Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iheartroscoe

Best Vegetable Seed Catalogs...

iheartroscoe
16 years ago

I'm going to start a vegetable garden in the Spring and wanted to hear everyone's favorite vegetable catalogs.

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• digit
    16 years ago

The one I order the most from is Johnny's.

Steve's digits

• gratefuled
    16 years ago

For information, Johnny's. For aesthetics, Fedco. For variety, Seed Savers' Exchange. For prices, Pinetree Garden.

Ed

• dangould
    16 years ago

By far the very best seed catalog I have ever seen has to be the 2008 Baker Creek Heirloom Seed catalog.

I also like Johnnys. I like to buy seeds from Fedco for best prices. And I like Sandhill Preservation because they are dedicated to preserving our genetics. My Johnnys has not arrived as yet. I already placed big orders with Fedco and then Sandhill so far this month. I have smaller orders with other companies. All this before getting in my Baker Creek catalog. I am working an order for them. I am very impressed by Baker Creek.

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just received the Baker Creek catalog and I'm trying to decide what to order. I'll put the other catalogs on order.

Thanks again!

• suburbangreen
    16 years ago

I've only been a gardener for a year, but I have a had good success with Victory Seeds. They seem pretty rigorous about giving good quality seeds.
    My germination results have been great, nearly 100%. They also have filled my orders very quickly. Check them out online.

Pete

• fruithack
    16 years ago

Johnny's. Seeds of Change. Territorial. Totally Tomatoes.

• oldroser
    16 years ago

Another vote for fedco. Hard to beat those prices and the number of different varieties is incredible.

• shapiro
    16 years ago

I order from Stokes Seeds and also some from Terra Edibles, a Canadian organic seed source. We also order greens and mescluns from Cook's Garden.

• hotzcatz
    16 years ago

(You can copy and paste the URLs into your web browser.)

This one for inexpensive seeds:
    http://www.valueseeds.com/

The seeds are viable and germinate, but they come in small white packets with the name and date stamped on the front. No other instructions, pictures or information. Good inexpensive seed, though.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/seed/

This is the website for the University of Hawaii seeds. I use their seed since it has been preselected for my growing conditions. It probably wouldn't do as well in colder climates. However, the university nearest to your garden may have a seed program where you can get seeds preselected for your area from them.

http://tomatogrowers.com/index.html
    More types of tomatoes than you knew could possibly exist!

http://www.rareseeds.com/index.php?page=indexpage
    Baker Creek Heirloom seeds

http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/main_vegies.html
    Victory Seeds

• lantanascape
    16 years ago

Pinetree is my favorite so far, because most seed packets are from $1 to $2, so it's not too expensive to build up a nice collection of different varieties.

I also like Territorial, Tomato Grower's Supply, and Baker Creek.

Based on what I've read here, I stay far away from Reimer's

• bb
    16 years ago

I try to limit my seed sources to a very few to save on shipping. I've found over the past few years, Stokes and Johnnies has 99% of everything I need or want. If I want to go that extra mile and get something extra special I'll look at seedsavers.

• janevx
    16 years ago

I like to order from Seed Savers Exchange, John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds, and Seeds of Change. Great selection, good corporate/organizational missions & philosophies and ok prices. I have always had excellent germination from them so if they cost a little more it's worth it. I hate wasting my time (and money) with inferior seeds and plants. Good luck!

• jimster
    16 years ago

For presentation and growing info -- Territorial

For widest selection of the varities I want to grow -- Sandhill Presevation

For oriental seeds -- Evergreen

For Italian seeds in large packets -- Growitalian

There are many others too numerous including several of those mentioned above (including those mentioned above) that I use for special reasons.

The four above have on-line catalogs, as do most seed companies.

Jim

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again everyone! I received my Territorial Seed catalog today and my vegetable seed list is growing larger!

• jimster
    16 years ago

Here's a bit of advice. I hope I don't spoil your fun by giving it.

BEFORE placing the seed order, make a layout of your garden on paper. Order only enough different seeds to fit that layout. I'm sure it will require ruthlessly trimming the list. But you won't be faced with the impossible task later of fitting everthing into a too small space.

I don't expect you will be able to adhere strictly to this advice because I have been unable to do it myself. But I try and it helps.

Jim

• paulallen
    16 years ago

Ditto with Ed. However, I would add Park for great customer service. Good luck. Enjoy.