Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Anyone Grows Blondie Apple?

I just saw this apple at a farmer's market. It is hard to find any info about this apple. It looks like a Golden Delicious. Not sure about the taste. Smells good.

{{gwi:124285}}

Comments (3)

• olpea
    9 years ago

From what I've read, Blondee is a Gala type apple (yellow sport). Below is the patent on it. I ordered three trees for next season.

I have a friend who has an apple orchard in the area. His favorite summer apple is Zestar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blondee Patent

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Redsun...you are having difficulty finding information on it because you as well as that farmer's market vendor are spelling it incorrectly. It's "Blondee".
    It sounds like a pretty good apple from the description and that market vendor's seemed to size up pretty well. I tend to be more attracted to red/reddish varieties personally. ACN and Starks both sell it. It's a brand new apple, just introduced for sale in 2013.

DESCRIPTION

Blondee is a clear yellow apple with smooth skin. Its flavor is both sweet and tart, and the firm, crisp flesh does not bruise easily, lending it a long storage life. It is a slow-browning apple when sliced. Look for Blondee in early September.

HISTORY

Blondee is a new variety on the market, first discovered by Tom and Bob McLaughlin of Portsmouth, Ohio around 2000.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Redsun...if you read all the way down at the bottom of Olpea's link you will see this apple has below average disease resistance.
    We've talked before and I think you are looking to get in to growing apples and are searching for varieties to grow...is that right?
    If so, I would look for something with better DR, but that's just me. You live in the same climatic petri-dish I live in and for me it's susceptibility to fireblight would be a deal breaker for me, not to mention it's susceptibility to the other bad guys. There are tons of varieties that at least have similar descriptions, but far better DR. Goldrush is one such variety although later, but is field immune to fireblight and scab, but yields to CAR rather easily. It has a long reputation as a very good apple is is a better keeper (than almost everything apparently) and can be used for more than just fresh eating. It is also more widely available which may make it easier to obtain if ordering several varieties and wanting to use one source to save on shipping.
    Just something to consider.