Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timbo4020

20 Horsepower V-twin Briggs & Stratton bending pushrods

timbo4020
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and looking for a little help. I have a 20 horesepower V-twin Briggs, bending both intake, and exhaust valve pushrods. I took the head in question off, found minimal carbon in the valve guides, valve seats look good. One of the guides does appear to have moved upwards toward th valve spring, as compared to the other head. Another thing that puzzles me is that the exhaust valve on the "good cylinder" does'nt travel very far when the engine is turned over by hand. Could this be a possible worn camshaft?

Engine model is 407577 Type 0292 E1 Code 040107YG Thank you in advance

Comments (16)

• walt2002
    15 years ago

"One of the guides does appear to have moved upwards toward th valve spring, as compared to the other head."

Don't think I have ever heard of both push rods bending at the same time. One must have gotten over into the other. The valve guide coming loose and coming part way out is typical of causing the push rod to bend as the valve spring keeper comes down and hits the valve guide.

B&S says there is no repair, takes a new head which they have been replacing for some people up to 3 year old engines. I do have a fix for this IF all else fails.

As for the cam shaft, I have not heard of that engine having camshaft trouble but it should move about the same amount as the other valves.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at verizon dot net

• tomplum
    15 years ago

Walt, tell us about resetting the guides. Did you use any loctite or just knurl for a tight fit? How long have you gone so far w/o any re-occurrence?

• walt2002
    15 years ago

"Walt, tell us about resetting the guides. Did you use any loctite or just knurl for a tight fit? How long have you gone so far w/o any re-occurrence?"

I haven't actually tried "My Fix" myself. I have suggested it to others for a couple of years. I have had no feed back on long term results.

This is going to get long. MY fix was intended for those heads that were bored with a stop ridge where the valve guided "bottomed" out and consisted of cutting a shallow grove around the valve guide with the top edge even with the surface of the head, seating the valve guide and peening the aluminum of the head around, into, the recess, as you would do with a valve seat.

Others have since told me that the heads no longer have a "stop ridge" but are bored the same dia. all the way thru and they have been cutting 3 shallow groves and filling them with Loctite. This was a machinist and claimed he had done it multiple times and Loctite held. I was concerned about heat and Loctite.

A friend tried just Loctite and it did not hold.

Logic says my fix is permanent where it can be used.

Walt Conner

• walt2002
    15 years ago

Well make that Grooves, not Groves, don't cut any trees around the valve guide.

I think my fix should work whether there is a bottom stop ridge or not.

Walt Conner

• tomplum
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing Walt. It is one of those things that really don't need much to hold them in- just enough to do the job. The question always is what is just enough!

• timbo4020
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Walt. I appreciate the input, I may try to fix it, or may just get a new head, I'll see what my local machine shop says. If I do get a new head, I wonder if Briggs has redesigned the head to correct this?

Yes, I agree, it is odd to see both push rods bent, but they are, and I dont know why.

• dottie581
    14 years ago

We have a 24 horsepower V Twin Briggs & Stratton riding lawn mower that has the same problems. We have had it to the shop and cost us over 150.00 to have fixed, and yet we still have the same problems. we don't know what to do to fix the problem. Bought the mower from sears. Have heard a lot of problems from other people that are having the same problem of the push rod either sticking or just popping out, or bending. I don't know even if a new head is going to fix the problem. if u come up with anything that does, or if we do, Let us know and we will do the same. good luck.

• walt2002
    14 years ago

"We have had it to the shop and cost us over 150.00 to have fixed, and yet we still have the same problems. we don't know what to do to fix the problem."

Have you checked to see that the cooling fins and cooling shroud are clean? Usually overheating from plugged cooling system starts this. What the heck did they do for $150 since you say you don't know if a new head will cure it? I would have assumed that was a new head.

Anyway, I have already given the "fix" above. I have not gotten any report of it failing.

Whatever you do, I suggest you use some Marvel Mystery Oil per instructions on the can. Some people claim that ethanol fuel is causing valves to stick. I have no opinion on that.

Walt Conner

• dottie581
    14 years ago

the cooling fins are fine, and we have to replace the push rods again, the one just popped out and the other one was bent again. this has been going on since pretty much at the start of owning this mower. I will suggest the marvel mystery oil to my husband. thanks

• tomplum
    14 years ago

The guide out of position would be an indicator that the head has issues. What does yours look like? Loose rocker studs/ arms can cause 1 rod to pop out and the other to bend.

• walt2002
    14 years ago

"Loose rocker studs/ arms can cause 1 rod to pop out and the other to bend."

Good thought.

Walt Conner

• lwguillory_aol_com
    12 years ago

I am presently working on a 22 h.p. that seized a connecting rod. Seems to me that tolerances are set a little tight on everything,or the heat is not getting cooled down enough. Maybe even going to bigger rods and see what gives next

• Johnnie Davis
    8 years ago

I have a 24HP Briggs with both pushrods bent AND the exhaust pushrod (where the guide pulled out of the head) has vanished! Must be in the bottom end???? Ever hear of this?

• Johnnie Davis
    8 years ago

Thanks Walt. Pulling the engine today!

• Johnnie Davis
    8 years ago

Replaced 24hp els with new 25hp els. Have not checked RPM but sounds slower than original engine on my Scag 48" Tiger Cub. Any idea what engine max rpm should be on this mower?