Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffjangell

Some part good...Some parts not so good

jangell
15 years ago

Most of the lawn looks good and is coming in nicely but some of it is does not look good.

I think it is a combination of Poa and some other types of grass...Not the ind I want to come in.

What should I do?

I live in Seattle, WA...The grass seed I used was:

39% Fescue

19% ryegrass

19% red Fescue

10% KBG

9% Ryegrass

I have some areas that get lots of sun and some areas that get only partial sun.

{{gwi:89713}}

{{gwi:89714}}

{{gwi:89716}}

{{gwi:89717}}

{{gwi:89718}}

{{gwi:89719}}

{{gwi:89720}}

{{gwi:89721}}

{{gwi:89722}}

Comments (12)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

I think you might be mowing too short. Most of the grasses you listed prefer a higher mower setting (3 to 4 inches).

The creeping red fescue and the KBG should fill in any bare spots.

Since you get frequent precipitation, it's probably more difficult to let the surface of the soil dry out to discourage weed germination, but if you can get the grass to fill in and mow it a little higher, the weeds won't have room to germinate.

I can't tell what the yellowing is. I can think of a few possibilities. It might be that one of the types of grass is reacting poorly to the low mower height. It might be a grassy weed. It might be a fungus. Or it might be nitrogen deficiency. But if it were nitrogen deficiency, I would expect it to be less patchy.

I would first try raising the mower height. If you haven't fertilized yet, I'd give it some fertilizer. If those two things clear it up, we're done. If not, post some new pictures with the fertilized grass at the new height and we can go from there.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    15 years ago

I agree with bp green. You have a hodgepodge of different grasses there and it looks like some of it is getting scalped.
    Did you procure your seed locally? I was under the impression that the only turf recommended for PNW is rye.

• jangell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did get my seeds locally...From a nursery.

I put down Scotts TB with Moss Killer yesterday...I did mow a little lower than normal to give the moss killing agent a chance to get to teh moss itself.

I will raise the mower back up and post some more photos in a couple of weeks.

I am also thinking that I should overseed here before the weather goets to "hot" (relative term in the PNW)

Any reccomendations on Seed type for my area and from what you see?

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

If you're worried about the bare spots, those will fill in with the KBG if you leave them alone.

Do you still have the bag of grass seed? Or can you visit the nursery and read the bag? What I'm concerned about is the analysis of the seed. It might list the weed seeds that were also in the bag. The more expensive seed mixes will have 0.00% Other Crop and 0.00% Weed Seed.

• jangell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

.10% other crop
    1.31% inert matter
    .05% weed seed

Noxious Weeds: None Found

dchall_san_antonio are you suggeting buying straight KGB seed? If so, do you have any reccomendations?

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

I'm suggesting that the 10% KBG that you already planted will fill in the bare spots. As to the color variation, I'm guessing that you can account for that between the variety of grasses, the other crop, and the weeds. If that is okay with you then I think you are good to go. Just give the KBG time to fill in. Mulch mow it high and water infrequently and deeply as you can. Fertilize again on Memorial Day and the whole yard should green up. There will be color variation but perhaps less variation than you see now. You should see significant improvement in density by then, too.

For others who are reading this, the photos are an example of what that quality of grass seed looks like after it comes in. It is very possible to buy pure seed with no other crop or weeds.

For those considering buying cool season grass, here is a link for KBG seed selections that should work everywhere cool season grasses thrive.

• garycinchicago
    15 years ago

> ".10% other crop"
    > ".05% weed seed"

That could be an awful lot of creeping bent seeds!

Those first few pictures sure look like dormant bent.

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

I could be wrong, but I think Iforgotitsonevermind is correct that PRG (Perennial Rye Grass) is best suited for you. The others don't deal as well with the damp conditions you see for so much of the year. Rye doesn't do all that well in heat, so you may see some die then. Since Rye is a bunch grass, you may need to reseed periodically.

On the bright side, rye germinates very quickly.

I think if I were in your shoes, I'd get some perennial rye seed and overseed with that in late summer/early fall. Basically, I'd reseed as soon as the heat breaks and you're getting the daily rains.

• jangell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"For others who are reading this, the photos are an example of what that quality of grass seed looks like after it comes in. It is very possible to buy pure seed with no other crop or weeds. "

I hate to be the Before guy...But oh well...Learn as I go.

Can anyone reccomend a good online grass seed company that can help me get eh correct seed for what I want to do?

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

jangell, yes we all learn as we go. Yours could be much worse, believe me. I think yours will be much better in June after the KBG fills in and the late spring fertilizer hits.

I don't think you need to seed but below is a link to seed suppliers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Supplier List

• eriocaulon
    15 years ago

some of the lime green patches remind me of roughstalk bluegrass which actually loves cool damp weather. I too have heard it said that PRG is the cool season grass of choice for the PNW. Your summers do not get that hot so I would think spring overseeding would be pretty successful.

Aside from the very yellow patches, I don't think the lawn looks too bad though.

• jangell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dchall_san_antonio

And if I want that "golf course Fairway look" (I guess it closer to the fist cut of rough at the masters...

Waht kind of seed should I overseed wtih?