Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uptomyeyeballs

? for those who have a made a bug bottle

uptomyeyeballs
16 years ago

So I would like to make some bugs with my young kids.

I want to know the easiest way that you have found to do the wings.

Is it better to make the wings and then attach them by wrapping the wire around the bottle?

Any other ideas to make it simple for young children would be great! I was thinking of giving them a piece of my thin copper wire and letting them freestyle the wings and then I would attach them. Hmmmm I am working on it.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• User
    16 years ago

I'm looking forward to reading the replies to your question. I haven't made a bottle bug but found three bottles and a tiny blue vase today.

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

I am a bit lazy, well a lot....like to do stuff fast. I left a tail on my wire, wrapped the wire around my hand 8 times and left another tail. Used one tail to bind off the wings. I moved the wire apart after I places on the bottle, using the 'tails to wrap around the bug bottle.

Kids could wrap the wire around cardboard or light plastic and then bend it to remove...use tail to secure. Maybe they could use wired ribbon and glue it on the body. I know mama will keep that bug in the house. You know they could use an egg shape foam ball for the body also. Pipe cleaners also work for wings or legs.

Wnen I made dragonflies, I made the circuls and then twisted in the middle to make the wings. Then those tails were wrapped around the middle of the wings.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

I pretty much did the same. Just folded the wire, kind of like making a ribbon. Then I wrapped the wire around to keep the wings together. I used a seperate piece to wrap around the bottle then attached the wings. I used a drop of GEII to keep the wings in place. Can't wait to see pictures of yours.

• wired
    16 years ago

Do you folks hang these or attach them to something? I guess they would need a loop for hanging or wire to attach it to a pole of some sort. Sometimes I'm so dense!
    Thanks for your help.

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

The first big one I made, I added wire later. The small one, I used one of the tails to wrap it on and the second tail was used to twist a loop in and then wrapped the rest of the wire around also.

• uptomyeyeballs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I like the idea of letting the kids wrap the wire around a piece of cardboard and I think that will work best for the wings. I want them to participate as much as possible so these bugs are truly "theirs". I think I will have them attach the half marble eyes with glue dots so that the placement is theirs and then come back with ge silicone II to make them permanent.
    I made a sample one last night to try it out and it turned out cute. I just wish I had found colored bottles, but I only found clear. But I had to postpone the school class so maybe I can keep looking at the TS of course if I want to I can always resort to that stained glass paint for mine.
    Thanks for your help!

• donna1442
    16 years ago

I was at a craft show last year and a lady was making bugs of all kinds. She used a very thin wire for wings and then wrapped them in tiny strip of colored saran wrap. Once you have wraped the wings with the tiny strips take a hair dryer to it on high...it kind of melts the saran wrap and you have a wing. If I remember correctly she had red, green,blue and yellow. Dont know if this would help you or not. You might want to try it with any saran wrap you already have and see if you can get it to work for the size you need. Good luck.

Donna

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County