Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coyle_gw

What are some good hanging houseplants?

coyle
14 years ago

Hello, I have 6 of those coconut fiber hanging baskets in front of my shady windows, not much direct sun but I do keep the blinds open. The tops are above the window so the hanging part will get the light.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Off the top of my head:

any number of pothos varieties
    hoyas
    strawberry begonia/saxifraga stolonifera
    string of beads/senecio rowleyanus
    Aeschynanthes
    some begonias
    columnea
    asparagus densiflirus
    rosary vine /ceropegia woodii
    spider plant
    English ivy
    philodendrum chordatum
    stonecrop/ sedum
    for something exotic amd provided there's enough light on the drooping parts, try dendrobium anosmum

to get great ideas, visit logees.com. They have a whole section on hanging plants for sale.

Keep on mind also that you don't have to direct pot the plant into the basket. You can (and I highly recommend since it's indoors) place the plant, pot and all, into the basket with a drip tray so you can water in olae without having to take the whole shebang to the sink to water to let the water drain out.

• amccour
    14 years ago

I'm a big fan of Platycerium bifurcatum, also known as the staghorn fern. Unlike a lot of ferns, they're not really particular about pH or humidity or soil quality, and they're also somewhat succulent. They CAN be rot prone, I've heard, and they don't really like it if you let them wilt constantly, but watering's not really particularly difficult. I have noticed that young plants are sort of prone to spontaneous collapse. Larger ones are a lot easier for some reason. Also they really benefit from going outside in the summer, and they don't grow constantly. Individual fronds last about three years before falling off. sort of prone to scales. It's not particularly hard to keep scale in check on these, though, because the foliage is really sturdy compared to a lot of ferns. Also the shape of the fronds make it fairly easy to spray them down/scrape if necessary.

Also there's lots of cool hanging cacti. Rhipsalis salicornioides is a nice one. You probably want to avoid the spiny ones because I DOUBT you want spiny plants at eye level :) Epiphyllums are one of the coolest things in the world and I'd have one if they didn't get huge.

• coyle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, I have wandering jew all over here, it's great stuff.
    We've got 30yr old staghorns that area about 6ft diameter.
    Those goldfish type plants are my favorites and I'll check into the hanging dendrobiums, they sound neat. Thank you!

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi, I agree with putting a plant inside the lined basket, it owuld be easier to water and also, the coco fiber would cause the soild to dry out very fast. . .

With that being said, I'd like to suggest an oak leaf or grape leaf ivy. They hang nicely and don't require a lot of light. They are so full that it doesn't take a lot of plant to fill an area.

Have fun choosing. . . let us know what you decide on. . .

Maid~

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Coyle, can you attach an extension to lower plants, so all parts get equal sunlight?
    When you water, will you have to remove each plant so water doesn't pour out? lol
    Which direction does your window face?

Terpguy, you've suggested really nice hanging plants, but unless Coyle lowers the pot so it gets enough sun, some plants won't get enough light..Eg: Sedum, Aeschynanthes and Hoyas.

Josh, how ya doing? I love the colors of your WJ..What is Sub-50F??? lol

Hey Maid..how are you? Long time no see, huh? It's funny you mentioned Grape Ivy..I added one to my collection last winter..it really looks nice hanging, and such a fast-grower, too. Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Hey, Toni!
    I'm doing well, thank you! I'm glad to see you posting.
    This Fall, I've exposed my WJ to temps in the 40°F's....and none of the foliage died.
    I was surprised. It's back inside now, safe from the frost.

Josh

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus