Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bart1_gw

Apple picking/storing/eating resource?

bart1
11 years ago

Is there any resource out there that describes the various types of apples and then tells when to pick them and how long to store them, etc?

I often come across interesting little tidbits about certain types of apples like "flavor improves after 2 months in storage" or "leave on tree until color is deep yellow and no green remains" or "flavor improves after frost", or "eat immediately after picking", things like that.

I usually find these things in random places like posts in Gardenweb, or a fruit catalog, or a random website but I'd like to locate one master resource or authorty on the subject. Does such thing exist? If not are there some good places to look for this kind of information?

Thanks,

Bart

Comments (6)

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Hi Go to apple-works.com This is a great site for apple info that is basic.

• bart1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

That's a pretty good start for me. I think they have all my apples covered except for Spartan.

I guess my best bet would be to keep my own database/apple library and grab any information I find from Gardenweb posts or other sources.

• bart1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To answer my own question and maybe help some others out, I found this site:

http://www.orangepippin.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple picking/eating/storage and more

• pinc06
    11 years ago

Hi all

I'm just starting to branch out into apples (and grafting) and have gotten a great deal of good info from this website. This particular page lists a great many types of apples along with notes on taste, time of harvest and other occasional tidbits of info. They also have another page that breaks down into lists for best storage, piemaking, frost hardy etc. At the bottom of that page is a list of disease resistant varieties that itemizes each disease and how strong the resistance is. Very handy for me who wishes to minimize spraying. I learned stuff even from the glossary page. Dessert apple just means one you can eat as is. Subacid means both sweet and tart flavors come thru. I worked that one over for a while till I stumbled on their glossary page.

HTH

Pam in cinti

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Homestead

• bart1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Pam, that's a great site!

For Scott Smith or anyone else looking to grow some "weird" or rare varieties, you should check out that site. They have tons of varieties that I've never heard of.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

I mainly use the British book The New Book of Apples, it has 2000 varieties with harvest and usage information in it. Unfortunately its not freely available, and the dates need to be adjusted for your climate. The orangepippin site looks like it "borrowed" a bunch of the information from the book.

The Urban Homestead looks like a nice outfit, I don't know much about them. Bart, I usually spend the winter reading through old apple descriptions and I have heard of nearly all of theirs. I get something warm inside reading apple descriptions in the middle of a deep freeze :-) My favorite apple books are the older ones, Downing, Beach, and Coxe. You can get a lot of good information on older US varieties from those books and they are free on the Internet.

Scott