neat also.

Regarding my tarp apparently that is my own little obsession as far as it being a total eyesore. If the weather cooperates I will get outside over the weekend and make it go away. Takes time to move all that dirt I dare say.

When I get my bed the way I want it I will post another picture and again it is great to hear from all of you.

Kate

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Beautiful garden chair planter, it really looks nice in the area there. Welcome to the forum, you'll have a fantastic time, wonderful folks. It's like chatting with ole' friends every day.

Sal

• cait1
    17 years ago

Beautiful! Welcome to the Wonderful World of Junk! Glad to hear the only thing bruised a bit was DH's ego. You'll have to post a follow-up pic later in the season when the garden bed is established and the flowering vine covers the rocker.

But messy? ROFL - if you could see all the curbshopped items lining my drive then you'd really know what messy looks like!

Cait

• busdriver12
    17 years ago

anyone notice how green and healthy her grass looks-wow.

• Bright199
    17 years ago

You get a gold star for your first project!! Keep the pictures comming.

• katefisher
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I really have to say I'm impressed. Everyone here has been so encouraging, welcoming and positive. Thank you for so many good thoughts! Reading your posts this week has been great fun and I've enjoyed hearing what everyone had to say.

On the topic of further projects (besides finishing my flower bed) we bought a wonderful old small twin headboard from the neighbors yard sale last weekend for $20. Normally that is more than I would pay but the headboard is great and we learned recently the neighbors are having some financial challenges so we were able to help in a very small way.

When we get that together will post again. Have a great weekend all.

Kate

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH